Selling late fathers fishing gear

Missyalex

Hi,
Im looking for some help as a non fisherwoman! I live in Kirkham, near Preston.
I've finally gathered the courage to start to sell my dad's fishing gear after he passed away 3 years ago. I know he liked fly fishing, but I'm flummoxed by what all the stuff is and how to sell it. I've dusted off about 12 rods so far...some have the name etc so i can google them, but loads havent so i cant guess a price. I haven't even started on his fishing boxes, which have the reels etc in.
Please could someone suggest how to sell everything. I'm guessing I can't eBay them as most rods are in cloth bags and are bendy! Is there a fishing club I could advertise at. Maybe someone would want to bulk buy everything and then sell it on. Id be happy to do that but don't know how to find anyone.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Alex

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Do as much research online as you can about the rods, some may be worth a few quid some not, some fishing tackle shops will buy items off you, my Asaki rod was from a tackle shop that had bought a job lot from a deceased person's relative.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
You may find there is someone on here who is near to you and may be able to help you value the tackle - local tackle shops are really good at this sort of thing too in my experience.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
@mike fox might be able to help you as he's our resident fly angler, plus a genuinely nice man.

Some tackle shops will sell it for you on a commission basis. Tbh without knowing what you've got to sell it's a bit hard advising the best way to go so you get a fair price without being ripped off.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Are you on Facebook? The groups River Ribble catch reports, River Ribble Salmon & Sea Trout fishing, Mid Ribble Angling Society are local and may be able to assist you.

Missyalex

Hi,
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I'm going to start googling all these different rods, and probably learn loads about fishing! From Shimano to Daiwa to Bruce and Walker. I've listed and photographed the rods now. In the next few days I'll start on his tackle boxes and learn some more. Then I'll contact tackle shops and Facebook groups. Many thanks for your ideas. I'm not so panicked now.
Alex

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Hi,
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I'm going to start googling all these different rods, and probably learn loads about fishing! From Shimano to Daiwa to Bruce and Walker. I've listed and photographed the rods now. In the next few days I'll start on his tackle boxes and learn some more. Then I'll contact tackle shops and Facebook groups. Many thanks for your ideas. I'm not so panicked now.
Alex
Always worth posting the photos on here. There's always somebody looking for something. People might even be able to advise on prices. They're an honest bunch as well & you won't get ripped off if you were to sell something on here.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
@mike fox might be able to help you as he's our resident fly angler, plus a genuinely nice man.
:eek::eek: who me?
Difficult to value on the open market as it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. There is so much second hand gear out there. Depending on the age of your late father, there may be some collectors items amongst it so don't put anything on FB or the like until someone with experience can tell you what exactly it is. For example is it Salmon gear, Sea Trout gear or freshwater Trout gear. Are there any Hardy rods/reels amongst them and what condition?
I've just seen your above post. The Shimano and Daiwa will be of little value. The Bruce and Walker could fall into the collectors category. I was going to suggest googling the items to find out current selling/asking prices. You're on the right track now.

Dropon

If you list the Daiwa, Shimano and Bruce & Walker rods on here you may get some offers and or advice.
The best tube to post rods in are the cardboard tubes that carpet rolls are on, carpet shops are usually pleased to get rid of them.
Best of luck.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Ted Carters shop in Preston used to sell a lot of secondhand rods and other tackle on a commission basis but now it's been taken over by Angling Direct they may not do it anymore, I don't know. Might be worth a phone call?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi,
Im looking for some help as a non fisherwoman! I live in Kirkham, near Preston.
I've finally gathered the courage to start to sell my dad's fishing gear after he passed away 3 years ago. I know he liked fly fishing, but I'm flummoxed by what all the stuff is and how to sell it. I've dusted off about 12 rods so far...some have the name etc so i can google them, but loads havent so i cant guess a price. I haven't even started on his fishing boxes, which have the reels etc in.
Please could someone suggest how to sell everything. I'm guessing I can't eBay them as most rods are in cloth bags and are bendy! Is there a fishing club I could advertise at. Maybe someone would want to bulk buy everything and then sell it on. Id be happy to do that but don't know how to find anyone.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Alex
Very sorry for your loss, it is very hard i know when it comes to loved ones possessions. I cant think of a better site than this one , please post pics on here with names and length of rods , please check for damage if any . Pictures paint a thousand words , you can then ask advice on pricing and can also stipulate collection only if you prefer. Good luck , they are a good bunch on here .