Security?

ClydeBuilt

if they want to rob me that bad and they have a weapon then they would rob me! if i have a weapon it just means they can use theirs so i do not believe in arming myself, my fiancee was in bed asleep and had two burglers broke in at 2am a couple of weeks ago and she screamed till they pointed a gun at her, she then tried to grab a knife so they beat her about a fair bit before they took all they could and she thought she was going to die after trying to grab the knife.

its all well and good saying you will do this or do that but until it really happens no one knows and no life is worth any possession, we have one life but possessions can be replaced, listening to her calling me at 4am in bits and not sleeping for 3 days because she was too scared and still having nightmares now is the worst thing ive ever had.

best you can do is deter them with security lights, cameras or dogs, if you make it hard for them they will generally find a easier target, if im mugged in teh street, fine take what you like, i can replace it, no point risking a serious injury or death just for a item i own
Thats a tough one mate, confronted with that in my own home its take no prisoners.

ClydeBuilt

While I too am anti-violence, how do you know they will not go further than just taking your stuff? What if you feel your life is in danger, half these kids doing this are on something, out of their heads. Just maybe you have to get in first, I really don't know its a bit scary just to think about it? I do have these, but no excuse to carry them apart from visiting the range? View attachment 32776 View attachment 32777 View attachment 32778 View attachment 32779 View attachment 32780
My brothers bought me a nice toy in the same vein, cant see me taking it fishing though. A Damascus steel Kukri ! Like Denzel Washington in "Bookof Eli"?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
If some little dog's pizzle wants my gear with the threat of violence, he better know how much of his own pain is he willing to endure
I'm thinking a nice long sharp bank stick , and a hammer . No one is taking my stuff without pain

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i know what you mean buts she is 4ft 9, skinny as a rake, against two full grown tattoo men who had a gun each, they could have done much worse, they stole her engagement ring, money she had for the rent, even the groceries she brought that day as well as the laptop, phone, her sisters jewellery etc.

like i said you can replace items and possessions, some things you cant, i wouldnt risk my life to save any possession but i would have fought them to the death to protect her if i was there at the time

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
We all have a very handy weapon and could also have ammo for it and not get in trouble.
Catapult and air dried rock hard boilies.
At present I use one of these when carping:
Kodex Karpult Boilie Catapult
A 15mm full pelt at close range is going to hurt 😉
I had something similar happen to me. Late teens messing about look like they were going to cause hassle with me, gear and wheelchair, so mixed gravel with maggots in my catapult left clearly visible in my lap, turned my chair 90' degrees to examine my gear and old metal bank stick. They decided to move along.

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
While I too am anti-violence, how do you know they will not go further than just taking your stuff? What if you feel your life is in danger, half these kids doing this are on something, out of their heads. Just maybe you have to get in first, I really don't know its a bit scary just to think about it? I do have these, but no excuse to carry them apart from visiting the range? View attachment 32776 View attachment 32777 View attachment 32778 View attachment 32779 View attachment 32780
A wooden camping mallet would be more explainable

Rick123

Site Supporter
Never gave it any thought till recently, but what do you do as an angler when some tit decides you have your gear off you knowing full well you cant do much or even just run after him?

In the past, a bit of snarling and sweary-words did the trick and only once did it come to blows. Its amazing the effect of having a rod wrapped around yer nut, has on the desire to be a bad boy. Plan A is always to discretely bugger off into the sunset unharmed, with a spot of wilfull vandalism in the car park should it become available.

Ideas?

At Hallcroft recently they caught a guy on CCTV breaking into cars. I also watched two guys distract a chap at Portland away from this gear, then stole his Delkims. It goes on just being aware is important. I'm still 6'2'' and fairly big set, but I cannot run or engage in fighting at my age. I may well put a big knife in my bag just in case? I know the risks, but my gear and life is most important. images.jpeg I do own this very knife.

rudd

Site Supporter
At Hallcroft recently they caught a guy on CCTV breaking into cars. I also watched two guys distract a chap at Portland away from this gear, then stole his Delkims. It goes on just being aware is important. I'm still 6'2'' and fairly big set, but I cannot run or engage in fighting at my age. I may well put a big knife in my bag just in case? I know the risks, but my gear and life is most important. View attachment 41818 I do own this very knife.
Dont be a plonker, you cant fish in a prison.

Get a priest, perfectly legal to be carried by any angler.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haha, Crocodile Dundee in the making :D

Seriously, if someone is intent from stealing your tackle from underneath you whilst it's in use there are not many people out there with (a) the skills, (b) the ability, & (c), more importantly, the mentality to carry out an effective defence.

Point a weapon at someone who's intent on robbing you and you have just upped the game stakes. Fine if you know-how and have the ability to use it, but do you have the mentality too? Don't forget once you start there is no going back until the job is done, you can't just pause part way through, you can't be sympathetic when you see the first sign of any injury, and if you make a start and the attacker beats you you're more than likely to come off far worse as they use whatever you were pointing at them on you.

By all means, don't just roll over and play along with them, but be firm, decisive, tell them to do one, but if they are intent and aggressive, only you can then decide how much your gear is worth to you. And don't forget in retrospect most of it is replaceable.

That said and done, you can't beat a long solid bankstick for giving someone a good thrashing yet being able to maintain a reasonably safe distance.
Go at it like a whirling banshee and you'll scare the bejasus out of most people, especially if they're on the receiving end of relentless blows.
Step back, let them get between you and the water, push them in. That gives you the upper hand and doesn't take a lot of effort.

And don't forget, most people have the best form of defence with them at all times - the mobile phone - use it, keep 'location settings on', hit the emergency button, and call for help. That in itself can be a big deterrent.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just joking and thanks for the kind thoughts guys. But it would be nice as the thief runs away to stick a hawk firmly in his back, take that punk, make my day. ;) ;) I do have a very nice priest form my fly fishing days, worth a thought that? Thanks all.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If you are able to steal my mate Nicky Dodds gear while he’s sat using it I’ll phone you an ambulance. Lovely guy but, I wouldn’t want to cross him. Me and Chefster know how to distract him though ..... take him some scones. 😂😂 C245BC54-0A59-4B48-A12E-7895E00F682E.jpeg

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Haha, Crocodile Dundee in the making :D

Seriously, if someone is intent from stealing your tackle from underneath you whilst it's in use there are not many people out there with (a) the skills, (b) the ability, & (c), more importantly, the mentality to carry out an effective defence.

Point a weapon at someone who's intent on robbing you and you have just upped the game stakes. Fine if you know-how and have the ability to use it, but do you have the mentality too? Don't forget once you start there is no going back until the job is done, you can't just pause part way through, you can't be sympathetic when you see the first sign of any injury, and if you make a start and the attacker beats you you're more than likely to come off far worse as they use whatever you were pointing at them on you.

By all means, don't just roll over and play along with them, but be firm, decisive, tell them to do one, but if they are intent and aggressive, only you can then decide how much your gear is worth to you. And don't forget in retrospect most of it is replaceable.

That said and done, you can't beat a long solid bankstick for giving someone a good thrashing yet being able to maintain a reasonably safe distance.
Go at it like a whirling banshee and you'll scare the bejasus out of most people, especially if they're on the receiving end of relentless blows.
Step back, let them get between you and the water, push them in. That gives you the upper hand and doesn't take a lot of effort.

And don't forget, most people have the best form of defence with them at all times - the mobile phone - use it, keep 'location settings on', hit the emergency button, and call for help. That in itself can be a big deterrent.
Unfortunately some people are just out for trouble, last summer some idiots thought it would be good idea to try to push me and my wheelchair from behind straight into a canal. I wasn't fishing just waiting for family and friends to catch up as I use a pretty nippy electric power chair conversion. Thankfully it is quite heavy and was on solid ground so they had a few issues. Some of the people I was with coach rugby, 3 of them ended up in the canal before they realised what was going on and the last one legged it. My friends wouldn't let them back out and told them to use the other bank, so they couldn't hassle us any more. Me and my expensive chair were fine, but I would never go back alone just incase they are locals.
2m social distancing is good for one thing, but shouldn't have to worry about it really. It is a hate crime but the Police aren't interested unless they are short on stats that month.