See ya later alligator

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
And that is one of the reasons I've never fished freshwater in that part of the world. At least in the sea the Sharks don't come out the water!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
And that is one of the reasons I've never fished freshwater in that part of the world. At least in the sea the Sharks don't come out the water!
When you go to Florida in Alligator season give this guy a call!!! Robert Arrington based in Jupiter, Florida.

baboboy

Site Supporter
When you go to Florida in Alligator season give this guy a call!!! Robert Arrington based in Jupiter, Florida.

Poor creature. Seems cruel to kill an Animal of that size. Thought they would just hunt the smaller ones. Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
They only issue a certain amount of licences every year, no licence no alligator. As he said in the video the larger ones cause more harm to the younger alligators. Nothing is wasted, they eat what they catch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Poor creature. Seems cruel to kill an Animal of that size. Thought they would just hunt the smaller ones. Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive.
It’s quite a strict system. The season is mid august to November and you have to apply for a permit and each permit allows you to kill two of them. Pretty sure you can’t hunt for them for more than a a week out of the first month or so of that period either or something weird like that. Permits area quite expensive, I think at least a couple hundred dollars for residents and over a grand for non residents. Think it’s cheaper if you already have a trapping licence (for land management or moving nuisance ones) but no idea how that works. State wide they grant about 7500 permits a year so only 15000 alligators out of a population of about 1.3m (human population is only 21.5m!) so it’s pretty sustainable. As Geoff says they eat most of them so it’s just like livestock really.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Is that where you ask in cafes for an alligator sandwich and make it snappy.

I'll get my coat !