Severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Went to Hempton Loade this morning (my sat nav having other ideas but I remember the route now I’ve done it) and it was always going to be a bit of a chance with river conditions and the weather. I had a gut feeling if I fished the peg I wanted there I could winkle out a fish or two.

When I got there, I realised I might have made a mistake, never seen the river so low and clear! The canoe stop halfway downstream almost reached halfway across the river. I was lucky, however, that it was overcast until midday!

I settled at my peg. The same one I fished last winter, this being my second time fishing Hampton.

2020-08-09 11.16.21.jpg

Took a while but finally one of the most viscous bites I’ve ever had… a bird had flew into the line! But it wasn’t long after that I was into a fish that turned out 8lb 4oz. That’s a modest new PB for me.

2020-08-09 10.12.15.jpg

Next cast I had another new PB. I thought it was a Chub but it turned out to be this slightly battle scarred 1lb 14oz Roach.

2020-08-09 10.38.29.jpg

Then it got brighter as the day went on and I fancied it less and less for a bite. The bailiff told me one fish was a good result as it is fishing hard everywhere and does not really surprise me given how low it is. Hopefully some rain this week will sort it out.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Went to Hempton Loade this morning (my sat nav having other ideas but I remember the route now I’ve done it) and it was always going to be a bit of a chance with river conditions and the weather. I had a gut feeling if I fished the peg I wanted there I could winkle out a fish or two.

When I got there, I realised I might have made a mistake, never seen the river so low and clear! The canoe stop halfway downstream almost reached halfway across the river. I was lucky, however, that it was overcast until midday!

I settled at my peg. The same one I fished last winter, this being my second time fishing Hampton.

View attachment 39262

Took a while but finally one of the most viscous bites I’ve ever had… a bird had flew into the line! But it wasn’t long after that I was into a fish that turned out 8lb 4oz. That’s a modest new PB for me.

View attachment 39263

Next cast I had another new PB. I thought it was a Chub but it turned out to be this slightly battle scarred 1lb 14oz Roach.

View attachment 39264

Then it got brighter as the day went on and I fancied it less and less for a bite. The bailiff told me one fish was a good result as it is fishing hard everywhere and does not really surprise me given how low it is. Hopefully some rain this week will sort it out.
Well done mate, 2 beautiful fish 👍👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Couple cracking fish there mate. With what you and robwooly have had out of it recently it does make you wonder what the big roach potential is. Definitely worth trotting some pellets or going after them with a scaled down barbel set up thats for sure!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
See the chunk that's missing from the Roach's tail. I reckon that's the 2oz missing from 2lb lol. In all seriousness though, the bailiff said to me he wasn't surprised as he said "They run to over 2lb under that bush". It would have made a good stick float swim and they certainly like the pellets!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Top angling @Zerkalo Cracking Barbel considering how low the river is.

Is the far bank still home to 1000's of ducks?

Cheers all.

No ducks where I was but 3 swans that I'm sure were there last time I fished in winter, although in winter the river was 3 foot up from what it was yesterday so the swans could peck at the bait you drop on the platform around your feet, too low for them to reach yesterday so no such problems!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Two lovely fish Zerkalo ... well done.

the Severn is a brilliant roach river, but so many who fish the middle river ignore them in favour of Barbel.

Robwooly

Couple cracking fish there mate. With what you and robwooly have had out of it recently it does make you wonder what the big roach potential is. Definitely worth trotting some pellets or going after them with a scaled down barbel set up thats for sure!
Well done Zercalo nice to see them quality roach still in there, I'm going to do a piece on trotting pellet for roach soon as you are spot on Silver it really does work for them even if it didn't on my recent holiday down there lol

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well done Zercalo nice to see them quality roach still in there, I'm going to do a piece on trotting pellet for roach soon as you are spot on Silver it really does work for them even if it didn't on my recent holiday down there lol

That would make an interesting read 👍🏻 I do sometimes trot 4mm pellets for them here if I have a bad batch of hemp that doesn’t hook well as they look similar but it doesn’t have the same bigger fish pulling power that it seems to have on the Severn presumably because not many pellets go in the rivers here.