Secretive Techniques

rudd

Site Supporter
I wouldnt have the stones to use GB at range outside of a feeder, imagine cocking it right up and plopping a tangerene size ball of GB right on top of someone elses float. Ive seen men hit with bar stools for less. :ROFLMAO:
Is thjs a new secret guru bait?

rudd

Site Supporter
I have a question that someone might be able to advise on.

I match fish on occasion an open water carp venue which is 10-15ft between 13m and 16m.

I like to have a line to myself and I either put a line in at 16m if the anglers at either side are fishing 14.5m - 14.5m if they are fishing 13m or 13m if they are fishing shorter than this, yet I still struggle to catch on the deck at this distance. (I really only feed either corn or pellet to catch on the deck and alternate hookbaits between expander/pellet/meat corn/maggot/worm etc)
I can sneak a few fish in early doors on the deck and an odd one or two as the day goes on have fed to keep them down over the length of a match as a trial to see what happens but it never works as I want it to.

So now I purposely use this line as my banker catch carp shallow line and start feeding it little and often with either pellet or maggot or caster from the off and after about 3.5 hours this line starts to become really good and I can catch really well fishing shallow. Sometimes until the end of the match.
In my mind these carp have settled onto the feed after making their way to the margins from further out in the lake.
I don't think I have drawn them up off the deck or from mid depth as I have never had indications when fishing to depth or deep shallow with the way I have my rigs set.

The other line which seems to be popular is the 6-8m line which is about 5-8ft deep.
Again, I can catch on this line later on in the match as the carp start to move closer in but don't have much confidence on it being a line I should be be concentrating on early doors as again it isn't very productive after spending hours concentrating on trying to make this line work. Obviously the margins are margins and the last hour is the banker here as a rule but not always.

I have played about with distances and depths on the pole to try to find what I would call the perfect starting depth but just can't seem to figure out what this should be. So I tend to now start on the waggler or bomb and pellet at about 25m scratching around while feeding the long pole line constantly until the carp rock up on it and then the margins while pludering the long pole line.

My results are not that bad most of the time and I do pick up on occasion yet I feel I am missing something and am not too sure what I need to be looking at to get more out of the peg.

On deeper than average venues when fishing for carp, has anyone got a particular preference on optimum starting depth/distances for fishing for carp on the deck or any advice on what else I can take a look at to try and optimise the peg?

Cheers in advance
Have you tried 10 or 12mm pellets on a pellet waggler or splasher at distance?
Maybe one of them groundbait floats at distance or firing out balls of ground bait with pellets mixed in designed to breakapart when hitting surface creating a spodding effect? Then fish amoungst it.
From your description it sounds like they are in upper layers and its a case of getting them attracted and searching an area.

Specimen carp anglers would use zigs and spods in this situation.
The guru match lads took a beating off the guru/korda specimen guys in one episode doing this.

dave brittain 1

I have a question that someone might be able to advise on.

I match fish on occasion an open water carp venue which is 10-15ft between 13m and 16m.

I like to have a line to myself and I either put a line in at 16m if the anglers at either side are fishing 14.5m - 14.5m if they are fishing 13m or 13m if they are fishing shorter than this, yet I still struggle to catch on the deck at this distance. (I really only feed either corn or pellet to catch on the deck and alternate hookbaits between expander/pellet/meat corn/maggot/worm etc)
I can sneak a few fish in early doors on the deck and an odd one or two as the day goes on have fed to keep them down over the length of a match as a trial to see what happens but it never works as I want it to.

So now I purposely use this line as my banker catch carp shallow line and start feeding it little and often with either pellet or maggot or caster from the off and after about 3.5 hours this line starts to become really good and I can catch really well fishing shallow. Sometimes until the end of the match.
In my mind these carp have settled onto the feed after making their way to the margins from further out in the lake.
I don't think I have drawn them up off the deck or from mid depth as I have never had indications when fishing to depth or deep shallow with the way I have my rigs set.

The other line which seems to be popular is the 6-8m line which is about 5-8ft deep.
Again, I can catch on this line later on in the match as the carp start to move closer in but don't have much confidence on it being a line I should be be concentrating on early doors as again it isn't very productive after spending hours concentrating on trying to make this line work. Obviously the margins are margins and the last hour is the banker here as a rule but not always.

I have played about with distances and depths on the pole to try to find what I would call the perfect starting depth but just can't seem to figure out what this should be. So I tend to now start on the waggler or bomb and pellet at about 25m scratching around while feeding the long pole line constantly until the carp rock up on it and then the margins while pludering the long pole line.

My results are not that bad most of the time and I do pick up on occasion yet I feel I am missing something and am not too sure what I need to be looking at to get more out of the peg.

On deeper than average venues when fishing for carp, has anyone got a particular preference on optimum starting depth/distances for fishing for carp on the deck or any advice on what else I can take a look at to try and optimise the peg?

Cheers in advance
JLK my approach on a venue like that would be to start on the 6-8m line in summer while priming the shallow line for the 3rd hr onwards however given your reservations about this line if it is a definite none starter due to the fish being further out, I'd start on a method feeder on the pole line while feeding 6mm or 8mm over the same line or if not allowed the straight lead.

A good shallow line usually takes a couple of hours or so to attract sufficient numbers of fish into the swim and to get them competing actively for the feed. However there are distinct exceptions where you will know from experience that you will catch shallow from the off, particularly when it's warm you have a good ripple with the wind blowing directly into your face.

On deep venues the key is knowing what depth to start at and how shallow the fish will feed confidently at. A good starting depth can be 5-6ft however as the match goes on and you attract more fish into the swim, they will go shallower and on some occasions will come as shallow as 18ins. The key is finding the best starting depth and then changing to suit. I tend to find if you are getting quick dips and no foul hookers you are generally too shallow. Add a few inches at a time and it can transform the peg with the quick dips becoming sail away bites.

If the float moves sideways and you are getting constant indications and occasional foul hooking odd fish it's time to start shallowing up, noting 2 inches can make a big difference and it's fine tuning this depth in conjunction with your feeding that dictates your catch rate.

Note in all of the shallow matches I've won and that's a lot of matches, in the last two hours the peg has always gone form strength to strength where in the last hour I couldn't get the float in quick enough. However in the south west shallow fishing, particularly the pellet waggler isn't as good as it used to be as the fish have wised up, however don't ;et that put you off because on it's day shallow fishing can be very hard to beat.

It is all trial and experimentation trying to force the fish into actively competing for the bait, however on hard days don't ignore that 6-8m line because if the depth and conditions are right it could surprise you. If you haven't tried hand feeding meat on this line, try it, flicking in 6-8 pieces from the start. Try it every 20 minutes after the 2nd hour because if they come in onto it, it can be devastating.