Sensible net limits?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just read this and it makes sense to me....

Tunnel Barn Farm

KEEPNET NOTICE
We had an issue on Tuesday with some of the anglers being unable to get their nets out of the water. In normal circumstances we would always help with this, but due to Covid 19 / social distancing guidelines we can no longer do this. If you cannot get your net out of the water we will not be able to weigh you in.
Therefore for the time being we are changing our keepnet rules from Thursday 4th June.
The maximum you will be allowed in one net is now 50lb. We will allow a 10% tolerance on this. Please ensure that you sink enough nets. If it looks like you are going over in your nets and you don't have another, then contact the shop.
Thank you.

It is something I've come across several times when doing weigh-ins, especially when the angler is elderly or has physical issues preventing them from lifting their nets from the water.

50lb is still some weight to lift, especially as a deadlift with water to contend with - what do you feel is a fair weight and if you couldn't lift your own nets would it stop you match fishing?

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
40lb possibly 35lb. We are talking over 50's on tue and over 60's matches on thur at Tunnel barn.... up to any age !

40/35lb isnt that much and maybe not very practical, but when you have older possibly infirm anglers, that is the reality of whats needed when lifting on their own.

Last edited:

davej1981

I think the key word is limit- like speed limits its maximum not a target, yes there needs to be a limit in respect of fish welfare, but if you can only manage to pull out 25lb, then that is all you should put in. Might mean more nets for some but its safety at the end of the day

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I am used to the old Decoy limits and tend to follow them wherever I fish. 50lb, knocked back to 50 if 50-60 in the net over 60 and disqualified if over 60. Being cautious I, and many others, would stop at an estimated 40. But this year Decoy have changed rules. You now use your own nets, not the fishery's and they only stipulate three nets and split your fish equally. On Sunday this led to some huge weights in single nets. IMHO totally unacceptable.

I had one net a few ounces over 60 and struggled to lift that out, the ones with 50 in were bad enough. We have a married couple in our club and they have difficulty in getting their kit in the car. Three nets each is all they can physically fit in. They would stop attending matches at Decoy if they regularly needed more than three nets. I could manage six or seven nets but would seriously have to consider my match fishing if I needed that many regularly.

I'm hoping Sunday's match was a one off, we have never seen weights like we did on previous matches over several years at the venue. It sounds like the fish at Tunnel were also in a feeding frenzy.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
On our club matches, a limit of 50lb per net is the norm. If the angler cannot lift the net on his/her own, then the people doing the weigh-in help out. It's really helpful on Tuesday matches as those matches are for over 60's and disabled.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I think the key word is limit- like speed limits its maximum not a target, yes there needs to be a limit in respect of fish welfare, but if you can only manage to pull out 25lb, then that is all you should put in. Might mean more nets for some but its safety at the end of the day

Yeah i was going to post the same thing. I’ll be filling mine (hopefully) but a lot of the old boys might struggle.

davej1981

Tbh alot of the places I will be going if you hit 50lb your going to be framing so not so much of an issue

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
60lb as Jansons but you cant fish the matches if you cant lift your own nets from the water, also 60lb to 65lb get knocked back to 60Lb, if a net weighs over 65lb the whole net is disqualified

Oldmech

Site Supporter
We have several disabled anglers in our club who are unable to lift nets out and someone will always get nets out for them, we are trying to sort out how this will work under Covid but it looks like one fit man (if one exists in the club) will have to do all the lifting out of nets for those unable to do so.
To be honest I think 50lb net limits are about right as any more and the angler can struggle plus nets get damaged.

map

Hi
couldn’t agree more.

lp1886

Site Supporter
In my opinion, I wouldn’t want to lift more than 50lb just because I always worry about the bottom dropping out on my 12 year old nets.
If it gets to the point where nets can’t be lifted out, they could also have 3/4 hour matches instead of 6 hours.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Its not just about what an angler can lift it is about the welfare of the fish. No point saying you can lift 40lb if you cant lift it cleanly out of the water without dragging it up the side of the platform/bank.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
So if you are expecting a bag of 300lbs you'll need six nets minimum...more, if more fish are on the cards... utterly ridiculous.. this is one of the reasons that I packed it in... its no longer a test of skill, its a test of speed hauling and no longer a pleasure... (well to me its not) I often hear the old adage of rather catching 20lbs of Roach than a 100lbs of Carp... that is now more true than ever....

Glad I'm out of it really... I still dip into the odd charity or plum pudding knock up, but deffo not to that degree...👎

smiffy

Site Supporter
How about reducing the weights required to win a match to the point where this isn’t an issue?
Except on those red letter days when the Bream have a go.

Arch

Site Supporter
I've often wondered why there couldn't be some sort of weigh machine at each peg/angler. You catch a fish, put it on a scale, it weighs the fish, records the weight digitally, then returns the fish to the water via a shoot. You have a running total then, and at the end of the match you know whos won straight away.

Maybe the cost would be prohibitive, but for big matches like Fisho and the like, I think it would work.

carphauler

I've weighed people in with 260lbs plus in 2 keepnets,the anglers needed help to lift them, as long as they're equal split was the rule, I told them to buy or use more nets but they ignored it, I think the net rule was then lowered to 70lbs, over 100lbs and it's not weighed.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Go to a big fish venue like Larford and 4 fish could well see you over your net limit... stocking carp into waters for match fishing was always going to end badly... when you have a venue full of 20-30lbers what then...? open it to syndi carpers...??? Time to get back to Silvers matches.... or if you really want Carp have F1 or Carassio

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Unfortunately culling and re-stocking will become the only option. Yes some bigger carp will be taken by syndicate waters, assuming they are healthy, but there must be a finite demand.

So fish large will have to be removed and used as fishmeal, animal food or fertiliser.