Seat box height

Amazoman

Hi All
I’m in the market for a new seat box. I am disabled and cannot carry heavy gear. Because I am in affect lacking in feeling from my knees to my toes on both legs and have very little balance, my thighs need to be higher than my knees in order that I can push up onto my sticks from the seated position. I can just do this from a dining chair. So I need a lightweight box that is quite tall from footrest to top of seat. I don’t want to be having to add cassettes to gain the height thus increasing weight.
I am still using my old Boss Btec box, which is too heavy for my wife to lug about lol with the added problem that to gain the required height you need very long arms to reach the bait on the side tray. Any suggestions please.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Hi, I have a similar problem, I switched to a chair with arms but not quite right, I have been looking into a box, light weight and right height, you need a H frame box, such as Preston SL30 or the matrix xr30 compact. I’m looking at the Octbox but still lots of research to do. Also need to consider do you really need a footplate, extra weight as well?

Last edited:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Depends how much gear you take, but something like this looks like it will work.
There is no storage in the base, but more storage means more weight.

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
Another option to gain height is to have extending legs but slot a foot rest not on the main part of the leg but on the insert. This will allow you to adjust the height but still keep your side tray at a comfortable position.

Amazoman

Thanks for the quick replies. I am looking at the Preston Inception Griffo. If someone has one who can tell me the height from footplate to top of seat that would be great. You say consider if you need a footrest but it’s the extra legs this gives you for accessories/pole rest I feel is important. Buy good tackle, did you mean on my existing box or any I bought?

Amazoman

Sorry for my confusion. I do want a new box for the weight and hadn’t considered having a footplate attached to the telescopic inner. This is because I’ve never experienced a box like that. My Boss Btec just has 19mm square legs non telescopic.

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
If you look on e-bay there are lots of different diameter extending box legs. When you find a box that suits replace the front two legs of the box with the extending/telescopic versions and attach a suitable footrest to the inner part of the leg.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Thanks for the quick replies. I am looking at the Preston Inception Griffo. If someone has one who can tell me the height from footplate to top of seat that would be great. You say consider if you need a footrest but it’s the extra legs this gives you for accessories/pole rest I feel is important. Buy good tackle, did you mean on my existing box or any I bought?
Yep platform gives you that extra pair of legs, the inception (not station) is the newer version of the sl30, but footplate adds a bit more weight, the inception is still one of Prestons lighter boxes, Having been using a chair the last year I’m not sure I do need the extra legs for attachments, every thing I attach can go on the box front legs, I’m not match fishing but only think I can’t do is use a Pole bar for long pole which I don’t tend to fish for long anyway? It’s going to be totally down to personal choice, there will be a compromise somewhere between weight and comfort.

FishingNewbie

Another option to gain height is to have extending legs but slot a foot rest not on the main part of the leg but on the insert. This will allow you to adjust the height but still keep your side tray at a comfortable position.
Any chance of a sketch to show what this modification looks like in practice please? I have considered this point (adjustment is normally bellow the box) and causes loss top of leg height for positioning correct side tray height. Have considered using the threaded leg extenders.

FishingNewbie

Sorry for my confusion. I do want a new box for the weight and hadn’t considered having a footplate attached to the telescopic inner. This is because I’ve never experienced a box like that. My Boss Btec just has 19mm square legs non telescopic.
It's always a problem that the foot & adjusters are below the footplate, thus causing the footplate to be high off the ground therefore requiring the seat to be raised even further than without the footplate. I've considered using 'un-footed' legs to mitigate this, but not so good on soft ground.

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
Very rough sketch. Take the insert out of the main leg, thread on the footplate and reinsert into the main leg. Repeat other side, adjust to suit!
IMG_20220921_131335_193.jpg

FishingNewbie

Very rough sketch. Take the insert out of the main leg, thread on the footplate and reinsert into the main leg. Repeat other side, adjust to suit!
IMG_20220921_131335_193.jpg
Had a look at doing this and it wouldn't work on mine. The outer leg is 30mm and the inner extending part is circa 20mm. The hole in the footplate is 30.5mm (for the 30mm leg to fit) and the adjuster moves/clamps a moon shaped crescent plate against the leg with only 1.5mm range of movement, leaving the 20mm leg in a 30.5mm hole like a 'prick in a shirt sleeve' with no grip of the adjuster clamp whatsoever.
You've drawn a footplate hole/clamp that matches the size of the inner leg when it was originally sized to fit the outer. Please explain where i'm going wrong?

Dave gsx1400

I`m sorry to hear of your dilemma. It sounds to me that your seating position is of uttermost importance, so maybe considering a seat box isn`t the best way forward. Have you considered a seat which suits (with adjustable legs) and a seperate lightweight box for your tackle which will sit alongside a seperate seat?

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
It depends on the footplate you use but the difference can be taken up by using Preston inserts to give the grip required. The OP also was on the lookout for a lighter box which may/may not have a footplate or extending legs so by buying two extending legs and either using the Preston inserts or buying a Koala style smaller diameter footplate off the net he could get his solution.

FishingNewbie

It depends on the footplate you use but the difference can be taken up by using Preston inserts to give the grip required. The OP also was on the lookout for a lighter box which may/may not have a footplate or extending legs so by buying two extending legs and either using the Preston inserts or buying a Koala style smaller diameter footplate off the net he could get his solution.
Thanks. That's an option. I guess that you'd have to devise a method of locating the insert split in the correct rotation for it to work. I know the inserts work fine for light weight accessories but are you sure they're engineered to take the full weight of a person that couldn't afford it to slip? There could be a reason why leg adjuster clamps are so more robustly engineered than leg accessory clamps made for trays, pole socks, rod rests etc.

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
If you were not confident about it holding then a messy solution would be to put a metal adapter of the correct size below the footplate clamp as a stop.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
You used to be able to get matchbox 'festival seats' they were a cushioned one side and a built in side tray all on one level - they didnt have any storage but did have a handle like a suitcase to carry them when not in use - Extending legs could be added ( no footplate) - I havent see one for a while but they were larger framed / light but youd obviously have to take the legs off each time and clip to base BUT they were very stable due to increase width across the top - cant find a picture of one but they could offer a solution ?

Amazoman

Sorry I haven't replied for a while but don't know if people are responding to my posts or Fishing Newbie posts. If it was for me Neil I like to fish a pole, not always long distances but without a footplate and the front legs I couldn't use a pole rest and I would feel most uncomfortable fishing with it across my legs all session. Currently I have a small V pole roller out in front on the tool bar which works well plus a tulip rest for the pole on my right hand side as I break down. I suppose its what you get used to. To conclude It's the Preston Inception box that I will be getting.