Severn

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Fished Hampton Loade RB this afternoon, didn't get there till 12.30 as another Severn stretch I originally planned to go on was busy, had dogs barking and kids screaming, as I wanted a peaceful day, I packed up and moved.
Anyway, fished the stick with bread punch and 3 loaves of mashed bread, had 14lb of chub, chublets, dace and roach, a lovely day's fishing apart from the wind and showers, best chub was 5lb 2oz. View attachment 40059 View attachment 40060 View attachment 40061 View attachment 40062 View attachment 40063 View attachment 40064
Looks like a cracking day that well done indeed!

pellet

Well done carphauler lovely bit of fishing and a nice change to see a different approach. Had my first outing yesterday afternoon, got there about 3pm to give a roving tactic to my afternoon spending about 30 minutes in a peg, after about five changes, settled in to a peg I know holds fish. About ten minutes in the rod tip bends and into a fish, seems decent but halfway back to the bank it slips the hook and off down the river, change hook back out and after 15 minutes the rod bends again and i'm into another fish that decides to go for the snag and buries itself well in, releasesd the bail arm sit there for 20 mins and decide to give it a go still in snag and snap. So two fish on but a big flat blank for me and made for the car about 6.30pm after a very steep drop in the temperature and what looked like a storm coming.

carphauler

Roachhauler
Well done carphauler lovely bit of fishing and a nice change to see a different approach. Had my first outing yesterday afternoon, got there about 3pm to give a roving tactic to my afternoon spending about 30 minutes in a peg, after about five changes, settled in to a peg I know holds fish. About ten minutes in the rod tip bends and into a fish, seems decent but halfway back to the bank it slips the hook and off down the river, change hook back out and after 15 minutes the rod bends again and i'm into another fish that decides to go for the snag and buries itself well in, releasesd the bail arm sit there for 20 mins and decide to give it a go still in snag and snap. So two fish on but a big flat blank for me and made for the car about 6.30pm after a very steep drop in the temperature and what looked like a storm coming.
What stretch?

carphauler

Roachhauler
Fished Blackstone today, bit of mare, got there around 1pm, set up, realised there was a massive log snag a few feet out when the sun shone on it. Moved pegs after walking what seemed like forever trying to find a good float fishing peg, everyone else was barbel fishing. Reset up about 3pm,had a couple of chublets then 3rd bite it goes solid and start zig zagging across the river, thought that's weird, barbel don't take bread, then saw a silvery flash a couple feet long, bloody pike had grabbed my roach, got him in, looked a bit battered but he survived.
And that's that, a hard day on a too shallow swim, I never seem to have any luck at Blackstone so I'll be giving it a miss in future and trying other places especially Hampton Loade.
No pics but a couple from Arley Saturday 20200829_135939.jpg 20200831_205135.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I went Arley RB this evening after work. Was always going to be a bit of a chance going in the afternoon if I got the Barbel peg I wanted so I took some maggots and a float rod in case. Got there and car park is open again now, river was up a bit, and I got the peg I wanted, although because the river has been up it was muddy down the bottom so I ended up perched halfway up the bank.

Started fishing about 3.15pm and second cast this small Barbel. Did not weigh, around 3lb.

2020-08-31 15.40.38.jpg

Then 50 minutes later another small Barbel around the same size.

2020-08-31 16.31.27.jpg

Then it went quiet for a bit and all I caught was a snagged hanging basket out of someones garden! When the light started to fade a bit I had a few casts closer in and had a few bangs on the tip, probably indicating this is where the Chub live! But it didn’t take long for the rod to tear off again and another small Barbel around the same size.

2020-08-31 19.35.28.jpg

Then one small Chublet to finish the day.

2020-08-31 20.16.10.jpg

I kept having one last cast until it was dark but nothing followed. Someone who came round in the day who was roving between pegs told me he had 5 Barbel and a Chub but the couple of people fishing in the first meadow told me as I was leaving that they hadn’t had a bite all day. Although they were only small fish, and I could tell this time from the way they fought, I’m pleased with that as it means I’m now on 11 Barbel sessions and 23 fish in total.

Certainly lots of small Barbel about at Arley I think!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice one small barbel are a lot better than no barbel! They’re a fun size to get on the float
I want to catch some on the float but I think I'll have to wait till the river is spot on and get the right peg for it as it was racing through a bit today, surprised me as I expected it to be low after fishing a low and clear weir on the Worcs Stour just yesterday.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don't doubt it. Had one day there with 4 fish over 5lb if I remember right and in the right pegs they will be there. I just always seem to catch the tiddlers. :LOL: But I don't mind that as they still put up a good fight and it keeps my numbers up.

carphauler

Roachhauler
Don't doubt it. Had one day there with 4 fish over 5lb if I remember right and in the right pegs they will be there. I just always seem to catch the tiddlers. :LOL: But I don't mind that as they still put up a good fight and it keeps my numbers up.
You'll have a double from there later in the year, no doubt,👍👍

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
there's another pulse of water coming though now (see Shrewsbury on EA site) .... should peak at Bewdley around midnight tonight.
I'm expecting a Barbel match tomorrow - rather than having a chance with Dace, perch & chub (hope I'm wrong though)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm thinking of heading to Stourport tomorrow, might change my mind and go Barbel fishing instead.