Setting up

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
How long does it take you to set up? I went fishing this morning and spent my usual 20 minutes setting up. Just after I arrived two guys came and started setting up opposite me. It was an hour and a half from them driving in to having a line in the water and they weren‘t really setting up any more kit than me. I had my seatbox feeder arm and butt rest, side tray, rod to put together, feeder to clip on and hooklength, bowl of groundbait to mix and landing net to dip and screw the handle on. They were pole fishing with seatbox, it looked like two topkits, pole roller and sidetray and a pole sock. I am fairly efficient in the way things go together but an hour and a half? Seriously? It got me wondering how long does it take most people?

pies

Site Supporter
I get 1 hour from draw to start of match. So from draw bag to whistle im flat out setting up just about manage to get two rigs sorted. But if im mixing groundbait i will miss start of match

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I was always last to set up on Matches, even sometimes Chucking the Bomb out whilst i did last minute Prep.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
maybe they were having a nice natter and taking things easy and just enjoying about being outside? i can take from 10 mins to 90 mins to be perfectly honest, all depends on venue, time of year, if i am feeling sociable lol etc.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
15 to 20 minutes. Depending on if I fish one or two rods, or if I loosefeed or mix groundbait. And what the general conditions are like. I never fish commercials (there are no commercials where I live), so the venue might be totally overgrown with all sorts of green stuff. I have spent consideralble amounts of time gardening, standing a meter from the waters edge, without beeing able to see it.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
actually taken me half a day before from me getting in the carp park to setting up if i go carp fishing for a few days or a week, will always have a good mooch and a chat first to see if i can find the fish

wasnt saying you were wrong or anything, was just observing fella

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m sure you guys fishing matches probably set up a lot more tackle. Loads of topkits on a rack and maybe feeder rods as well so I suppose it’s probably not a fair comparison.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
really big matches you are can get 2 of 2.5hrs to set up and yep been there with all my top kits, 6 rods etc. lol looks like a tackle shop! but if its not set up you cant use it lol

Its been nice the last couple of weeks, no matches so just turn up with a top kit or a couple of rods already set up and off you go!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Anything from ten minutes to several hours. I've been known to walk around my syndicate lake up to three times just watching for signs of fish. That might also include the odd natter to those already in situ to find out what they've seen that day.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
From a pleasure fishing perspective, and a beginner at that, I’m ready to go in about 30 minutes if I’m feeder fishing, a little more if I’m on the pole. To be fair, I’m still getting used to things like setting up the seatbox, plumbing up, adjusting the pole rig etc etc

There’s always something I forget to do, which I normally remember just as the float settles or the quiver tip goes in the rod rest....

takes me ages to pack up when I’m finished for some reason.....

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends what I’m doing really. With a clear plan probably only 10 minutes but when I’m indecisive it can easily be double that.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Around 10 to 20 minutes, depends on what tactics I'm going to use when I get there.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When im on a weekender once the Rods are on the Pods and alarmed up it can tek about 3 hours to get everything in order, Weigh sling and Scales, Retention net, Bivvy, bed, sleeping Bags Pillows etc, Cooking gear and Brew makin stuff, Pod station with everything at hand i love to be Organised and know where everything is Oh and not Forgetting Alberts Comforts and Treats ;)

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
15 to 20 minutes. I used to fish with a mate who was a match angler and I often got amused that I’d catch a few fish before he’d even put in. I can’t ever recall one of our pleasure fishing sessions were I’d caught more than he had at the end of the day. There’s the moral of the story.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
All depends on what I'm setting up and how many of them, 20 mins minimum, if someone starts chatting could be ages, average is 40-1h.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm always really surprised by how quick I can set up a feeder rod, float rod takes only a few minutes longer, but I can set up my peg for example on the weir in about 10 minutes and be fishing, and that's with tying a hooklength on the bank. I'm always excited to get started as soon as possible when pleasure fishing, often to catch the dawn.