Severn

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Did ring the warning bells Paul and that's what it's been like.
You can see how it normally is on the harder part of the river now 😃

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
another blank yesterday , my cousin did pick a barbel up at 8..4 and a bream of 4 and a half pounds on the maggot , I cant believe this stretch didnt throw up something it screams barbel all along it even with it being low and clear as now and you just know the fish are present and just dont seem to want it, still will be back again next year as this river is like a drug to me. Thanks for the warning keith should have listened but still worth the journey for the pleasure I get out of this river.👍

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Cheers for the updates bs and always next time mate. Looking more and more like i might be on the float for them when i go up, got the decision going round in my head at present....

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
One hybrid of three pounds in three hours yesterday afternoon for me and the two lads above me blanked.
The wind whipping up the river was a nightmare and I had to drop the rods to keep them steady..
Had a pred close in that I spooked or attacked the feeder but the Perch hitting the fry close in were nowhere to be seen yesterday.And that was very unusual.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
very hard going for me this year but to coin a phrase things can only get better👍 with respect northants my cousin did spend two days on the the float and he is an excellent float angler to be honest one of the best I have seen and he struggled to get through the bleak and scraps not in any way am I doupting your own skills, on a different stretch may come a different story but he is quite content catching anything that swims, may I suggest if you can find the right peg you try rolling a piece of meat which on occasion produces when nothing else will. unfortunately in this instance I was so confident of catching on this stretch I wasnt geared up for it just shows how wrong you can be sometimes and yes keith I was warned lol and should have took heed of what I was reading on the forum but we all know best dont we ?🤔 anyway theres allways a next time. Good luck on your trip northants and hope you have a better story to tell of your trip to paradise.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Cheers for the meat tip gents, i may roll some if there are a few swims to wade into, main plan is hemp and pellets and build a swim, has worked before when static baits are are being largely ignored, all out Barbel (happy with Chub too) approach, hence the pellets rather than maggot. May fall flat on its backside, but i can't sit potentially motionless for two days thinking i should have gone float option. Partly a measure of the limits of my feeder/lead skills, partly also that in these conditions i feel i can cajole a bite or two better on the float and with more scope for varying things, lastly, that my Barbel float gear has sat gathering dust for over a year now having not done a day trip or two for a while.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't think a single Barbel was caught on the whole of the Kinver Freeliners stretch at Hampton Loade yesterday despite plenty of people trying. Car park was rammed when I got there at 6.30am. Got a half decent peg, or so I'm told, the 'gravel run' me and my dad fished last time. Although 10 minutes after I started fishing the stick someone came in the next peg down which shortened my trot. I ran out of maggots quick time trying to get the fish in my peg too. Still had a fair few Dace and Chublets 'betwixt' chucking out a Barbel rod in vain. River was too low and clear. Bailiff agreed we need the rain that's forecast this week.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Cheers for the meat tip gents, i may roll some if there are a few swims to wade into, main plan is hemp and pellets and build a swim, has worked before when static baits are are being largely ignored, all out Barbel (happy with Chub too) approach, hence the pellets rather than maggot. May fall flat on its backside, but i can't sit potentially motionless for two days thinking i should have gone float option. Partly a measure of the limits of my feeder/lead skills, partly also that in these conditions i feel i can cajole a bite or two better on the float and with more scope for varying things, lastly, that my Barbel float gear has sat gathering dust for over a year now having not done a day trip or two for a while.

Hi Chris, just curious to know what rod you use for float fishing for barbel.

Thanks

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Looking for match weights from the Severn I can find Bewdley Float league on KDAA facebook and it seems they have had decent weights of Barbel and Chub even on a low river on the float. Same names showing up.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Hi Chris, just curious to know what rod you use for float fishing for barbel.

Thanks

For the Barbel float pellet approach got a Matt Hayes 15ft power float rod, if am in a run under the rod tip and stick float, then an old Leeda 13ft power float. Both are lovely rods with a nice through action. Do have a nice old spliced tip Tommy P normark for lighter work, maggot etc. End of the day mate, i fish with them once a year at best, so using my formula of cost against expected usage they are fine.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Just under 5 hours today but the wind and the AmazonIan debris coming down beat me. It seems to have beaten the other six who had just left my car on its own as well.
Has four nice Chub and about 12lb of Silvers and Perch
Without the wind bouncing the feeder rod on the rests I could have had a great day,but three complete reset ups was more than enough for me.

Attachments

• 20200925_095122.jpg
    20200925_095122.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200925_091210.jpg
    20200925_091210.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 16

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
it looks like the rain this week has put about 3 inches on the Wye - so that'll be two inches or less on the Severn. :(

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Severn was a good level and that nice flow you get this time of year.
Just far too much debris and most of it was coming down the line which was most productive.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Warks Avon has about one inch on compared to last week - so will likely not be carrying any colour :(

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It's a Chub Paul,but to be fair I am not used to photographing smaller fish so it could look like anything. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Had four to 2lb and sure I could have bagged up today,just couldn't see the bites as the day wore on.
Before the wind got too bad I had 19 fish in 19 casts and even the Roach & Dace were hammering the tip round.
Only thing that didn't flow past today was a raft of fire ants :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: