Severn

Curlew

Site Supporter
Well, without doubt my worst EVER season on the lower Severn in forty plus years. (I'm sure not just mine either.) A combination of the river being very strange, and also lack of access through the pandemic too.
What was encouraging was the number of chub showing on the Lower though, excellent stuff.

Good riddance to a bad season and roll on June the 16th !

BBear

Site Supporter
Yes it’s been a rubbish season - the skimmers and bream at my favourite lower Severn venue seem to have disappeared.

BBear

Site Supporter
Just below Upton. It has always been consistent for good bream and skimmer fishing between August - October, but this season they seem to have largely disappeared and the fishing was much harder. We did have massive floods the previous winter which could be one reason, though you’d think the fish would be used to that?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Severn Stoke - Upton has always been a prolific stretch for Bream as shown by Dave Harrell's match record.
The lads I know who fish the area all say the same as you but I think the fish are still there and the Severn was just more moody than usual this season.
Last couple of seasons below Worcester we have caught more hybrids than we ever have before and they seem to have come from nowhere.
This season I have caught more smaller Chub than in recent years - strange but making it all more enjoyable.
Just think with the Severn we just had a bad one and the next could be anything.

BBear

Site Supporter
I hope the fish are still there in numbers Lee - I guess we’ll find out next season. Also I think it’s quite natural that the fishing changes in cycles. I haven’t had the hybrids and only had the odd chub where I fish and it will be interesting to see if they show up next season.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Wonder if there is any mileage in some of the popular stretches in normal times being less fished in covid. Fish are there and largely stay there when anglers bait is going in, may be not so, when it isn't. Rivers been up and down more times than tower bridge this season too.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Went for a walk with my dad at Quatford today. Not a bad looking stretch, have walked it before but forgot what it's like. Bit of a hill to the limited roadside parking, unless you park in the Cafe/Diner car park (not sure if allowed). But river looking good today! Let that wet your appetite Severn anglers. 😁

2021-04-24 13.59.43.jpg

2021-04-24 14.11.00.jpg

The Runner

Site Supporter
Not much parking but never seen it full. Not heavily fished there, that hill puts a lot of people off, coupled with the fact that the best areas are a long walk downstream.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not much parking but never seen it full. Not heavily fished there, that hill puts a lot of people off, coupled with the fact that the best areas are a long walk downstream.
We walked about 2 meadows today, there's one bit where it looks like it goes quite shallow halfway down, and then there were some nice looking pegs opposite the houses on the far side, but that's about as far as we got! I was saying to my dad, it's a shame the car parking is here and not there, just down the hill!

The Runner

Site Supporter
Couple of decent swims just before the shallow bit, swim right by the start of the second meadow looks brilliant but isn't, next few as it narrows up can be good but a bit erratic (some cracking roach here though ) gradually getting better as you get lower down but the further down you go there's often anglers on the opposite bank (its the very top of the Erdington section)
The swim with the massive dead tree trunk in it used to be the real flyer but hasn.t produced much for us at all for a few years now.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
We saw the tree trunk! Bit strange as it seems there's no tree for it to have fallen from round there, must have got carried with the flow at some point!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You've never been up to the shallows?
About 1/2 mile up from harbour Inn car park.
No mate, I've walked about 2 meadows downstream from the car park! :LOL: Good pegs down there? Nice to know there are more down there anyway for when it's busy. Your pics always look good too btw!

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
No mate, I've walked about 2 meadows downstream from the car park! :LOL: Good pegs down there? Nice to know there are more down there anyway for when it's busy. Your pics always look good too btw!
If I'm fishing up there I'll walk the left bank as you can trolley up there with no gates to pass, a few people wade out to the island from the right bank and roll meat down the flow as it deepens on there.