Seat Box decision

Stealth123

I am going to buy a new seatbox, finally parting with my Brilo box. Its a toss up between the Preston Absolute ,Maver Signature D36 and the MAP Z36.
Can anyone throw any light as to pros-cons or preferences or indeed issues with any of these boxes.
Also are accessories interchangeable ie will Preston stuff fit onto other makes and visa versa (not trays but external equipment, trays, roosts etc).
Any views or help much appreciated.

nejohn

Site Supporter
One thing I will say is if you are looking for a Z frame type box is don't buy blind, get out and try one with the combination of drawers/trays etc that you are looking for as there is no way of adjusting the seat height other than adding/taking away trays and they are all slightly different. I looked at them before the 1st lockdown and found with the combination of drawers that I was looking for the height to the seat could vary by a couple of inches between different manufacturers, quality wise I found the mainstream manufacturers were all generally about the same so it would have been a case of just choosing what suited me best in they end I decided not to get one as I preferred the versatility of a H frame type box but I fish varied venues and really need to be able to add and take away units but still maintain a comfortable seat height. If I had bought one it would probably have been a Rive for no other reason than the drawer/trays that I would need took the Rive to a more comfortable height for me than other boxes.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
All I’d say is start some exercises for your back, all the boxes you mention will probably be double the weight of your brilo! id agree with nejohn don’t buy blind.

adriang

Site Supporter
One thing I will say is if you are looking for a Z frame type box is don't buy blind, get out and try one with the combination of drawers/trays etc that you are looking for as there is no way of adjusting the seat height other than adding/taking away trays and they are all slightly different. I looked at them before the 1st lockdown and found with the combination of drawers that I was looking for the height to the seat could vary by a couple of inches between different manufacturers, quality wise I found the mainstream manufacturers were all generally about the same so it would have been a case of just choosing what suited me best in they end I decided not to get one as I preferred the versatility of a H frame type box but I fish varied venues and really need to be able to add and take away units but still maintain a comfortable seat height. If I had bought one it would probably have been a Rive for no other reason than the drawer/trays that I would need took the Rive to a more comfortable height for me than other boxes.
I'd second all of what @nejohn says..

I traded up from my old Tubertini/Rive contibox to a full Rive station setup.. I got hold of one second hand and it enabled me to reuse my SeatboxUK seat top and also the stacker boxes, which does give a lot of flexibility to chop and change what I take, and it gives the opportunity to adjust the height 30mm at a time (the height of the thinnest tray).

I never used a footplate before, on the rare occasions when it would have came in handy, I used an 'old school platform', I get the point of them and I now use mine, but jeeze the setup does get heavy, especially when combined with all of the external goodies from Preston, etc.

I've been looking into an H frame setup, I want it to be compatible so can still use the rive trays, but travel light when I'm on the local cuts and only fish a pole.

Asking around and what fellow angers like and don't like (despite brand loyalty) is a good thing, i was chatting to somebody on Sunday who has a Matrix setup and is planning on changing because he doesn't like the design of the seat and how it supports his pole.

Your question about the bolt on goodies, buying Preston, they come with adaptors to match most of the different seatbox legs, and even if buying second hand, can be found pretty easy as everybody has left overs from what they are not using. As somebody who has been using the setup for less than a year, I totally get the convenience and flexibility. (quite a strange feeling to take all the bank sticks out of my rod holdall).

When I 'traded up', I decided to offload most of my old octoplus stuff on eBay, a royal pain to package up in boxes to post, but I got enough to cover the cost of what I paid for the Rive (2nd hand) and the Preston bits and pieces.

Stealth123

Thanks everyone, think I will try before I buy.. I suppose the sturdiness of these boxes is a trade off with the weight issue.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Don't forget that if you go for any box with 36mm legs you'll need an entire new set of accessories - none of your current stuff will fit.

Personally I consider the Z frame a backward step in the evolution of the seatbox - they offer no advantages over the H frame and exist just to ensure that the majority of buyers will have to purchase numerous extra trays (at fifty quid a pop) just to achieve a decent seating position.

Simon

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Make sure you do your homework. I recently bought a Sensas Nanoflex box heavily reduced from £650, (half price). I had to buy an additional single draw module to get the height right. Then I had to modify it due to two design flaws. 1st was that the plastic drawer had a recess above it which meant that when you pulled the drawer out there was nothing to stop it hinging and tilting downwards, (very poor design concept). Two pieces of alloy right angle resolved it and the draw slides very nicely now. The second issue is as per many seats a hard foam seat, awful to sit on making fishing a misery after a long cold session. Foam replaced the seat is very nice and comfortable now.

The other thing to bear in mind is footprint and weight. My new box has 36mm legs, they're super stable but as others have pointed out a lot of accessories only fit 30 and 25mm legs. The weight factor of the 36mm legs and frame also needs to be considered, not to mention the size and area that some modern boxes take up in the car.

If I was looking for a new box in hindsight I'd opt for 25mm legs and if weight and foot print is a consideration I'd look closely at a Matchbox. If weight and budget isn't an issue Rive, Guru and Octbox would be top of the list, noting the Octbox seat is rock hard.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sell whatever body parts you can and put a deposit down on a Guru RWS. You know you want to ..... NOT. 🤣🤣.

I’ve just bought a Daiwa 500 in blue. Loads of storage. Too much in fact. I’ve found myself buying more winder trays now. 🙄.

nejohn

Site Supporter
What ever you buy, you will certainly notice a difference in weight and build quality from your Brilo, mine will be coming back into service when I get round to modifying the frame for 25mm legs. You may want to look secondhand at something like a Milo TARDIS very good boxes, well made and loads of space although they are a bit heavy. I took my Boss modulator out of retirement last summer and forgot how good that was also. Z frames are good if you fish similar venues and have good access with a forklift truck 🤭 or at least a barrow. If you fish varied venues then as Simon says a H frame might be a better bet