Sending rods via courier :(

Old Myke.

Cantankerous old git :)
It would not surprise me if this subject has been mentioned before but here goes most courier companies these days will not take a rod parcel/tube over 1500 cm in fact some not over 1200 cm for collection/delivery from a private source. So I trawled the internet sites looking for who would and at what prices and OH! it can be very expensive no wonder you see collection only advertised frequently on for sale sites these days.
I looked at one.. interparcel.. after a recommendation so I went to the review sites to check up they subcontract the work out and for me the percentage of bad reviews was a shock! if your in the market for selling a rod or two privately I recommend checking them up before going ahead.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I sent one To Trogg in Stafford from Leeds with Royal mail, inc signature on delivery and insurance 12 Quid (y)

david white

Site Supporter
It would not surprise me if this subject has been mentioned before but here goes most courier companies these days will not take a rod parcel/tube over 1500 cm in fact some not over 1200 cm for collection/delivery from a private source. So I trawled the internet sites looking for who would and at what prices and OH! it can be very expensive no wonder you see collection only advertised frequently on for sale sites these days.
I looked at one.. interparcel.. after a recommendation so I went to the review sites to check up they subcontract the work out and for me the percentage of bad reviews was a shock! if your in the market for selling a rod or two privately I recommend checking them up before going ahead.

Unfortunately whilst much of what you said is undoubtedly true you can do the following to tip the success rate in your favour
Use a next-day delivery option, don’t post on a Friday ( most don’t deliver on a Saturday ) make sure your postal charge more than covers you outlays
Packaging is the be all and end all wrap the rod in bubble wrap then in a plastic rod tube then more bubble wrap then use a cardboard carpet inner tube make sure you photo each stage of the packaging
( yes the above is a faff but as I said FULLY cover your costs and more importantly your back by complying with couriers ‘ best practices ‘ ( trust me it’s in the small print )

Remember as in most review ratings in life most people only register complaints rarely comment on positive and successful deliveries

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Yes fully agree, Parcelforce is very good, but exceed 150cm and the price nearly doubled for another 20cm, and you also have to take to a depot as the local post office cannot accept.
Always best to check if discount codes available, the one for this month is: FE20, which gives you 15%

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Parcelforce do an extra large service that cover all rods. I used them recently for a rod I sold on here and I cut the tubes down to under 1500mm and it went via the Post Office.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I used TNT to post 12' 2 piece rods ( about 2 mtrs ), cost around £20 with insurance and they pick it up from you. You can get it cheaper with no (or minimal) insurance.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
APC offer a longer parcel service

as is said above, if you require something to reach its destination in good nick, wrap it well

gutter downpipe or underground drainage tube is the strongest Ive found

DFL

Site Supporter
Sorry to start sounding like a broken record but it is possible to send rods in tubes up to 2m in length DEPENDING ON YOUR POST OFFICE. I have sold a few rods recently and with the 15% discount Parcelforce are offering this year I am paying between £11 and £13 depending on the weight, not the length.

I do as David has described, rod in plastic tube, bubble wrapped and then into a cardboard tube.

5658-C144-1-B8-F-4038-BA2-E-84833-DF7-D94-E.jpg

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
TNT next day are cheapest on inter parcel for up to 2m long. I’ve only used them a couple of times but no problems, it was £18.12 last week, I used a cardboard tube I had received from angling direct, I charged £20 on to the eBay sale.

interparcel I believe is just a price comparison site for parcels.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I use Parcel Force. Just add the postage & insurance to your price - never had a problem. I agree with the comments regarding packing. Living in Scotland makes it essential to use the postal services for buying & selling rods. I shall have a look at TNT......

Old Myke.

Cantankerous old git :)
I tried parcel to go and parcel monkey plus others but when it came to the length of the parcel it was a no go. Parcel force 48 would take it but over the magic 1500cm the price shot up.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use TNT for long or extra heavy parcels. They are really good.

I have used interparcel for years and never had a problem with them. I’m a bit puzzled about the negative reviews. If you have to claim on the insurance they are really good too although it usually takes them six weeks to pay out. That is my only criticism. If I book TNT I do it through them as well.