Severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I might head out Barbel hunting tomorrow as it looks like the weather forecast has changed, banks might be a bit slippy after the rain today, but the river isn't rising according to the levels website.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fished Arley RB today. River did not look too bad after yesterdays rain. There was still bank space for me to sit at the bottom of some steps too.

2021-07-05 06.19.08.jpg

I was casting 3/4 of the way across for the first couple of hours. I've caught from all areas of this peg before but I had a feeling the fish might be there as the water is a bit steadier with a bit of a crease for an unapparent reason. No signs from there though so I had a couple of casts just before halfway across in the faster flow. Had a nice bang on the tip that made me stay there for a few more casts until I had this small Chub.

2021-07-05 08.50.03.jpg

I had a few more of what I call 'Chub Bites'... sudden bangs on the tip that develop into nothing... I had a few of them throughout the day... when I went to wind in and had a fish on. I thought I might have just timed it right just as a Barbel took the bait by the way it took off. Turned out to be this fairly decent pike (biggest fish of the day). Not too unusual for them to snatch at a bait I guess, but the first I've had on a dumbell. :LOL: Hooked square in the corner of its mouth as well.

2021-07-05 09.35.13.jpg

I had a long wait for a Barbel. And when they did turn up (down the middle in the fastest flow) they were only small, but it's what I came for and fairly typical of what I catch there. First one about 4lb and second, even though I hoped big brother would be about after the first, was smaller, maybe 3lb.

2021-07-05 12.46.14.jpg

2021-07-05 15.07.09.jpg

I'd set myself a bit of target last year, to keep a 2 to 1 catch ratio for every session I have, but I've forgot how many times I've been Barbel fishing and how many fish I've caught. So I'll start again for this season. 1 session, 2 fish (not counting the day I tried the Speci Wag).

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
@Zerkalo That's a few good fish to be fair, the bigger ones will show come September, I too planned to fish shallow fast water on Sunday but with a match at the Harbour and every peg took up on the LB up to the shallows I ended up on Cromwells hole, I knew it was going to be rubbish, dead slow, too deep, had a few knocks but that was it.
I really need to find somewhere else as I just go there by default and because I get there mid morning there's never a peg I want.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah it wasn't bad. I was there for the long haul today though mate. Got there early and stayed till about 4.30. I felt like there were more Barbel about when I left but I ran out of bait. I think my target of 2:1 is a fairly easy one, but you know how it goes, some days you might pull a few out and other days blank. I need to fish some different pegs too, I think you fish the deeper pegs than me and so catch bigger fish! I just tell myself that I know Barbel show in this peg and it's quite a comfortable one too so usually go for that... I'm going to probably check out the LB next time but have never been quite as sure with parking (if they shut the gate) on that side.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Don't think they lock the gate, you could always park the other side of the gate which I have done in the past, I prefer the late autumn to be honest, less people around and better catches for me,it seems every man and his dog are down there at weekends at the moment

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think you're right about autumn for the reasons you mention.

I was there at 5.30 this morning and there were 3 cars all parked in the field by the river. About four people already fishing the first meadow. I've only fished that first meadow once but I remember it being even shallower than the peg I fish at the start of the second meadow.

I spoke to the chap fishing by the stile as I was leaving and he told me he'd had 3 Roach (didn't say how big), 1 Chub, and 1 Barbel and he wasn't very happy as it was only 1lb.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's pretty incredible to see mate, very mesmerising too! Though they seem to spook from both feeders to me? Or more when they touch the line.

Someone asked me on the weir when I was catching Barbel, he said "I've never fished a river before and only lakes and only fish a method feeder, would this be ok to use here?". I told it would be but I don't ever fish the method myself.

I did try to show him the maggot feeder rig I was using though.

From watching the Des Taylor video you posted, when he's fishing the Severn he's fishing a maggot feeder with two or three maggots on the hook but just casting down a hole to a visible shoal of Barbel. I'd love to be able to recreate that on the Severn but it's so rare when I fish it to have it so low and clear and to be able to see the fish flashing in the current like that. He seems to use boilies all the time now anyway.

Maybe they're less spooky of the feeder with a bit of a hooklength, downstream cast, and bit of bait flowing out the feeder? Great watch anyway, cheers mate.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From watching the Des Taylor video you posted, when he's fishing the Severn he's fishing a maggot feeder with two or three maggots on the hook but just casting down a hole to a visible shoal of Barbel. I'd love to be able to recreate that on the Severn but it's so rare when I fish it to have it so low and clear and to be able to see the fish flashing in the current like that.
Last time I stayed at highly on the day I left I saw an shoal of about half a dozen barbel in shallows on the far bank sort of opposite where the road comes down the hill. Was amazing to see as being bottom dwellers you don’t often see them at all. Only time I’d seen barbel in a swim
before that was in the castlemill stream in the middle of Oxford (well literally through my old college) during spawning season but seeing them on the severn like that was very cool.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Last time I stayed at highly on the day I left I saw an shoal of about half a dozen barbel in shallows on the far bank sort of opposite where the road comes down the hill. Was amazing to see as being bottom dwellers you don’t often see them at all. Only time I’d seen barbel in a swim
before that was in the castlemill stream in the middle of Oxford (well literally through my old college) during spawning season but seeing them on the severn like that was very cool.
I say it's rare for me to see it... but really I mean I don't think I've ever seen Barbel like that. Sounds like an amazing sight and I'd have to rethink my 'time bomb' method. 😁 (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I say it's rare for me to see it... but really I mean I don't think I've ever seen Barbel like that. Sounds like an amazing sight and I'd have to rethink my 'time bomb' method. 😁 (y)
Was typical that it was the day I was leaving although tbf it would have been a difficult cast to say the least 😅

Those ones in the castlemill stream would have been easy to reach though just was closed season and probably not a place they'd appreciate you fishing even if it wasn't! Was an Aquarium there at the right times all in little over a foot of water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well I fished Quatford for the first time today. Trust me to choose probably the snaggiest peg on the Middle Severn. o_O

2021-07-10 06.01.25.jpg

There's a well known 'sunken tree' peg on this stretch and I think I might have unwittingly chose it to fish today. I've seen the tree when walking before but the river was lower. Nothing was visible today but there was definitely at least one tree down there.

I lost a lot of tackle today - well 4 feeders including Korum Running Rig Kits and about 10 hooks. That and my Korum chair ripped/came undone at the stitches. To make matters worse I finally hooked a Barbel at about 9.30am. It felt like a big fish. It just held in the flow. Had it on for a minute trying to move it before it decided to swim into the tree/snag. Had to pull for a break eventually and lost it.

It was a slow day from then on. 1.40pm I cast out and put the rod on the rest only for it to hoop over as I was doing so. A pike had taken it on the drop. :LOL:

2021-07-10 13.44.13.jpg

I'm starting to think they should rename these Hinders Elips Dumbells as a Pike Bait.

One more bumped Chub or small Barbel that was on for about 5 seconds and that was it. I will fish this stretch again as the pegs are very pleasant with a lot of space, but I wouldn't fish this peg again. I just hope next time I choose a less snaggy one.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo .......Reads like a tough day Mr Zerkalo.:oops:.......I know of snaggier pegs on the Middle Severn.....:rolleyes::love::ROFLMAO:
Yeah it was tough but a comfortable days fishing, there's a lot of nice looking pegs at Quatford so I'll be back just not this peg again. :LOL:

tincatim

Site Supporter
Shame you lost the barbel mate, but at least you landed the pike 😂

I’ve fished down at Quatford many years ago, couldn’t tell you where but I remember catching a lot of roach and dace. I do sometimes miss having easy access to the Severn. It’s a great river.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Shame you lost the barbel mate, but at least you landed the pike 😂

I’ve fished down at Quatford many years ago, couldn’t tell you where but I remember catching a lot of roach and dace. I do sometimes miss having easy access to the Severn. It’s a great river.
Cheers mate. To be honest it looked alive with fish today. Lots of fish big and small topping. Not sure if the bigger ones were Pike or Barbel but to me it looked a nice steady pace there to try a float session for silvers.

I will be fishing here again as it seems a bit deeper than the places I usually fish so I reckon there's a good chance of a bigger Barbel there instead of the 3 or 4lbers I usually catch . It goes round a few corners on this stretch but the river is quite narrow here, so like on my peg today, all the water seems to go down deeper gullies on the outside of the bends.