Seat box with back rest

marc_uk

Site Supporter
I went fishing yesterday and discovered that my old penrose can no longer meet my requirements because I can hardly walk this morning lol! I have a lower back problem and sitting for 9 hours solid on that seat as really aggravated it. So im looking for a seatbox that comes with a backrest for between £150-£400, anyone have any recommendations? Something lightweight would be advantageous. So far ive seen these:

Browning black magic s line box (looks well made but no foot plate)

Koala ks 7 (these seem dodgy but no real reviews out there)

Preston Innovations Inception 360 (most expensive here but a nice looking box)

Anyone here own one of these? If so would you recommend? Also any other boxes that would suit my needs that anyone can suggest?

Thanks

melvyn

Head Blanker
I have the Browning box. I find it very comfy when using a pole. I fish club ponds so no need for foot plate. Made a pole bump bare for it. Back rest is short . So not good for lounging on.

marc_uk

Site Supporter
I have the Browning box. I find it very comfy when using a pole. I fish club ponds so no need for foot plate. Made a pole bump bare for it. Back rest is short . So not good for lounging on.
Cheers, is it fairly light?

chrisdobb

I had the same problem, agony after a days fishing.
Problem is now solved, i bought boat seat from fleebay for £35, that together with a swivel mount and a bit of 12mm ply, couple of hours work and I now have a preston seatbox still with original cushion top but also interchangable swivel seat which is confortable I can sit on it all day with no back pain and the added luxury of a swivel seat. Total cost around £55

Attachments

• IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 43

PeteC

Preston one is fine and comfy to sit on but is heavy and a bit cumbersome (looks like the boat seat above), so best not try to move the box around when it is attached. I have both the flat seat and the chair so tend to transport the box in the car with the flat seat on it and put the chair on when the lifting around has been completed.
Hope this helps, but I would strongly suggest you try before you buy as it may not work for you.....oh, the box on its own is pretty good and was one of the lightest I could find...until you add more trays and fill it up.....!!

marc_uk

Site Supporter
I had the same problem, agony after a days fishing.
Problem is now solved, i bought boat seat from fleebay for £35, that together with a swivel mount and a bit of 12mm ply, couple of hours work and I now have a preston seatbox still with original cushion top but also interchangable swivel seat which is confortable I can sit on it all day with no back pain and the added luxury of a swivel seat. Total cost around £55
Thats a great set up, and what a goodcway to do it 👍

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Preston one is fine and comfy to sit on but is heavy and a bit cumbersome (looks like the boat seat above), so best not try to move the box around when it is attached. I have both the flat seat and the chair so tend to transport the box in the car with the flat seat on it and put the chair on when the lifting around has been completed.
Hope this helps, but I would strongly suggest you try before you buy as it may not work for you.....oh, the box on its own is pretty good and was one of the lightest I could find...until you add more trays and fill it up.....!!
Thanks for that... i always say i wont fill it up but then a few weeks later it weighs a ton from all the gear ive stuffed in there 😂👍

I'll have to see if i can find one to try or a few

GoonerDrew

Can’t comment on the others but having recently bought a Koala Team Match Station (after looking at loads of other, more expensive boxes!) I will not complain!
The build quality is good, fit all my attachments, can handle my weight (I’m a rather large chap!) and comes with side tray and spray bar. It doesn’t come with a back rest (I read that most say don’t get one as it will make your back hurt even more - but I’ve never used one so can’t comment on that) but you can get one that fits as well. For the money, bearing in mind that you can buy a box of similar weight with fewer accessories for a lot more money, it’s a great deal.
And before anyone asks, no I’ve no affiliation with them. Just an honest appraisal.

adriang

Site Supporter
My father has the Koala KS7 and its not very good. The legs are too close to the box, so when he has any fittings on them, they get in the way of the drawers if they have not been extended enough to give them clearance.

Legs are square, all of his fittings are from Koala, not sure if the Preston/Korum adapters fit, that would be something to check.

Had one of the let adjusters/tighteners snap, plastic made so they are not a great design, although I'm not sure any that are. They did eventually replace it.

marc_uk

Site Supporter
Bought this one! It was £270 with the extra draw unit and side tray. It came with wheels but i wont use these often. The legs all have a spirit level and a screw top... hopefully this will be easier on my back as its very tall and has the back rest.

Attachments

• 20210630_153810.jpg
    20210630_153810.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210630_153829.jpg
    20210630_153829.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210630_153844.jpg
    20210630_153844.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210630_153907.jpg
    20210630_153907.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210630_153925.jpg
    20210630_153925.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210630_153928.jpg
    20210630_153928.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210630_153939.jpg
    20210630_153939.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 32

whorlicks1

1625469591200.png

I have a rubbish back and bought one of these browning feeder chairs a few years back , the back rest is adjustable unlike some of the seat boxes , my only criticism is the side tray and foot rest is metal so quite heavy .
i replaced the side tray to a plastic one and leave the foot rest in the shed , the price is around 150
there is also storage under the seat. hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Browner

Site Supporter
How do you find it, comfort wise.
I not worried about the footplate or the side tray (probably sell them).
I was looking at the Nisafish one but I don’t think the backrest is adjustable.
Do you know the weight without the tray and footplat?

whorlicks1

How do you find it, comfort wise.
I not worried about the footplate or the side tray (probably sell them).
I was looking at the Nisafish one but I don’t think the backrest is adjustable.
Do you know the weight without the tray and footplat?
its pretty good for comfort, once you get it sorted ,although this is a bit like a dining chair. it can be a bit of a faff with sticking the legs in
you might want to try one first.
the storage of the legs don't quite work the clips needed to be more spaced apart.
mines called a browning feeder king (in gold lettering on the back , i spray painted mine over)..
the backrest adjusts on a screw ratchet knob
weight wise unsure .maybe 5k
theres a you tube video browning feeder chair.
hope it helps .

Poacher Pat Felstead

Bought this one! It was £270 with the extra draw unit and side tray. It came with wheels but i wont use these often. The legs all have a spirit level and a screw top... hopefully this will be easier on my back as its very tall and has the back rest.
That's nice, what model is it and where did you get it? I'm looking for a box with back rest.

Thanks

marc_uk

Site Supporter
That's nice, what model is it and where did you get it? I'm looking for a box with back rest.

Thanks
Hi

I got it from here:

You have to buy the extra draw unit seperate if you want it 👍

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Ditched my box at the start of the season, cos of my bad back (disc problem) got myself a koroum seat. Superb , no back problems whatsoever, fish all day long in comfort. Carry my gear in a large purpose designed fishing shoulder bag, no problems whatsoever.