Sea Trout

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Yesterday whilst lobworming on the Aire in Yorkshire I had a 3lb Sea Trout. Personally I've never had one before in 36 years fishing. Are they widespread or not? It was a beautiful fish which was thick built and quite beaky.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They run the rivers on the south coast regularly. I’ve not caught one (or have I with them being the same species as brown trout?) but they are not uncommon to see.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
More common than you think, more every year running the aire, the east coast rivers have a pretty healthy run, my best sea trout went six and a half and what a fight

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

More common than you think, more every year running the aire, the east coast rivers have a pretty healthy run, my best sea trout went six and a half and what a fight
Yes when I googled it, it took me to the Esk on the North Yorkshire Moors as a stocking venue. £275 a year to fish it 😮

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Jonathan: Where on the Aire? Before moving back home to Ireland in 2011, I was very familiar with the Aire from Leeds up to Skipton, especially above Keighley, and often wondered if they were coming back as far up as that, though I never heard of any being caught. I hope so, for the upper Aire above Skipton has lots of good spawning beds. There were plenty of grayling above Keighley, especially from the Silsden-Steeton bridge upstream so the water was suitable.

Where I live now, the Burren river, really only a beck, is 100 yards behind the house. It flows into the Shimna half a mile away, where the record Irish sea trout of 16lbs 6oz was caught in 1983. Sadly they're rarer nowadays, though shoals of small ones are regularly seen in the estuary waters. I remember as a teenager in the 1950's when we would regularly get three or four salmon worming after the August floods: all for the pot and shared out among relatives. Aaah! Memories.

squimp

Site Supporter
Lovely fish, well done.

i caught some ‘sea trout’ one winter when chub fishing In the dark with big lumps of paste on the Thames near Oxford. I showed the pictures to an EA contact and he agreed that they were Probably sea trout.

a few months later I showed the pics to a friend who is on the committee of ‘Cotswold Flyfishers’ (they run fly fishing on the Coln etc which are Thames tributaries). He laughed and said they weren’t sea trout, but their stockies that had moved down into the main river and grown a bit !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah can’t imagine sea trout would run the Thames as even brown trout are rare as rocking horse poo in it. Absolutely loads in the coln though with a decent number in the windrush and glyme and a few in the evenlode so no doubt the odd one has a mooch in the Thames once in a while.

squimp

Site Supporter
I caught 3 of them. well actually It was 2, as I caught the same one twice in 3 days ! Trout spots are quite useful for good fish ID.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Jonathan: Where on the Aire? Before moving back home to Ireland in 2011, I was very familiar with the Aire from Leeds up to Skipton, especially above Keighley, and often wondered if they were coming back as far up as that, though I never heard of any being caught. I hope so, for the upper Aire above Skipton has lots of good spawning beds. There were plenty of grayling above Keighley, especially from the Silsden-Steeton bridge upstream so the water was suitable.

Where I live now, the Burren river, really only a beck, is 100 yards behind the house. It flows into the Shimna half a mile away, where the record Irish sea trout of 16lbs 6oz was caught in 1983. Sadly they're rarer nowadays, though shoals of small ones are regularly seen in the estuary waters. I remember as a teenager in the 1950's when we would regularly get three or four salmon worming after the August floods: all for the pot and shared out among relatives. Aaah! Memories.
Hi mate it's Bingley. The EA stocked it with Barbel about 10 years ago but most ended up in Leeds centre with the floods, rich pickings for the unlicenced. Chub are returning and the Barbel that stayed are averaging 7-8lb. Whilst Trout and Grayling are thriving. The Brownies now go 8lb+. I'm a canal angler but as a member of Bingley Angling Club for the last 15 years thought I'd get more value for money this year as I'm currently furloughed. Coppice pond last weekend, river yesterday, canal Sunday 👍🏻

Our stretch of Wharfe near Boston Spa had the Yorkshire record Barbel for a few years at 16lb+

www.bingleyanglingclub.co.uk

62tucker

Site Supporter
The more that aren’t taken for the table and released. The more will breed for future anglers to enjoy catching. Amazing me when I see them in small streams you can jump over and they travel 4/5 miles Upstream to a pool to breed. But have to wait and the streams mouth till streams in flood to get up. Normally November time

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
5 minutes from home and for some reason I only fish the river once or twice a year as I'm usually sat on the local cut.
I recognise that spot Jonathan. Going under Bingley bypass. Was "up and down" that area many times. You might well have "met" me: at Coppice by archery field; the canal below 5 Rise by Damart was one of my most productive "catching places". I used enjoy the 'catches' under/upstream where the L&L crosses the Aire. Upstream of Nab Wood crem was another good spot. Got you guessing?
;);)