Sensible net limits?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The difference to me is that one would be achievable on a natural or a fairly natural level stocked water whereas one would not.

That said I'm not sure I'd want to catch 45lb of your average 4-5oz roach as that would be a bit manic! Once you get over about 20 fish an hour that's a bit too busy for me as you don't really get the chance to appreciate what you are doing, what you are catching and where you are. That's part of the reason matches don't appeal to me personally.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Fished the club pool this morning and started on the short whip.
Roach and Rudd every drop in and it was akin to Bleak snatching.
No fight in the fish and after an hour I was bored s**tless.
No keepnet and no need to count as it's a pointless exercise.
At least with Carp of a couple of pound or more they will give a fight.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Fished the club pool this morning and started on the short whip.
Roach and Rudd every drop in and it was akin to Bleak snatching.
No fight in the fish and after an hour I was bored s**tless.
No keepnet and no need to count as it's a pointless exercise.
At least with Carp of a couple of pound or more they will give a fight.
But to get 450lb in the net during a 5/6 hour time period must be all about yanking and banking. To me that's not angling.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Id agree catching fish under 3oz is not much fun as you don't get much feel out of them on even the lightest gear. Generally with a bit of feeding the better stamp comes though so is worth putting up with the smaller fish for an hour or so until the stamp improves.

I don't know how anyone can actually fish for bleak though! I don't mind a few of them but once they get going they aren't half infuriating little blighters, must be mind numbing to actually target them. Would require me to be odds on for good money for me to resort to it lol

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The Roach were 4 to 6oz average and a few bigger,mind numbingly boring..
It passed some time though as I waited for my feeder swim to settle.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
You should try it for yourself Mike and see if the Carp give up as easily as you think they do.
I have, and got very bored of catching, it is why I gave up commercial carp fishing after 20 years of it and took up game fishing because you don't catch so many fish. 100lb of carp in a single session was quite enough for me thanks.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I find you get quite a satisfying scrap off a 4-6oz fish on a proper silvers float rod like an acolyte, obviously not a fight in the true meaning of the word but enough to not literally be able to just wind them in like a 2oz blade or you'd bump a few off.

Is amazing how quickly you can get small commercial carp in on the right sort of gear though. When I fished for 2-4 pounders a couple weeks ago they were taking I guess up to nearly a minute on a cadence CR10 #1 so I switched to daiwa ninja and they came in not far off as easy as 4-6oz roach would on an acolyte. Was quite shocked by the difference it made and from that I could see how the massive weights can be achieved.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I find something like Bream an easy medium. You usually have to wait for bites, they weigh a bit, and don't rip your arm off. Which is why it is my favourite kind of angling personally.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I get no joy whatsoever from anything that doesn't really pull back or is not a bit of a challenge.
Swinging silvers to hand was to me boring and always has been.
A sort of Bleak fishing on steroids.

4lb Carp on a rod in a minute, did they not fight then?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It's always the way though Chef and the constant popping at Carp anglers really gets my back up.

Dusty

Site Supporter
Angling elitism at its finest. I couldn’t care less what you want to catch or where you want to catch it as long as you are respectful, don’t leave a mess and take care of your catch.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
It's each to their own and if the demand wasn't there, commercials wouldn't stock these huge amounts. Supply and demand is key to success of business which these venues are. If they stuck to natural stock levels the fisheries wouldn't survive.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It's always the way though Chef and the constant popping at Carp anglers really gets my back up.
At the end of the day I like many forms of fishing, just cos that holier than though bloke wants to game fish doesn’t give him the right to criticise everyone else, it winds me up , his attitude

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They would survive though but only if everyone did it and as we've seen of late some fisheries couldn't even abide by the 'no fishing' and 'no matches' rules