Severn

carphauler

Be very careful chucking out into the river, I nearly had my precious Asaki rod dragged in by a log and the waters a metre higher now, try and find a swim where you can chuck into nearside slack water.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
agree with northants, good time to be out there but your safety comes first always, consider a set of crampons to fit on your boots saves all the slipping about on the muddy banks most of the lads are using them on our stretch and only a tenner or so, you'll be amazed at the difference in safety they give. good luck

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Surprised it's still fishable tbh with the amount of rain we've had. Ive seen pictures of the Ouse, Avon and Cherwell having all gone over their banks and I've heard that the Thames has in places.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Surprised it's still fishable tbh with the amount of rain we've had. Ive seen pictures of the Ouse, Avon and Cherwell having all gone over their banks and I've heard that the Thames has in places.

Decided last minute to give it a miss. Woke up early and mixed groundbait, cooked hemp, so going to try and sneak down the Worcs Stour weir see if it's fishable, just need to get some maggots first and hope no one is on the peg. :)

bezzer

Site Supporter
Decided last minute to give it a miss. Woke up early and mixed groundbait, cooked hemp, so going to try and sneak down the Worcs Stour weir see if it's fishable, just need to get some maggots first and hope no one is on the peg. :)

Probably a wise decision tbh. It's rising again and is 2m up at Bewdley. More rain expected tonight and tomorrow, reckon it'll be pretty good for the weekend/early next week.

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to fishing rising/high rivers on my own........

bezzer

Site Supporter
No recent reports have been filed so it can mean only 3 things -

1. Nobody has been on the Severn.
2. People have been out and blanked.
3. People have bagged up and don't want to encourage others to get on the bank :LOL:

My poorly foot is very nearly better so I'm hoping to be out next week. Will probably hit the Middle (Arley) rather than the much easier Lower where @Lee Richards is usually found.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Or 4. They went the other weekend, which turned out to be a week to late in terms of a cold snap, but a week too early for the water that came.....
Be a while before i can get back up there mate now.

Glad to hear the foots on the mend bez.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Good news about the foot Bezz and it must have been bad if it stopped you fishing on the short walk arm chair pegs you frequent.
Down the Lower we use dog spikes and rope to get up the not stepped banks - on the Middle they would have put in a Stannah for you.
Severn has been dropping since last Thursday and had a nice flow to it on Sunday
Hoping to get a few hours on it next week and do a bit of large meat roving along the length.

carphauler

No recent reports have been filed so it can mean only 3 things -

1. Nobody has been on the Severn.
2. People have been out and blanked.
3. People have bagged up and don't want to encourage others to get on the bank :LOL:

My poorly foot is very nearly better so I'm hoping to be out next week. Will probably hit the Middle (Arley) rather than the much easier Lower where @Lee Richards is usually found.
Number 1 for me bezzer, unfortunately recent circumstances have stopped me from getting out, the height of the river doesn't really stop me and I'd rather it be up than no water on and clear, 👍👍

Robwooly

I promised to do a write up about going for the big roach on the float with pellet which features the Severn quite a bit, it's in the blog section if anyone's interested, sorry it's a bit late.

It looks like the long trips down the Severn are over for me this year but doing the blog has rekindled some great memories

squimp

Site Supporter
I promised to do a write up about going for the big roach on the float with pellet which features the Severn quite a bit, it's in the blog section if anyone's interested, sorry it's a bit late.

It looks like the long trips down the Severn are over for me this year but doing the blog has rekindled some great memories
I’ve just read your blog on pellet fishing.

What an outstanding post. Great stuff.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

Brilliant stuff as always mate, your blog is without doubt one of the best out there. You really capture the magic of river fishing brilliantly 👍🏻

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Never been keen on blogs Rob but yours is a superb read with lovely photos.
What stands out is there is no hint of the "look at me" ego you sometimes see.
Hope others take the time to read it.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A return to Sydney Avenue on Thursday afternoon, my first trip there since the initial enthusiasm back in June/July. As expected, a biteless blank on two rods. The river was carrying quite a bit of extra water and some of the platforms were flooded. It wasn’t coloured but there were plenty of leaves floating down getting trapped on the line. A late big fish roll in the middle of the main river a few swims downstream was the only sign of fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Blank for me at Arley yesterday too, can blame it on the cold and giving my dad the better peg, think the fish shoal up more when it's cold and the river is carrying extra water? My dad had one small Barbel of about 4lb though, his first, so I was chuffed to see him catch one, bit of a confidence booster for him after several failed attempts. I was also coming back with a lot of leaves around the feeder and on the hook opposed to them going into the line, made me think I was probably fishing on top of a lot of leaves but didn't really have anywhere else to cast to in this peg.

pellet

Good to hear your dad caught Zercalo, got to beat his PB now and time for you to follow the leader. Just joking and nice to hear good knews, just heard that Bezzer has joined the strictly line up' keep smiling Bezzer.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Talking to a fellow club member on Monday and he asked how come I was on a Commie and not fishing the Severn.
Replied I went Friday but it was up and hard work to which he replied "yes they all struggled the weekend due to a very high tide"
Now in all my forty years on the rIver I had never experienced this and thought he didn't have a clue what he was on about.

Yesterday I had a lot of bits and this splasher (and about 100lb of leaves and branches) but the amazing thing is by 2pm this platform that was now lapping water was a foot and a half (maybe more) above the water at 9 am.
The water rose nearly a foot in an hour and it was only when I played the Barbel in the margin did I realise it was coming up.

Attachments

• 20201020_151054.jpg
    20201020_151054.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201020_114325.jpg
    20201020_114325.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 21

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Do you mean @Lee Richards that he used it as an analogy? With number of locks on the Lower, does the tide get far enough up to affect things? A bit lost on what you/he meant there mate? Not difficult sometimes to confuse me granted, did i miss something?