Sea fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan heaphurst

Being a coarse angler all my life a holiday by the sea with no easy freshwater fishing near to gave me only one option, go down to the sea, as someone once said. We were staying in a little village called Porthgain, on the North Pembrokshire coast for a week and finding out it had a tidal harbour, I decided to take one of the pike rods, big reel and some heavy leads. I thought that I would fish from the quay at high tide and see what would eat.

wrdnp2.jpg

The Harbour, nice or what?

First night out with nothing more than a pound of liver for bait nothing came to hand, though, son of Ivan had a bite. However some Welsh lads out for the day took pity on me,and gave me their ragworm and a few sandeels. Anyone ever fished with ragworm, it's a bait with attitude. Imagine a maggot trying to take a bite out of you when you are hooking it, these things do. Anyway I had to wait for the next night for some sport. Fishing with a big pike float and a great lump of lead underneath, the float disappeared at a rate of knots. Striking this brown looking fish comes to hand. A Pollock, I was told, nice one says I, never caught one of those before. Took seven that evening, nothing big enough for the pan but very satisfying, considering that I didn't have much idea what I was doing.

8y6ydi.jpg

This is son of Ivan with a Pollock. I had nothing bigger than this.

There were plenty of people fishing at a place called the quarry over the next headland. Early one morning I set out to find this hotspot.Combining fishing with mountaineering is not something I would recommend, especially if you are of certain vintage, like myself. A scramble took me to a comfy peg, do you call them pegs when fishing the sea, I don't know. Anyway settling down fishing this inlet, at high tide, can't say it looked good to me. First chuck in, straight lump of lead on the bottom,the rod goes over violently. It's on but what is it? This orangy coloured fish comes protesting out of the sea. A Wrasse, I figured, didn't know which kind(cuckoo, I found out back at home), it went OK considering it was just over a pound.Sorry no pictures, I left my camera back at the cottage. Three more Wrasse followed of differing hues, and with three small Pollock made for a good ans satisfying mornings fishing.
Tell you what though, the ****ehawks don't miss a thing. One of the Pollock was a bit dazed when I threw it back. It was only on the top for ten seconds at most, when this gull is down, at my feet, picks up the fish turns it round and head first, down it went in one, no messing.
With no more ragworm and it was a fair hike to get some I borrowed a big fork and went to dig some lugworm in the harbour at low tide. Dug a good few up to fish with last day,Friday. Alas the Gods of fishing were against me. The sea was like the Atlantic, it is the Atlantic, isn't it? anyhow it was blowing hard and great big waves were breaking against the harbour wall. Fished the sheltered side of the breakwater and came up with a Couple of Three Bearded Rocklings, I think. I was getting bites but couldn't see them clearly in the wind, but something was nicking my lugworm.
I know I caught nothing big but for someone with no idea what they were doing at the start of the week, I felt it was quite satisfactory to catch following my fishing instincts.

2v2722b.jpg

Ivan fishing in the gale.

It has wetted my appitite for bit more sea fishing, it is certainly a lot different from hanging over a couple of number eight shot on the canal.

big bream

scott
nice change from maggot drowning [:D] i knows what ya mean about them rag worms had a dabble in mevagissey cornwall some years back its quite a nip they give ya [V] little buggers [:D]

cyril

El blanko
Originally posted by Cookyr

cut the heads of the ragworm if you dont want nipping

stick a baiting needle between there eyes[:D] that works

getfishing

Pete
The best I've managed out of the sea is a cod and a pollock while crabbing, must be the shiny new hook i put on it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.