Severn

Curlew

Site Supporter
Well, without doubt my worst EVER season on the lower Severn in forty plus years. (I'm sure not just mine either.) A combination of the river being very strange, and also lack of access through the pandemic too.
What was encouraging was the number of chub showing on the Lower though, excellent stuff.

Good riddance to a bad season and roll on June the 16th !

BBear

Site Supporter
Yes it’s been a rubbish season - the skimmers and bream at my favourite lower Severn venue seem to have disappeared.

BBear

Site Supporter
Just below Upton. It has always been consistent for good bream and skimmer fishing between August - October, but this season they seem to have largely disappeared and the fishing was much harder. We did have massive floods the previous winter which could be one reason, though you’d think the fish would be used to that?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Severn Stoke - Upton has always been a prolific stretch for Bream as shown by Dave Harrell's match record.
The lads I know who fish the area all say the same as you but I think the fish are still there and the Severn was just more moody than usual this season.
Last couple of seasons below Worcester we have caught more hybrids than we ever have before and they seem to have come from nowhere.
This season I have caught more smaller Chub than in recent years - strange but making it all more enjoyable.
Just think with the Severn we just had a bad one and the next could be anything.

BBear

Site Supporter
I hope the fish are still there in numbers Lee - I guess we’ll find out next season. Also I think it’s quite natural that the fishing changes in cycles. I haven’t had the hybrids and only had the odd chub where I fish and it will be interesting to see if they show up next season.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Wonder if there is any mileage in some of the popular stretches in normal times being less fished in covid. Fish are there and largely stay there when anglers bait is going in, may be not so, when it isn't. Rivers been up and down more times than tower bridge this season too.