Scratching the itch..........................

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
After a first visit to Lewden Springs last Friday it piqued my curiosity in as much as it seemed to have a lot going for it and yet it doesn't seem to attract many anglers, so another visit was always going to happen. So this morning after rising at around 8-30am ( One of the joys of retirement ;) ) and a spot of breakfast I loaded the car up and set off on the 10 minute trip to the lake.
Pulling into the car park, there were only 2 other cars there, despite the forecast of a decent day ahead. It was noticeable on my first visit and again today that most people tend to fish either waggler of feeder, I'd used the pole on Friday and that was the plan of attack again today and just two pegs round from where I had fished on Friday.

full

The set up was a carbon copy from Friday and fortunately the plummet revealed no real change in depths, so at 3-4 sections it plumbed up nice and evenly at around 5ft deep, the rig was a 0.4g NG XT cane tip Lake on 0.17 N-Guage with a 16 Kaizen on 0.15 at the business end. The margin plumbed up at around 2 ft taken care of by a 0.3 NG XT Mini Decker also with 0.17 N-Guage with a 16 Kaizan on 0.15. The third rig was an up in the water rig set initially at around 3 feet made up with a 0.3 NG XT cane tipped finesse carbon and yet again 0.17 N-Guage with a 16 Kaizan on 0.15. Hook bait would be corn with 4mm skrettins for feed.

Today I had what breeze there was coming over my back so it was just a question of flicking some 4mm's onto the chosen lines and trying to build a swim. The noticable difference was that there were no signs of fish topping anywhere however and it proved to be a slower start than previously. I'd started out on the depth rig, varying the way I laid the rig in from time to time to see if anything was trying to intercept the single grain of corn on the way down and it finally paid of with couple of small roach getting me off the mark.

Swapping over to the up in the water rig things slowly picked up as it started to produce a better stamp of Roach as the session progressed alongside some smaller Rudd and the occasional skimmer, but alas none of the better Bream that I had found on Friday. Hard to complain though as a succession of nice plump Roach kept coming steadily for the rest of the session.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Just after 4pm the contents of a small tin of corn ran out. :( 87 fish on the clicker, the vast majority of them Roach, a shame that keepnets aren't allowed but I reckon on somewhere between 25-30lbs over the course of what had been another enjoyable session.

A little trip over towards Doncaster tomorrow morning that may or may not be related to angling, but that's for another thread on another day. ;)

tincatim

Site Supporter
Nice one, Peter. Looks like an enjoyable day’s roach fishing. Just looked the venue up and it’s only 7 miles from me, might give it a bash over the summer. Is it not full of carp then?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one, Peter. Looks like an enjoyable day’s roach fishing. Just looked the venue up and it’s only 7 miles from me, might give it a bash over the summer. Is it not full of carp then?
There's Carp in there and indeed there were a few cruising around last Friday. Evidently they lost a lot of fish a couple of years ago due to flooding of the River Dove that flows alongside the lake.
The big problem from what I can see is that the obvious place to target the Carp would be the island margins with a method feeder or similar. However the vegetation on the two islands requires a severe pruning as it now provides a canopy over the margins that protrudes a good six feet out in places making a cast to the island margins all but impossible from the majority of pegs. Stocking in general appears to be pretty mixed but with no F1's present as far as I can ascertain.

tincatim

Site Supporter
There's Carp in there and indeed there were a few cruising around last Friday. Evidently they lost a lot of fish a couple of years ago due to flooding of the River Dove that flows alongside the lake.
The big problem from what I can see is that the obvious place to target the Carp would be the island margins with a method feeder or similar. However the vegetation on the two islands requires a severe pruning as it now provides a canopy over the margins that protrudes a good six feet out in places making a cast to the island margins all but impossible from the majority of pegs. Stocking in general appears to be pretty mixed but with no F1's present as far as I can ascertain.
Those are probably the carp I’ve seen cruising the river Dearne then, if they’ve made it down that far. Looks like a good mixed bag kind of fishery, not dominated by carp and plenty of silvers, my kind of place.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
They should rename that place …. Pensioners paradise. 🤣. It’s time I found you and my dad a job. I don’t know. 🙄.
Nice report Peter. 👍. I hope you covered up and haven’t suffered any effects of the sun ? Been a tad warm hasn’t it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have to say I've enjoyed both my visits Tim. I have just set up to get bites without targeting anything specific and I have to say that having no real idea of the stocking or numbers of fish in there has made for a couple of really enjoyable sessions. :upthumb:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
They should rename that place …. Pensioners paradise. 🤣. It’s time I found you and my dad a job. I don’t know. 🙄.
Nice report Peter. 👍. I hope you covered up and haven’t suffered any effects of the sun ? Been a tad warm hasn’t it.
It was actually quite cloudy this morning Mick and I had some shade from a tree to my left this afternoon.
As for a JOB!!!!!! :eek: Haven't you got some grass to cut???? 😂🤣

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't you worry Peter, I'll keep grafting to pay towards your pension whilst you're swanning about lol

Cracking fish, cracking photos - sounds like a place for a trip out

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It was actually quite cloudy this morning Mick and I had some shade from a tree to my left this afternoon.
As for a JOB!!!!!! :eek: Haven't you got some grass to cut???? 😂🤣
What did you say to my misses when you met her ? I’ve had nothing but grief since. 🤣🤣👍