Seat Box

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Because of a back problem Im trying to reduce the weight of, or replace my seat box. At the moment I have a Preston OnBox of which I am taking out all the drawers when it comes to lifting the box in and out of my car. I really don't need the deep base , I mainly fish in car accessible pegs . What I was considering was a Preston Absolute with the removable module but Ive just watched a demo of one on you-tube and the guy says that even without the module the Absolute is very heavy. So if anyone has a suggestion or reccomendation id be glad to hear it. Doesn't have to be a Preston and don't want to run to the carbon frame model

J W

John
Site Supporter
The Preston Inception is pretty lightweight and you can get the 360 seat with back rest either as a standard package or extra to the Inception box.

I have also seen the Nufish Resta Box which looks like a neat lightweight option...

Reuben

Site Supporter
Mate, just use a chair. I can still have the Preston accessories on my Korum Chair. The rest of my stuff fits in a Trakker carryall or a Korum Bait & Bits bag. I don’t fish matches & that’s the only reason I’d have a box of any sort - pole fishing directly in front & shipping back directly behind.
EDIT - I’ve had a sit in the Nufish Resta box & found it bloody uncomfortable.

Whixall

Cant help with a recommendation but can confirm the preston absolute 36 is a dead weight. Just 'treated' myself to one and absolutely love it once it's at the peg but even shifting it about on a Barrow is a trial as nearly all my club waters involve crossing fields.

Definitely not a light weight option!

Marker50

Site Supporter
Second using a chair.
I have all the bits that i used to have on my s36 on it.
Only prob is there no stock of korum deluxe high backs at mo.
My mate been trying to buy one all week

crackatoa

Site Supporter
My lad has the Inception and it is light compared to other modern boxes. Not bad pricewise either.

Simon R

Site Supporter
MAP H30Lite is a similar weight to the Preston Inception but generally about £40 cheaper
I've got the H30Comp with the deep base unit, which is considerably heavier although that may be due to all the rubbish I carry about.

My only experience of the Nufish Restabox was a sit on it in the tackle shop and I thought it quite comfortable - it is a bit lacking in storage space though - just the space under the seat which is divided into four and you'd struggle to fit anything other than the shortest pole winders under there.

Simon

mimississ

Can you get a footplate for the octbox mk19 ultralight,,,, just thinking bump bar/ pole rest,,,

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
If you want a good light box, have a look at the Matrix S25. I’ve got the S36 & the S25 & to be honest, I rarely use the S36 as the S25 is so much lighter. I can just unclip the tray units & seat from one box & clip it straight onto the other.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Preston Inception is the lightest of the main manufacturers, but this has 30mm legs. I have just bought the Matrix P25, which is slightly heavier, because this has 25mm legs and I have a load of 25mm attachments.

I'm quite pleased with the weight. I have added the single side draw, but I don't think this has added much weight (most of the weight seems to be in the seat). I could carry it on my shoulder, though in fact I use a trolley.

My cancer treatment has made me lose a lot of strength, but I'm sure I can get on with the P25. My problems have been mentioned in my blog, which had about 250 entries in the last three years.

I had the Octbox 25, which I loved, but it's far too heavy for me now. I shall be selling it in the near future now I know the P25 will be OK.

PeteC

I've got the inception box...yep, it's lovely and light, but then you add more trays and fill it up...!! So......don't add more trays and only put in the box what you need and then it's lovely ?
Also, if you get the 360 seat it is really comfy.....just don't try lifting the box around with it attached as it becomes very heavy and cumbersome......

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
If you want a good light box, have a look at the Matrix S25. I’ve got the S36 & the S25 & to be honest, I rarely use the S36 as the S25 is so much lighter. I can just unclip the tray units & seat from one box & clip it straight onto the other.
I should have said F25, not S25

alsur

Site Supporter
I replaced my Preston onbox with matrix Matchmaster similar to F25 but with folding footplate, I compared it to a lot of boxes and it was lightest Which is why I bought it. You can use it with any amount of trays and drawers and is very versatile, recently I've been playing with it to make it lighter, taking footplate off had the biggest effect. The only thing I would add is with all trays fitted when set at right height frame is lower and box is very stable but with just a couple of trays the frame is higher and box loses quite a bit of stability.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Thanks for the input guys, I’ve got a Korum chair but can’t get on with when fishing long pole , to be fair it is the high back one, superb for feeder fishing. Today I tried out unclipping the drawer modules and splitting the box into 2 parts, worked quite well but I’m a bit concerned about the clips standing up to the wear and tear so I will be looking at some of your suggested seat box options.