Severn

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Rest assured mate they are there, but things, the river mainly, just aint right at the moment. It down to its bones (about 0.5m at Bridgnorth measuring station) and apart from a brief flush through a few weeks back, it has been at that level for ages.

6 of us fished 6.30 am to 7.30pm every day for three days last week, Arley, Hampton Loade & Highley, for a total of 14 Barbel and 6 good Chub, nice to get some fish, but effort to catch ratio poor for over 36 hours of fishing really. Along with the low clear water and very cold temperatures we experienced, we didn't really expect much. Enjoyed the lovely surroundings and social bit as usual though.

The Barbel are there, may be feet from your bait, but if it aint right they won't feed. Something lovely to see was a mate catch several small (under a pound) Barbel, good to see in terms of breeding too.

We have been going long enough to know now that if there aren't many locals about fishing, then it aint right, certainly the case last week. Trouble is with us, that we have to plan things well in advance and we come up at a set time regardless of what the conditions are.

We all came away knowing that we have given it our all and cannot do anymore sometimes, we tried:
Maggot, Caster, Hemp, meat, pellets (pellets producing a good few-goes against what we thought would work when low and clear).

Feeder, straight leads, rolling meat, waggler & stick.

At one point i had a single maggot on the float and never got a touch (Sunday am at Highley), low, clear and cold.

Will we be getting up there again.....too right.

pellet

Thanks northantslad, was beginning to get paranoid after last session on a good stretch and fishing with decent kda anglers with little results. Have to give it a miss this weekend but hoping to get out Tuesday, part of the reason for this log is so lads that travel have some knowledge of what is happening on the severn. Good luck to all and hopefully fish in the net.

pellet

Two barbell around 7lb yesterday caught on meat and a little more water on.The odd barbell caught by other anglers who said they had seen otters around quatford.

tunna

hi Pellet, Glad to hear you snared a couple. i've seen a few mink around Quatford / Knowle sands over the last couple of years, not seen any otters though.

pellet

Cheers Tunna, two very good chub yesterday would say one was easily 7lb on meat only fished a few hours after being delayed on route.No sign of any barbel being caught by other anglers in what seemed like good conditions.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Decent chub mate.
River level hardly moved still I see.
I wouldn't mind betting that sometime soon someone will have a good catch in the day time, they have got to have a good feed, conditions right or not.

Anyone been fishing the deeper water?

tunna

riverfest at Worcester to Upton won with 13lb odd, top 4 all had around the same weights mainly roach and dace on Bolo

tunna

Originally posted by pellet

Cheers Tunna, two very good chub yesterday would say one was easily 7lb on meat only fished a few hours after being delayed on route.No sign of any barbel being caught by other anglers in what seemed like good conditions.

Nice one mate, that's a cracking chub [:T]

pellet

Barbel of about 6lb yesterday not long after a move with plenty of rubbish coming downstream now the leaves are falling.

corbyclubman

Originally posted by Northantslad

Rest assured mate they are there, but things, the river mainly, just aint right at the moment. It down to its bones (about 0.5m at Bridgnorth measuring station) and apart from a brief flush through a few weeks back, it has been at that level for ages.

6 of us fished 6.30 am to 7.30pm every day for three days last week, Arley, Hampton Loade & Highley, for a total of 14 Barbel and 6 good Chub, nice to get some fish, but effort to catch ratio poor for over 36 hours of fishing really. Along with the low clear water and very cold temperatures we experienced, we didn't really expect much. Enjoyed the lovely surroundings and social bit as usual though.

The Barbel are there, may be feet from your bait, but if it aint right they won't feed. Something lovely to see was a mate catch several small (under a pound) Barbel, good to see in terms of breeding too.

We have been going long enough to know now that if there aren't many locals about fishing, then it aint right, certainly the case last week. Trouble is with us, that we have to plan things well in advance and we come up at a set time regardless of what the conditions are.

We all came away knowing that we have given it our all and cannot do anymore sometimes, we tried:
Maggot, Caster, Hemp, meat, pellets (pellets producing a good few-goes against what we thought would work when low and clear).

Feeder, straight leads, rolling meat, waggler & stick.

At one point i had a single maggot on the float and never got a touch (Sunday am at Highley), low, clear and cold.

Will we be getting up there again.....too right.

Your experience pretty much mirrors that of my club weekend on the wye, good crack as always but conditions always against us. s you say its pot luck when we turn up. We were unable to manage a single chub or barbel on the wye in two days last week. Only a couple of dace and brown trout for our efforts!

pellet

Fished last Tuesday two fish on but not on the bank, seemed to be mouthing the bait but not taking it fully. River was the highest I have seen for some time with plenty of rubbish coming down.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Now half a metre up from recent levels and after a short period of levelling, is rising further. Walked highley today, ship inn, burts stretch and beyond up to green footbridge, just saw the one fishing, he'd had a couple.

pellet

Four barbel today, smallest about 4lb other three 7-8lb, river is high and banging through. Lost three to snags and got soaked but well worth the effort roaming and only fishing safe pegs.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Good stuff mate. Yea I see its now 2metres up on recent levels, so with a bit of dropping and upping over last two weeks, its done 2m in 2 weeks. I know the river has the potential to rise this amount in a matter of days, so am thinking this rise represents a 'slow rise'? Therefore a slow drop?
Up there in a couple of weeks, so hoping the water is gonna be up still and with a bit of luck coming down. Mind you after recent visits where its been low and clear, will settle for anything bar that.

pellet

One barbel today around 4-5 lb, river about a foot down from last week but still pushing through. Gave my new imax suit an airing but way to warm for the moment.

pellet

Did the roaming tact again, first couple of pegs put bait in stayed about 30 mins in both then tried a few pegs with just single bait. Finally revisiting the first two for the last hour. Had the fish in a single bait peg so it looked like finding the fish worked rather than attracting them to me.