Severn

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Arley RB today, no pegs as usual, 😁 got there around 11, half an hour gardening as it was the only decent peg available and I was fishing around 12ish.
Had a few chublets and a roach in the first couple of hours then it died a bit, chucked the bomb out for my first barbel of the season, just over 6lb,packed up at 6, had a mink or otter in my swim blowing bubbles, goosanders everywhere, it's a wonder there's any fish left in there.

20210710_181917.jpg 20210710_174023.jpg 20210710_152605.jpg 20210710_140316.jpg

squimp

Site Supporter
Well I fished Quatford for the first time today. Trust me to choose probably the snaggiest peg on the Middle Severn. o_O

2021-07-10 06.01.25.jpg

There's a well known 'sunken tree' peg on this stretch and I think I might have unwittingly chose it to fish today. I've seen the tree when walking before but the river was lower. Nothing was visible today but there was definitely at least one tree down there.

I lost a lot of tackle today - well 4 feeders including Korum Running Rig Kits and about 10 hooks. That and my Korum chair ripped/came undone at the stitches. To make matters worse I finally hooked a Barbel at about 9.30am. It felt like a big fish. It just held in the flow. Had it on for a minute trying to move it before it decided to swim into the tree/snag. Had to pull for a break eventually and lost it.

It was a slow day from then on. 1.40pm I cast out and put the rod on the rest only for it to hoop over as I was doing so. A pike had taken it on the drop. :LOL:

2021-07-10 13.44.13.jpg

I'm starting to think they should rename these Hinders Elips Dumbells as a Pike Bait.

One more bumped Chub or small Barbel that was on for about 5 seconds and that was it. I will fish this stretch again as the pegs are very pleasant with a lot of space, but I wouldn't fish this peg again. I just hope next time I choose a less snaggy one.
If you have walked the stretch previously then make a few notes and you won’t sit in the snag pit when you actually go and fish.

If you are really keen walk down with a heavy lead and a stiff rod and ‘feel’ the bottom in the good looking swims. Again, make some notes.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you have walked the stretch previously then make a few notes and you won’t sit in the snag pit when you actually go and fish.

If you are really keen walk down with a heavy lead and a stiff rod and ‘feel’ the bottom in the good looking swims. Again, make some notes.
That would have been a wise thing to do! I should have moved pegs as soon as I lost my first fish yesterday but a couple of people walking past told me I was in a good peg and I just need to play them hard to get them out. I should have moved when it was canoe o'clock - forgot how annoying they can be sometimes - a few of them had ghettoblasters. :LOL:
Arley RB today, no pegs as usual, 😁 got there around 11, half an hour gardening as it was the only decent peg available and I was fishing around 12ish.
Had a few chublets and a roach in the first couple of hours then it died a bit, chucked the bomb out for my first barbel of the season, just over 6lb,packed up at 6, had a mink or otter in my swim blowing bubbles, goosanders everywhere, it's a wonder there's any fish left in there.

20210710_181917.jpg 20210710_174023.jpg 20210710_152605.jpg 20210710_140316.jpg
That's a pretty cracking bag of Chublets and the Roach looks clonking - did you weight it?

Nice Barbel for first of the year too! Told you that you catch bigger fish than me in general but especially from Arley. :LOL:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
That's a pretty cracking bag of Chublets and the Roach looks clonking - did you weight it?

Nice Barbel for first of the year too! Told you that you catch bigger fish than me in general but especially from Arley. :LOL:
No, didn't bother, was probably a few pound at most, that swim isn't too bad as the next 3 or so pegs downstream are overgrown with trees also so it's a little sanctuary for the fish I reckon, nearly all the available pegs were occupied.
I think if I fished punched meat or pellet I would have got pestered by small chub so a larger piece was required and patience, there were no knocks just a wrap over.

pellet

Had my first afternoon this season yesterday, blanked with only a couple of knocks but enjoyed the countryside again. Good start put my gear down at the top of the peg only for my seat to go tumbling down the slope which was quite steep and straight into he river and sink ,luckily i had my chest waders on and sank into the mud close in. Seat stayed at the top of the peg drying out and me trying to sit on a sloping bank and ended up aching all over from the lack of comfort. That's what we go out for every time is different.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Tight lines @carphauler. I hope you have more luck than me.

Went back to Quatford (a stretch I've started to really like as there's a nice choice of pegs).

It was Bleak central though.

Expensive to keep throwing pints of casters of Bleak, hard work changing the smashed maggot or shelled caster on the hook, and impossible to tell what's a proper bite.

I did have a nice Roach though.

2021-07-17 08.32.35.jpg

Pretty mediocre bag after about 5 and half hours fishing due to not being able to get a proper trot on thanks to the Bleak.

2021-07-17 11.21.36-1.jpg

Hopefully the Bread has worked better for you @carphauler mate.

I should have taken a Barbel rod as despite the river being low and the sun bright, I could have cotched there until the evening.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Nah mate, tough day, I've never sweat so much sat still, blokes were leaving at 12pm because of the heat.
Started at Hampton Loade, hours drive, got there about 11am,a few on it barbel fishing, I forgot the water was so low any stick fishing was out of the question, drive back to the old faithful.
Set up about 12.30 fished till 7,had 2 chublets, 2 roach, a giant perch followed one of the 8oz chublets to the net, then a large pike was mooching about in the margins.
Had 1 rip roaring take, left the clutch slack, by the time I had wound in the stick it had snagged me good and proper and that was it, too hot today, I feel exhausted.

20210717_133810.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was lucky as I left about 11.30am just as the sun was coming up from the bank behind me. You look directly in the sun there mate! It's that peg at Arley between the trees if I'm right. It's been too hot today really, having a couple of cold beers now but not before I drank a lot of water and I've been in the shade pretty much all day. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's what I like about Quatford. 4 or 5 parking spaces and a load of nice big pegs. Going to chance an evening session there this evening but if there's no parking spaces I can always drive to try another stretch.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That’s what I’m telling myself on this peg. 😂 I started on a peg called the mud pit at the end of the first meadow but decided it was just too shallow. Might have been a better bet staying there as does not look too likely from here.

bezzer

Site Supporter
For the first time in years I night fished! Booked a ticket at Knowle Sands and decided to fish the bottom meadows to avoid cardiac hill. Arrived at 5pm and left at 4am without a bite. It was pretty dire, not helped by the complete lack of pegs. We drove up to Apley estate and and fished until 11am.
Turned out to be a decent mornings fishing. I had 7 Barbel, 16 Chub and a slippery Eel. All bar 1 Barbel were caught on a single 8mm pellet.
Didn't photograph many of the fish as I didn't want them out of the water any longer than was necessary. However, I couldn't resist a picture with the big Gudgeon :LOL:

AP1.jpg AP2.jpg AP3.jpg

bluemack

Site Supporter
For the first time in years I night fished! Booked a ticket at Knowle Sands and decided to fish the bottom meadows to avoid cardiac hill. Arrived at 5pm and left at 4am without a bite. It was pretty dire, not helped by the complete lack of pegs. We drove up to Apley estate and and fished until 11am.
Turned out to be a decent mornings fishing. I had 7 Barbel, 16 Chub and a slippery Eel. All bar 1 Barbel were caught on a single 8mm pellet.
Didn't photograph many of the fish as I didn't want them out of the water any longer than was necessary. However, I couldn't resist a picture with the big Gudgeon :LOL:

AP1.jpg AP2.jpg AP3.jpg
Very nice Bez,what size were the chub?