Severn

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Look forward to reading how you get on mate.
Looking forward to finding out mate. Whenever I fish the Severn it’s with no expectations as it’s just so different to the Thames and Avon here so I don’t really know what I’m doing therefore is always a bit of a case of winging it!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
As I mentioned in the main forum, I was going to go on the weir this evening but there were 3 people already on the 2 pegs there so I decided I'd go and get some bait anyway and went on the Severn. Driving down the A442 I was headed to the Danery again but pass Quatford on the way and noticed only one car parked there, so decided to go to Quatford instead.

I jumped on the first peg I came to on some advice to try some different pegs, it also saved me a walk, but I think I could have chose a better 'different' peg. I haven't heard of much coming out of these few pegs before, this ones a bit shallow, but could be good this time of year right? Anyway, it also had a tree above me which meant casting was uncomfortable again. More of a flick than a cast.

2022-07-06 14.41.11.jpg

I had a few small Dace with a few equally small Chublets.

2022-07-06 15.09.59.jpg

I was fishing a maggot feeder with maggots caster hemp again and although it was quite fun catching the small stuff I hoped for something bigger so tried worm.

That brought only Perch.

2022-07-06 16.55.15.jpg

I had 4 or 5 'nice' ones up to about 12oz but also a few small ones that were ragging my worm. If I was doing YouTube videos I could title it, "TINY fish on HUGE worm". :LOL:

I'd be lucky if I had 5lb of fish in total and no proper Chub or Barbel showed. I drove home with George Ezra going round in my head, "Green green grass, blue blue sky, I better catch a Barbel next time I go" 🎵

I think I will be back on pellets next time I go, just to see, though there's a lot of small fish about at the moment. Could be fun on the float, if I can stomach a bait bill for them, as essentially a lot of small Dace and Chublets about.

Was nice to try a different peg but I won't be going back on this one in a hurry, not least because of the tree making casting difficult.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice perch by the sounds of it. Might be worth a trot there if no bleak.

I can sympathise with the tree as the peg I was in on Sunday has a bit more canopy than it did last year and almost every time the breeze lowered the branch above me by a couple inches I clipped it usually just knocking the bait off but on 4 occasions it claimed the flipping hook as well! Wasn’t many leaves left on that branch by the end of the session mind you so should be less bother next time I’m in it 😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah the Perch were alright mate but I was back on pellets and boilies for a quick sensible length evening session at Quatford today.

I was a bit worried with it being a Saturday that I wouldn't get on Quatford, let alone the first choice peg, but no one really seems to fish it. There were two cars there when I arrived. I walked past one angler and probably another that I missed tucked away in one of the many holes. After a fairly long walk to the second meadow, I arrived at what I used to call the overhanging tree peg because of a tree on the far bank. I should now call it the fallen tree peg! The tree has fallen down and moved a bit downstream!

2022-07-09 14.27.43.jpg

It's a decent enough peg, for the stretch anyway, nothing special in terms of flow, just a smooth glide again, but there is enough flow and depth right by the far bank cover to make it fairly decent. The most I've had out of an evening on this peg, when the shade comes on the water under the tree, I think is 5 Barbel and a couple of Chub... so not much to beat for a stretch best really, but really pleasant fishing as it tucked out the way in the middle of nowhere, hardly any walkers or anything... you don't really see another soul.

I did see another soul in the form of a solitary canoeist at about 6pm, just as I was starting to get some shade on the water. He asked me if I'd had ought and I replied, no. He said that no one he'd asked had anything and I said it didn't surprise me with the weather and a low river.

I was still hopeful as some fish were topping, I think big Roach, there were a lot of Salmon on this stretch last year, and I was getting the odd tap and line bite, including one bang that nicked the boilie. I had a feeling there were a few fish there and started to question my 15mm Pacific Tune Boilie hook bait... just some stuff I had left over from last year.

I had a mix of Halibut and Cheesy Garlic pellets with me, the dregs of several bags again from last year. I had one 3 pint tub of 6mm and one 3 pint tub of 4mm. I soon realised I couldn't catapult 4mm pellets far enough to reach the tree now it's moved. I had planned to fish a straight lead but instead put a scissor modified 50g Black Cap feeder on to load with the 4mms, and catapulted a few 6mms over the top.

At 5.20pm I actually had a bit of a 'casualty' with the feeder, as pictured below, so went on a straight lead for a bit while I modified another feeder with scissors.

2022-07-09 17.22.50.jpg

At about 7.25pm another couple of canoes. This lot didn't say hello but as they went right past the tree, they pointed and said...

"Big Barbel down there! Proper one!"

That raised some hopes slightly, and I cast out again after they passed and with 30 seconds the rod properly hoops over, bearing in mind I don't fish a bow on this peg due to being tight to the snags. I fish my 1.75lb Korum Barbel Rods and 12lb Sensor to 10lb Korum Barbel Line hooklength.

I was quickly reminded why I fish that heavy on this peg, as the fish seem to fight so hard on my heavy Barbel rods. With the drag tightened down I steered what turned out to be a small Barbel away from the tree and into the net.

7.33pm
2022-07-09 19.33.13.jpg

Next cast another bite within minutes. This time a weird slow bite, like a Bream, and came in like one too. I knew it was a Chub. They've fought like this in this peg before, and it was about the same size as the first Barbel. Near enough 4lb.

7.46pm
2022-07-09 19.46.19.jpg

Next cast and within minutes again, another Barbel, slightly bigger than the first.

17.59pm
2022-07-09 19.59.48.jpg

A pattern started to emerge as the fish switched on, in the form of another bite within minutes of the next cast. Another Barbel.

8.14pm
2022-07-09 20.14.34.jpg

Then, surely not, the next cast, another Barbel. Making that 4 Barbel and a Chub in quick succession in 5 casts.

8.29pm
2022-07-09 20.29.30.jpg

I hoped for 6 in 6 casts but didn't get it.

I called my dad to tell him how I was getting on and had to drop the phone on the 7th consecutive cast as the tip bounced again.

Turns out it was this little 5oz Perch... it had cleanly taken a 15mm Pacific Tune Boilie! Hooked in the top lip!

8.46pm

2022-07-09 20.46.42.jpg

Despite this slight respite from catching, I planned to stay to 9.30pm, so time for a couple more?

At 9.15pm another bite, another Barbel... looked pretty big to me... so I had to weight it! 7lb 10oz.

2022-07-09 21.15.37.jpg

2022-07-09 21.17.40.jpg

Being pretty pleased with that fish, I posted it on the main forum, and as I did the rod went over again.

9.33pm
2022-07-09 21.33.37.jpg

Time for one more? You bet! And another one I had to weigh, being sure it topped the 7lber, turns out just short of a double at 9lb 13oz.

9.46pm
2022-07-09 21.46.38.jpg

2022-07-09 21.48.55.jpg

That's the second biggest Barbel I've caught, so was pretty pleased, and being part of a 7 Barbel and 1 Chub haul in the space of two hours... I was exceptionally pleased. I think it goes to show how productive evenings can be even when the river is low and clear on a bright sunny day.

I think it also reminds me that pellets and boilies have an important place in my Severn armoury, as much as it is fun to fish maggot when you can.

I'm going to Blackstone with my Dad and Uncle on Tuesday, and don't expect much in the way of Barbel, or much at all, but will probably fish a waggler and maggot!

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Great write up, wish I was down there. We gave up in the day time in the end, going yo the pub for food at 4pm and fishing till dark afterwards. Rewards were similar....on a good day. With colour in the water we would catch more but that would mean less light due to inclement weather. Well done sir

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks all. We all know what the Severn can be like, sometimes great, as it was for the last couple of hours yesterday, but if last summer was anything to go by, sessions like that only come round once in a while, for me at least, so got to savour them. Maybe the tree falling in the water has actually improved the peg, I was fishing right by it and it hasn't left any nasty snags or anything.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Both Shrewsbury Town Fisheries and Shrewsbury Angler's Club closed their river and brook sections from midnight last night until further notice.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers all.

I had an all day session at Blackstone today. I've never fished the stretch before and most will know but for those who don't, it's BELOW Bewdley, a slower stretch and goes deep at one end. I've walked it a few times before and for some reason never really fancied it, but my uncle wanted to fish it as he can park behind his peg.

My dad was meant to come but only bought his BAA Card last night. You don't get a confirmation to print off like you do with a rod license so he didn't want to go before the card arrives. It meant I had two lots of bait to take with me, most of it's gone in the fridge for later in the week.

This was the peg. Just as it starts to deepen off a bit as the first half of the meadow, the river is so low at the moment, you can see the bottom all the way across. My uncle went in the peg to the left of me.

2022-07-12 15.52.40.jpg

2022-07-12 15.57.47.jpg

Other than the river being low, can't complain about the weather today, overcast all day and it even had spots of rain.

The fishing though... I started on a waggler and maggot/caster/hemp. As soon as I cast it out the shot away as a Bleak intercepted it. I gave it about half an hour on maggot then half an hour on pellet before I gave up and set up a feeder rod. Too many Bleak on maggot and couldn't get a bite on pellet.

I started on pellet on the feeder. Couldn't get a bite.

Went onto maggot on the feeder and caught Perch sporadically, some of them on worm. I probably had 5lb of them, biggest just over 1lb, around 2pm when I tipped my net back.

I then went back onto various size pellets on the feeder. Could not get a bite on pellet until late evening when I had a few missed bites and liners.

I was thinking if I was a Bleak, Perch or Pike, this is where I'd be on the Severn.

I wouldn't write off the stretch though, in different conditions and different time of year.