Sensible net limits?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Lee Richards no they didn't seem to much in that place. I don't know if the crazy stocking had reduced the oxygen to a point that they didn't have enough to excert much energy or what but they weren't much of an issue on the cadence and came in like bream on the ninja. Generally speaking I'd say carp out pull any coarse fish save for barbel so was odd. Weirdly I had an about a 3.5lb bream on the acolyte on Tuesday that fought like a carp would normally do to the point I had to backwind! Funny game fishing isn't it :)

Total

Site Supporter
At the end of the day I like many forms of fishing, just cos that holier than though bloke wants to game fish doesn’t give him the right to criticise everyone else, it winds me up , his attitude

Don't let it wind you up mate....Such people talk ballax most of the time....(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Completely agree with that Stillwater stocked rainbow fishing is even more artificial than commercial carp fishing.

I'd like to get into fly fishing but stockie rainbows have no appeal to me and I can't afford many wild brownie waters. I've yet to work out why river trout fishing is so expensive just because you use a method that makes a very easy to catch fish harder to catch. Especially when coarse fishing the same venues in the winter is a fraction of the price.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The irony of it all is commercial game fishing is mainly built around repeated stocking of virgin fish and instant stocked mega Trout.
Absolutely, a huge proportion of commercial game fisheries are just that and I choose to ignore them. I get little satisfaction from catching trout that have never seen a hook in their lives before. Other fly fishers do enjoy it and similarly survive as commercial coarse fisheries do.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I worked at the trout farm in Pickering for a while many years ago and they had a fishing lake where you could catch your own. Regularly stocked from the stock ponds and you could catch them on a cigarette butt :D

Total

Site Supporter
I worked at the trout farm in Pickering for a while many years ago and they had a fishing lake where you could catch your own. Regularly stocked from the stock ponds and you could catch them on a cigarette butt :D

Were they "Lucky Strike" fag butts?:oops::D

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
You can and people do just that. Glue a fag butt on to a hook and away you go. Daft innit.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I once worked on a fish farm that backed onto the River Test and occasionally used to go along and take a 'guest of the owner' angler on the river. If the angler was important to the owner from a business perspective, or a good friend, one of the larger Trout (10lb +) would be released into the river the night before so that the angler could be put on it the following day.
Some good business deals were conducted after the angler had caught a double-figure Rainbow from the Test ;)

JayD

I don't fish the overstocked waters because it's not my thing, but if it's yours then 'fill your boots' or keepnets :D . It doesn't have to be a carp dominated water, I would feel the same if it was artificially overstocked with roach, tench, or any other fish. My problem was that this practise spread like a disease, from commercially run waters, to club waters, and I've lost count of the number of fisheries that have succumbed to this practise. It's ok to say 'if you don't like it, then don't do it, but I, and many like me, have had their choice of waters reduced because of it. Waters I used to fish, with a decent mixed, balanced, stock level, including carp, where I could target the roach, bream, tench, etc, and have a decent chance of achieving my aim, and maybe hook the occasional carp. These waters were stocked with 1000s of carp, and every time I fished it, introduced some bait, then the carp would muscle in on the swim, and everything else would scarper. I ended up fishing with fine wire hooks so that I could pull to straighten them if I hooked a carp, and hoped that the roach etc, would return, they rarely did. It got so bad that I relinquished my membership of a few clubs, after having been a member for over 20 yrs.
I have so few stillwaters to choose from that now I usually only fish rivers and canals, but they are being spread to the extent that I've even had carp out of five of the Yorkshire rivers!

John.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
years ago if you fished on the day that the reservoir used to stock trout you could guarantee to catch until the fish wished up the pike new where to go as well
I like to catch fish on bait whether sea fish or coarse did fish a commercial years ago and was catching 1lb carp but I new as soon as a got a bite it would be same size fish so got bored

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
@dave a lot of Americans come over especially to fish the Test and Itchen while on business trips and exchange hundreds of pounds for a days fishing. These rivers are not as difficult to fish as some would have you believe, but its about fishing an iconic Chalk stream river that attracts them to southern England as we have 80% of the worlds Chalk streams here. Sutton Springs stock nothing smaller than 10lb fish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Jay I know that feeling. For years I had just one Stillwater fishery around here where I could fish for silvers and be fairly sure of hooking maybe just the one carp. That said I have found two more lakes this closed season where across 3 sessions I have thus far managed to completely avoid hooking a carp. It has been lovely as its meant I can fish for the other species with light gear without worrying about hooking carp therefore allowing me to catch more of and get more fight out of the smaller species.

Mike my experience of coarse fishing the Itchen definitely suggests they arent the hardest places to catch and my grandad used to catch plenty out of the test on the fly when hungover on rugby and grayling weekends in the winter so they don't seem to be too tough on the fly either. I think it's basically just a case of using a fly to create a challenge out of a situation where there doesn't be need to be one. Can fully understand why people do it though as chalk stream fish are stunning and taking one on dry fly must be a proper thrill. I'd certainly like to try it it's just a bit pricey!

Last edited:

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Jay I know that feeling. For years I had just one Stillwater fishery around here where I could fish for silvers and be fairly sure of hooking maybe just the one carp. That said I have found two more lakes this closed season where across 3 sessions I have thus far managed to completely avoid hooking a carp. It has been lovely as its meant I can fish for the other species with light gear without worrying about hooking carp therefore allowing me to catch more of and get more fight out of the smaller species.

Mike my experience of coarse fishing the Itchen definitely suggests they arent the hardest places to catch and my grandad used to catch plenty out of the test on the fly when hungover on rugby and grayling weekends in the winter so they don't seem to be too tough on the fly either. I think it's basically just a case of using a fly to create a challenge out of a situation where one doesn't be need in be on. Can fully understand why people do it though as chalk stream fish are stunning and taking one on dry fly must be a proper thrill. I'd certainly like to try it it's just a bit pricey!
It doesn't have to be pricey to fish a Chalk stream if you know where to look. The Driffield Beck (the most northerly in the world) in East Yorkshire being one of my favourites.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah tbf the bit of the Itchen I fish is free but it's a backwater with fairly small fish that's also not got room fly fishing without getting in the drink. Lovely spot for trotting though. I would like to get my casting up to scratch to go on one of the rugby and grayling weekends though as they did sound quite fun and as they were in the winter they weren't outrageously expensive.

davylad

Site Supporter
It's each to their own and if the demand wasn't there, commercials wouldn't stock these huge amounts. Supply and demand is key to success of business which these venues are. If they stuck to natural stock levels the fisheries wouldn't survive.
I read the other day Mike, that there was a big drop in commercial attendances. A little worrying for some of the owners who have laid a lot of money out on some of them.

davylad

Site Supporter
It doesn't have to be pricey to fish a Chalk stream if you know where to look. The Driffield Beck (the most northerly in the world) in East Yorkshire being one of my favourites.
Is that the same one as West beck Mike, as a friend of mine is a member. He reckons there's a waiting list of about ten years before you can get in. That was a while ago, it might have altered a bit.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I read the other day Mike, that there was a big drop in commercial attendances. A little worrying for some of the owners who have laid a lot of money out on some of them.
If they can survive this Covid business, I think there will be an angling boom this summer. More people out of work and with the pubs closed they will be looking for cheaper pastimes. All the fisheries I know are busy with many more new customers from locals not being able to stay anywhere over night. These times could be good for angling if the AT marketed it correctly.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Is that the same one as West beck Mike, as a friend of mine is a member. He reckons there's a waiting list of about ten years before you can get in. That was a while ago, it might have altered a bit.
Yes, it is now syndicated with a few day tickets available. Driffield anglers have the down stream stretch on membership terms.