Scottish Independence

Reuben

Site Supporter
Errrm you've just hit a big stumbling block. They will have to apply to join the EU and as Scotland as nothing to offer the EU In the way of financial support they will find it very hard to get accepted especially as Scotland will not have a currency to deal in.
I dont know were you get the idea of needing a visa to travel freely in EU states. I have been to a number of EU countries since we come out of brexit and I've not needed a visa for any
I’m in Greece now without having to apply for a visa - so having to ‘buy’ one is twaddle. Maybe France & Germany wish that was the case….

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Travelling to and from EU countries for British citizens remains more or less the same. The problems only start if you decide to live and work in an EU country. You MAY need a visa and British qualifications may not be recognized
The qualifications bit you mention seems petty. So if a Doctor from the USA wants to work in say the German health system would US qualifications also be deemed not good enough. To be honest I am not sure what the UK does the other way !. Interesting area this...

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I know of a case where a doctor began studies in India, then came to the UK to finish off and failed to qualify here. (Colleagues said they were useless). So they went back to India, qualified there and returned to work here 'fully qualified' and fully salaried.

me

I’m in Greece now without having to apply for a visa - so having to ‘buy’ one is twaddle. Maybe France & Germany wish that was the case….
I was in Germany in May and never needed a visa. I had my passport on entering and leaving Germany but that was the same as all other EU countries I've visited

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Come May 2023 we might not have to worry about that, given the threats from Russia

Mountain_picnic_blues

The Darling of Wapping Wharf Launderette
Site Supporter
The Führer has announced that there will be a neverendum on October 19th next year....that's if it gets it thru the courts

Reuben

Site Supporter
You’d think she has enough on her plate given the state of the country & certain individuals within her own party - but that’s obsession for you..

Simon R

Site Supporter
So what happens if the referendum actually happens and she loses again?
Third time lucky?

Recently I was working with colleagues in Edinburgh and contrary to what Wee Jimmy Krankie would tell you all those I spoke to really weren't all that bothered one way or the other.
It's a small number of militants making a lot of noise
One of the biggest issues is that nobody has explained quite what's going to fill the financial black-hole that the withdrawal of English funding will create - apparently it won't result in raised taxes.

Simon

George Jones

Site Supporter
I suspect many Scots are frustrated with a lack of representation from our so called democracy in Westminster. Can't say I blame them - I bet lots of normal folk living north of Warford feel the same. This frustration then translates into a desire for independence from the goons in Westminster, and as a result better local representation. Lets face it, whoever the local reps are they could hardly do a worse job atm. Would I vote for similar for Lancashire - not quite the autonomous collective from Monty Python sketch (Holy Grail) but along those lines? I think I might but the reality is it would cost us because we'd lose a big tax cross subsidy from the South. As such any decision for independence (Scotland, Lancs, Wales etc) should ideally be based on a long term vision (economic, social, poliitcal and otherwise) and not short term frustrations or even worse, leaders egos.

JLK

Is it even legal for the Scottish government to hold a referendum?
I'm sure I read that it was against the constitution to do this.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I suspect many Scots are frustrated with a lack of representation from our so called democracy in Westminster. Can't say I blame them - I bet lots of normal folk living north of Warford feel the same. This frustration then translates into a desire for independence from the goons in Westminster, and as a result better local representation. Lets face it, whoever the local reps are they could hardly do a worse job atm. Would I vote for similar for Lancashire - not quite the autonomous collective from Monty Python sketch (Holy Grail) but along those lines? I think I might but the reality is it would cost us because we'd lose a big tax cross subsidy from the South. As such any decision for independence (Scotland, Lancs, Wales etc) should ideally be based on a long term vision (economic, social, poliitcal and otherwise) and not short term frustrations or even worse, leaders egos.
I don’t agree. If ‘many Scot’s’ were bothered about Westminster the SNP would have won the first time. The situation regarding actual decisions that affect Scotland is no worse. In fact I’d say that Westminster’s support during Covid saved Sturgeon’s bacon - even though she can’t actually account for where or how much was actually spent.
You don’t lower the voting age for the referendum to 16 if you’re not trying to force a ’Yes’ vote any way you can - then still lose pretty handsomely either…..

John Step

Site Supporter
I am fairly ambivalent about Scottish independence. It would be a shame though as I have always thought of Scotland as being just another part of the same country. There must be more Scots lineage in England than Scotland judging by the fact that the population up there is only about 6 million. Our populations have mingled and become one?
The amount of news airtime given over to the matter seems disproportionate to the size of the country.
A little like the tail wagging the dog.

Reuben

Site Supporter
If I still lived in England I’d be saying good riddance. However, living in Scotland, I really fail to see how it will benefit Scotland. I get independence if there’s a tangible advantage - but historical hatred isn’t one.
If the SNP we’re running Scotland more efficiently than England I could see the point - they aren’t. Where they will get the money from to replace the funds via the Barnett Formula is a complete mystery.
IF they are accepted into the EU they’ll have to adopt the Euro imo as I can’t see the EU allowing Scotland in ant other way because they won’t be contributing. Sadly the SNP sheeples see none of this & only want to give England the proverbial 2 fingers.
Personally, I think England would be better off without Scotland, Wales & certainly NI. Just my opinion of course.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I love the union jack........its a great flag..one of the best. But what's it going to look like without the blue.
Pretty much red & white. There’s a long way to go before any referendum.

John Step

Site Supporter
I get independence if there’s a tangible advantage - but historical hatred isn’t one.
I have never understood the aspect of historical hatred if it truly exists.
We are actually the same people.
There are Scots in every aspect of life here in England from ex prime ministers to doctors and just about everything else. Where does this come from?
It cannot be a question of invasion and occupation as the Union was voluntary .
Any fighting was at the behest of the rulers hungry for power and the poor old peasants were just thrown into it probably not even knowing why.
As for being ruled from afar, unless you live within a couple of miles of Westminster you are just as remote as Scotland from the centre.
Same as Cornwall ,Yorkshire etc.
Its just something you see on the TV news.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I have never understood the aspect of historical hatred if it truly exists.
We are actually the same people.
There are Scots in every aspect of life here in England from ex prime ministers to doctors and just about everything else. Where does this come from?
It cannot be a question of invasion and occupation as the Union was voluntary .
Any fighting was at the behest of the rulers hungry for power and the poor old peasants were just thrown into it probably not even knowing why.
As for being ruled from afar, unless you live within a couple of miles of Westminster you are just as remote as Scotland from the centre.
Same as Cornwall ,Yorkshire etc.
Its just something you see on the TV news.
It’s not all the Scots. Just the ones who believe everything Sturgeon says. The SNP’s abject failures are mostly laid at the door of Westminster - even the ones that are within Scotland’s devolved powers..

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Independence, Union, No Union, blah blah....you know what there is only one person that determines how well you do in life and that's yourself. If you believe government makes or breaks your life you are sadly mistaken. People like to blame politicians for their own failures as its easier to blame someone else than face up to your own poor life choices. Maybe some Scots really think more power in Holyrood will change their lives....delusional

Mountain_picnic_blues

The Darling of Wapping Wharf Launderette
Site Supporter
I'm sick of it already and it's pencilled in for October next year! When they lose it again they will just shout and throw a tantrum and keep trying until they get the result they want... If they win I can't see me and the wife living here for long after that

Schools are a mess
Roads are a mess
Health service is a mess

They've had 15 years to make a massive difference and only took us backwards

No currency
No army
No NHS
No f****** clue