Selling sites for fishing gear

MR1993

Hi all, I am looking for any good sites to sell my old kit on, I posted to gumtree on Wednesday and I keep getting spam calls now since putting my number on there so had to remove the listing. Seems its not just me (reports here) Any better sites that aren't so plagued with scammers please? Maybe more fishing specific ones? Would rather not use ebay either as never get as much as I'd like on there.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
myself matey, have done quite well on the classifieds on here and by word of mouth

ebay isnt to bad, if you require a minimum amount for your items, make the start price that amount or use the reserve function

there is also the facebook selling pages, Ive done quite well on there too, buying and selling

MR1993

myself matey, have done quite well on the classifieds on here and by word of mouth

ebay isnt to bad, if you require a minimum amount for your items, make the start price that amount or use the reserve function

there is also the facebook selling pages, Ive done quite well on there too, buying and selling

I dont have facebook myself but my bf does so Ill get him to try that out for me, thanks for the tip :)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Another for this site. What you got?, how much?, and can I afford any? Go easy on my pocket, I'm only a poor pensioner...(he says, with puppy dog eyes). :whistle::LOL:

Lcn

I use gumtree but only use an email address on there and not my phone number because I don’t want my number being public . I gave up selling on Facebook because of the idiots who offer you half the price or less but think because they put Cash at the end you’ll give the stuff away and also because of the endless timewasters . The last stuff I sold in there had the price , location , description of everything and loads of photos of it all and I’m pretty sure most of the tards that messaged me didn’t even look at the ad because they nearly all asked where I was , how much , what there was and did I have any photos . I ended up taking the ad down and selling on gumtree the next morning. I’ve tried preloved but not had much success on there though

davylad

Site Supporter
I don't get that bit on gumtree, where your number is partly hidden, but you just click reveal to see it. Why's that?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Another for this site. What you got?, how much?, and can I afford any? Go easy on my pocket, I'm only a poor pensioner...(he says, with puppy dog eyes). :whistle::LOL:
Poor pensioner my a***e, you have 'wifey' and she is priceless(y)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If you use eBay, they often have deals on where you only pay £1 selling fee instead of 10%. Setting a reserve price will cost extra, as will being paid by paypal.Another problem could be postage costs, although you can get round these by advertising as local pick up only, and if so, get cash on collection which will mean no paypal fees, but also, will help avoid a scam whereby they pay by paypal, someone picks it up, then they turn up to claim the item you've let go.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Would rather not use ebay either as never get as much as I'd like on there.
You should bear in mind that, with a few exceptions, second hand fishing gear does not generally command particularly high resale values.
It doesn't help when manufacturers revamp their product range every couple of years, so retailers sell their remaining stock at cost just to get rid of it and you find the Daiwa reel you paid £150 for 12 months earlier and were gonna sell for £75 can now be bought brand new for fifty quid.
This forum is as good a place as any to sell gear - Facebook is a waste of time - most of the sellers must be selling gold-plated tackle the prices they try and achieve and buyers either don't turn up, offer stupidly low prices or ask you to post something when the advert states collection only.

Just as an example I was selling (still am actually) a Preston OnBox (5 drawer) with the bespoke trolley, small sidetray and PuPS pole support system for sixty quid for the lot. After advertising it on Facebook I got loads of messages asking if I'd take £30 or how much the postage would be - one bloke came to see it and actually thought he was doing me a favour offering £20 - I told him to sling his hook and bunged it back under the stairs :p

Tri-Cast, Normark and some Drennan and Daiwa rods will usually sell for decent prices and antique tackle - rods made out of bits of wood - also seems to sell for strangely inflated prices. Most of the rest will be worth just a few quid - certainly nowhere near what you'd paid for it.

Simon