Severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If I'm fishing up there I'll walk the left bank as you can trolley up there with no gates to pass, a few people wade out to the island from the right bank and roll meat down the flow as it deepens on there.
I remember the island from when I went canoeing. I plan to fish LB a bit more this year as I used to think I had to go down lanes to get there but have realised it's off the same main road as all the other stretches. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Actually I'm a bit confused as I haven't seen that one. We got off the canoe at Arley so there's another gravel island upstream from there, saw someone catch a Chub as we went past. I'll have to do a bit more exploring. Plan to fish the float a lot more this year. (y)

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Actually I'm a bit confused as I haven't seen that one. We got off the canoe at Arley so there's another gravel island upstream from there, saw someone catch a Chub as we went past. I'll have to do a bit more exploring. Plan to fish the float a lot more this year. (y)
There is another gravel island but that's up near Hampton Loade. Go on Google maps and follow the river upstream from arley.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bad memory haha, I thought it was just after Trimpley. Google maps is a good idea. There's a channel I follow on youtube, Mick's Barbel Adventures, and he's been doing a lot of walking on the Severn.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Bad memory haha, I thought it was just after Trimpley. Google maps is a good idea. There's a channel I follow on youtube, Mick's Barbel Adventures, and he's been doing a lot of walking on the Severn.
Trimpley is downstream, there may be another shallow bit there, can't rem, haven't walked it for a few years.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
You changed your mind about fishing it on the stick float then? Arley I take it? Lovely pics again by the way, looks vividly green.
I forgot to buy bread then after reading various reports thought the barbel might be feeding, done a rookie mistake, instead of following my instinct and fishing shallow water for barbel I went into the deeper end. Didn't have a knock all day on meat, corn or pellet, I think I'll wait for the water to come up a bit so I have more choice of float pegs, oh and buy bait, 😂😂😂

Curlew

Site Supporter
First session of the season for me yesterday, on the Lower.No barbel, although a bream saved a blank.
It was good to be back !

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fished Arley RB this morning. I'm not going to say fishing big baits on the float is a waste of time but it is hard work!

On bread on a chubber float I was getting loads of bites from small fish but not hitting any of them so kind of wished I'd took some punches with me.

So went onto meat on a speci waggler and had a fish fairly early, this small Chub.

2021-06-24 07.44.15.jpg

But that was it... glad I didn't buy a rod specifically for the meat on speci wag fishing as just being by the river reminded me how nice it is to chill out and watch the tip. Wished I'd brought my barbel rods today as the river looked good, quite low but not clear.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Fished Arley RB this morning. I'm not going to say fishing big baits on the float is a waste of time but it is hard work!

On bread on a chubber float I was getting loads of bites from small fish but not hitting any of them so kind of wished I'd took some punches with me.

So went onto meat on a speci waggler and had a fish fairly early, this small Chub.

2021-06-24 07.44.15.jpg

But that was it... glad I didn't buy a rod specifically for the meat on speci wag fishing as just being by the river reminded me how nice it is to chill out and watch the tip. Wished I'd brought my barbel rods today as the river looked good, quite low but not clear.
I think at the moment you've got to find where the fish are, they don't appear to be spread out or they're just not feeding much.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I didn't notice any weed from my vantage point but there wasn't much visibility despite the river being low, I cut straight to the second meadow and straight to my peg, there's usually weed visible from the top of the bank in the first, river was a brown colour despite being low.