Severn

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Shrewsbury Angling Club have just announced a ban on all fishing on their Severn stretches from 6am tomorrow.

Shrewsbury Town Fisheries announced a ban earlier today on fishing from 9am to 5pm on their normally dawn to dusk stretches of the Severn and Rea Brook from 6pm today.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Shrewsbury Angling Club have just announced a ban on all fishing on their Severn stretches from 6am tomorrow.

Shrewsbury Town Fisheries announced a ban earlier today on fishing from 9am to 5pm on their normally dawn to dusk stretches of the Severn and Rea Brook from 6pm today.

A sensible decision but another good reason to get rid of the closed season,it will be floods next making it impossible to fish
add it all up and you only get to fish for a short while.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
More formerly day ticket water going over to membership i hear.....
Kinver stretch having houses built on car park too by all accounts, still a day ticket option there if you don't mind a walk from the car park near the pub. If Mr Hayes is in residence and will offer a cup of tea on the way past and mid walk, then i would consider it, however looks like Highley will get busier than it already is now......, bar the free stretch in Bridgnorth, this would seem the only day ticket stretch along 'the alley' that will be viable soon.

I can't but can of course, see what logic there is, when there is plenty of money to be had on day tickets. If N&D on the Trent weren't so good to non residents as it were in giving a good window for and welcoming applications, i think i would have to give up Barbelling personally.

Robwooly

Some clubs are on ball with day tickets using their website and paypal payment in advance, a nice web page showing the fishery and bailiffs checking cards on the bank. Getting lots of extra revenue in the process, move with the times clubs go on try it.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Some clubs do Rob yes and if brings additional revenue then great of course. A fiver paid on the river to one of those bailiffs, is still of same value to one paid in advance though. Its more the decline of the day ticket stretches that concerns me, whichever way it is paid. When we are talking for a need to hand over around 40 quid for a session, then i have to draw the line personally, no way i can make that pay in a cost to session number valuation.

Robwooly

Trouble with the on the bank payments is it gets exploited by those turning up late and/or knowing the bailiff isn't around, the BAA £40 card is still super value but for a one off trip I can see your point. Maybe get a couple of trips in a season or a mini break up there? Cheaper than a tank of fuel.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Know what you mean and i need no encouragement to make the trip. Good value that one yes for the water you get if you can get the sessions out of it. My sessions from years ago have gone from may be 3 or 4 year, to just one a year more recently, proportional really to the choices reducing and the likelihood of a section being rammed to the hilt have put me off a river and area i do still love. Yes, usually the actions of some that drive these things, but turn up anything after dark changing to light and you won't get a peg on the reducing number of d/t waters. In the case of Highley, you can turn up anytime and find limited choice, with night fishing permitted on there.

Felt the buy in advance day ticket for BAA worked fine for us and as was the expectation, when we fished Arley for example, the members were always encouraged to and did do the checking.

Robwooly

I've had my fill of not getting a good spot and walking miles in recent years, i'd happily swap it for an average swim or two on a clear weedy Severn but alas it looks like it's going to be both choccy and chocca, one I can handle but both doesn't suit my style of fishing at all.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
His Dad does though i think as he has baliffed in the past. Knew Matt had moved to Norway, but thought he may return on occasion perhaps.
On the River Severn Facebook page I'm sure there was someone complaining about anglers blocking drives and unloading gear noisily at 4.30am,the person said they lived in Matts old house.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
No mate, the car park for the Kinver stretch.
Turn left once down the hill off the road, along in front of the houses and the end car park you come to. The one where you put a pound in the box for parking. Now its a pay and display adjacent to the pub, that's some additional walk.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
No mate, the car park for the Kinver stretch.
Turn left once down the hill off the road, along in front of the houses and the end car park you come to. The one where you put a pound in the box for parking. Now its a pay and display adjacent to the pub, that's some additional walk.
I deliberately didn't fish the BAA stretch on the same side as I was told there was nowhere to park, they must have meant the Kinver stretch.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Would have been yes, the houses go round the bend and line the current car park too. Not there that early personally, although for first light whenever i go, its usually Autumn there. If was a recent complaint then first light has occurred around that time in Early summer and such arrivals at that time are a sign of what i am saying really.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bit disappointed to hear about the Kinver stretch. Never fished the BAA waters there so will have to check it out.

Bit disappointed to hear the car park is having houses built on it. I have got there early myself at the weekend and the car park has already been full. I would have thought if you bought a house there, then you would know what to expect being a well marked out anglers car park, but I also suppose that's not a reason not to try to be quiet and respectful in the early hours.

bezzer

Site Supporter
To fish the LB Kinver stretch now means a blooming long walk. Despite having a BAA ticket I still went to Kinver as it was a nice productive stretch. Changed when Mr Hayes retired and the other bailiff took over full time. He was a bit full of himself.