Sensible net limits?

JayD

Like many others I packed in match fishing when the overstocked waters became popular. I tried them, but I found them too artificial and decided they weren't for me. Since then I have avoided them like the plague. I don't like calling them 'commercials', because we have always had waters where we had to pay for a day ticket to fish. The difference as I see it, is that on those waters you paid to fish the waters, if you caught or not was purely down to skill or luck to some degree. Now you pay to almost guarantee a catch of some kind. Angling is the only sport/pastime, that, as far as I know, makes its aims easier to achieve, and still showers it with plaudits. If football doubled the size of the goals. cricket had 5 stumps instead of 3, if dartboards were increased to 4ft dia', would they still be classed as equal to what they are now? The best strikers of the ball would still score more, the best bowlers get more wickets, the the best throwers more 180s and 9 dart finishes, but it would give lesser players a chance.
The other thing I hated was the building of these waters on flood plains, where the stock will leach into surrounding waters, (with EA approval). This doesn't just mean carp although few rivers don't have them now. An owner of an East Yorks fishery came onto a forum I was on, asking for money to help with the loss of 5,000 catfish from his ponds during flooding. I told him he should have been fined, instead of asking for money. The area he was in is surrounded by drains, all are connected to the river Hull, that leads into the Humber, the the Yorks Ouse, and Trent systems. Catfish are now being caught in parts of the Ouse, some 10/11 years later.
I appreciate that in this day and age, to some angling is now considered, an 'industry' and fish are regarded as a 'commodity', but I can't help feeling that we have lost something special in the process.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Why not have a weigh in after three hours,I fished a match at Drayton years ago and it was done there with no problems,gave everyone a chance to have a bite to eat and a cup of tea waiting for the scales.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Westwood lakes split the weigh in when its really hot and also stop you putting barbel in keepnets, which has just been announced this week for their lakes/matches

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Westwood lakes split the weigh in when its really hot and also stop you putting barbel in keepnets, which has just been announced this week for their lakes/matches
Very sensible about the Barbel mate, they are very delicate when in a keepnet. When they first started showing in the Trent many years ago, you would invariably see several dead ones floating down after the weigh in.:mad:

mark67

Site Supporter
Rather catch 100 pound of bream on the ressies or on the flashes than 400 pound of carp any day.
The only time i fish a commercial now is when i want a easy days fishing.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
from my username ... I am no fan of carp for match fishing - it's one of the reasons that has killed the large open match circuit that i grew up with.

But in the end it is a comparative test of skill (and luck) whatever the weights.

The reason the match anglers catch so much is that they are MUCH more skilled than the average punter at catching lots - the stocking levels are mostly designed to give those average punters a decent days fishing - so not really the fault of the match anglers.

We have a choice - there are still matches on "natural" fisheries that you can choose to fish. My top match weight on such a water is still about 50 pounds - and I have won a fair few opens over the years.
As Neil of the Nene points out - there are very few who choose to avoid the carp-dominated venues.

Couple of points on keepnets
1. large muscular fish will suffer a lot less damage than smaller, delicate ones. So mixing carp and roach is not a great idea, for example
2. in my experience, as a muscular fish, barbel do not suffer in keepnets (other than larger mesh - getting the dorsal spine caught). The problem is generally with people who play them too gently and let them wear temselves out. In fact - holding them in a keepnet in flowing water can be an excellent way to help recovery.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Noooo, don’t want lakes full of pellet lickers..........

Haha - I know what you mean !

But I have actually grown to like them, and I think they need more finesse than "normal" carp.

Just suit my style of fishing better and you don't have to worry that your pole is going to explode every bite !

Personal choice at the end of the day.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The very last competitive coarse match I fished in was at Messingham Sands. I won it with a mere 98lb of Carp in a single net, each fish weighing no more than 6lb. I was disgusted with myself for having so many fish in such an enclosed/trapped space and it helped me to make my mind up that this kind of fishing was no longer for me as there was no point in it and I gained nothing from it. Seeing some of these crazy weights nowadays makes me shudder to think what people actually get from it. In my opinion it has absolutely nothing to do with angling and I wonder where it is all leading. Makes no sense to me.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
no fish should die from being in nets (apart from maybe bleak as those guys just roll over! though we used to get on a coach to travel 100 miles to just catch a few lbs of bleak on a whip and people say carp fishing is brain
Very sensible about the Barbel mate, they are very delicate when in a keepnet. When they first started showing in the Trent many years ago, you would invariably see several dead ones floating down after the weigh in.:mad:

dead lol)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
also can we stop all this bashing of different types of angling please, if you dont like a certain type of fishing then dont do it, but there is no need to knock people who do enjoy it or make derogatory remarks, not all carp anglers are camo wearing catch at all cost anglers, not all match anglers are selfish competitive anglers who take everything and the kitchen sink with them, not all commercial anglers enjoy catching 400lb+ of carp, not all pleasure anglers are mindless drunk yobbos who do not respect nature.........................theres good and bad in all types (ive not even mentioned fly or sea fishing!)

Note i have not referenced any people or posts in the above statement!

cant we all just go fishing and enjoy it???

Dusty

Site Supporter
also can we stop all this bashing of different types of angling please, if you dont like a certain type of fishing then dont do it, but there is no need to knock people who do enjoy it or make derogatory remarks, not all carp anglers are camo wearing catch at all cost anglers, not all match anglers are selfish competitive anglers who take everything and the kitchen sink with them, not all commercial anglers enjoy catching 400lb+ of carp, not all pleasure anglers are mindless drunk yobbos who do not respect nature.........................theres good and bad in all types (ive not even mentioned fly or sea fishing!)

Note i have not referenced any people or posts in the above statement!

cant we all just go fishing and enjoy it???

Totally agree with this.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The very last competitive coarse match I fished in was at Messingham Sands. I won it with a mere 98lb of Carp in a single net, each fish weighing no more than 6lb. I was disgusted with myself for having so many fish in such an enclosed/trapped space and it helped me to make my mind up that this kind of fishing was no longer for me as there was no point in it and I gained nothing from it. Seeing some of these crazy weights nowadays makes me shudder to think what people actually get from it. In my opinion it has absolutely nothing to do with angling and I wonder where it is all leading. Makes no sense to me.
Stupid putting that many fish in one net, that’s what makes no sense to me !!! Absolutely nothing to do with the style of fishing, just sheer stupidity using one net !!

Last edited:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
It may be that some of you would like to fish the Fen drains. There are scores of matches here every year, and some Winter Leagues and some clubs fish nothing but these natural waters. Alex at Pidley will be only too pleased to help, I am sure.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
One should never confuse something looking easy with it not being skillful. And the old saying still applies, the more I practice the luckier I get.

Try a commercial in the depths of Winter (proper Winter not like the last one) and tell me its easy fishing. I recall a Winter league match on the strips at Decoy with 40 fishing. 2 fish caught.

And for what its worth. I have had two weights over 200lb in my life. Easy to achieve? No, a rarity for most people, match anglers or not.

smiffy

Site Supporter
It may be that some of you would like to fish the Fen drains. There are scores of matches here every year, and some Winter Leagues and some clubs fish nothing but these natural waters. Alex at Pidley will be only too pleased to help, I am sure.
Fantastic venues but nothing like the amount of big matches there used to be,especially now the forty foot is off limits. I’d be all over them like a rash if they started having any amount of anglers turn up. Brilliant venues,all of them.

davylad

Site Supporter
Stupid putting that many fish in one net, that’s what makes no sense to me !!! Absolutely nothing to do with the style of fishing, just sheer stupidity using one net !!
I too shudder when I think of the weights we got in Northern Ireland a few years ago. I can't ever remember seeing any anglers with more than one net, including myself. It's surprising how quick you can put 50lb in your net, half a dozen lumps and you're not that far off.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I would have thought there is more angling satisfaction from catching 45lb of silvers than 450lb of carp