Setting up

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Varies depending upon day and tactics. I think the longest I've taken is about an hour between arriving, then unloading and setting up my seatbox with accessories, ground and hookbait, rod, side trays, landing net rod, and coffee. It's quicker if I use my chair. Packing up and loading the car seems to take less time

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Typically 45 minutes to an hour from arriving at the peg. And even then I usually spend another half hour before I get everything 'Right'. This includes plumbing up several times, removing and adding stotz to my line to get my float sitting how I think it should be on the day.

I don't much mind setting up, or taking time to do it. It's a pretty important aspect of fishing that dictates how successful I am throughout the day. When I was young I'd rush to get set up catching carp but not anymore.

Packing up, well that's another thing.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
River... As long as it takes to mount a reel on the rod thread it tie on a hook and add 1 or 2 swanshot and a bait... Float... as above but add a float... Carping... rods are pretty much ready to go... banksticks and alarms in rods baited and chucked out.. oh and a net for all... job done

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Depends on whether I am alone or have the lad with me.

He's only 8, so not much help setting up (he can put the net together and set the rollers up). He's less help still packing away :rolleyes:;)

Robwooly

Remember those old Le Mans starts in the motor racing where they had to run across the track and jump in the car when the race started? Wouldn't it be good if match fishing was like this? I'm only saying that as I can set up my float gear in a couple of minutes.

I'd be gloriously leading the match until being overtaken every time, once the others get going :ROFLMAO:

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
It depends on what type of fishing I'm doing, but if it's, say, pole fishing on the canal then it takes me about half an hour, (including plumbing up various lines). I'll then introduce a little feed on my chosen lines and sit back with a cup of tea or two for the next half hour or so to let the swim settle after all the commotion before starting to fish. Pretty similar for feeder fishing, though again I'll rest the swim after an initial bombardment with the feeder to get some groundbait down.

But if I'm lure fishing for Pike or drop shotting for Perch then I start fishing straight away ;)

robinta

I thought it was just me that takes forever! I'm probably in the 60-90 min category, especially if mixing up Groundbait.

With myself I put it down to fishing so infrequently, that it takes me a while to get into 'the zone'

For my next trip, I really fancy having a go on an 'old-fashioned' waggler set up (wind dependent) and a maggot feeder. But, unless I can set these up at home before setting off, I'm concerned that by the time I also set up a pole I'll have to pack up in the dark without getting a hook wet ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
How long does it take you to set up? I went fishing this morning and spent my usual 20 minutes setting up. Just after I arrived two guys came and started setting up opposite me. It was an hour and a half from them driving in to having a line in the water and they weren‘t really setting up any more kit than me. I had my seatbox feeder arm and butt rest, side tray, rod to put together, feeder to clip on and hooklength, bowl of groundbait to mix and landing net to dip and screw the handle on. They were pole fishing with seatbox, it looked like two topkits, pole roller and sidetray and a pole sock. I am fairly efficient in the way things go together but an hour and a half? Seriously? It got me wondering how long does it take most people?
Usually get an hour on my matches and it Usually takes me the full hour with pole ,feeder and float rods ,setting up keepnets bait tray rollers and plumbing various swims . Sometimes im a little after the all in

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Usually get an hour on my matches and it Usually takes me the full hour with pole ,feeder and float rods ,setting up keepnets bait tray rollers and plumbing various swims . Sometimes im a little after the all in
An hour is not long to set up for a match with pole and assorted rods. Doubt I could do that. I’m reasonably quick but I’m generally setting up for one method and don’t have keepnets to set up. The guys in my OP were setting up hardly anything. I can’t blame them for taking their time though if that’s how they want to do it.