Scottish coarse angling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

The below infomation was posted on AN by Trent barbeller & i thought it would be wise to copy it onto here.

Dear All,

I have been contacted today by the Fisheries Resource Management Ltd (FRM)who are a Scottish based company based at;

Coillie Bhrochain, Bonskeid Estate, Pitlochry, Perthshire, PH16 5NP.

The FRM have been commissioned by the Scottish Executive Environment and Rural Affairs Department (SEERAD) to conduct the first Scotland wide survey on the diversity and distribution of course fish in Scotland. In the past, Scotland's course fish resources have been overlooked in terms of their importance to the angling community.

Scottish ministers are conscious of the growing interest in angling for course fish in Scotland, both among anglers resident in Scotland and visitors wishing to fish there, and are committed to developing all fishing opportunities. However, this must be done in a way that ensures sustainability.

A survey of course fish in Scotland is timely, as part of a baseline environmental audit and to provide a framework for the sustainable management of these species. Knowledge of the current distribution of course fish will provide a benchmark against which future changes can be measured, particularly as a result of changes in exploitation levels, introductions and climate change.

This six month study will provide a comprehensive overview of course fish diversity, distribution and abundance in Scotland, based on published information and available field survey data, together with information provided by the angling community. The Scottish Federation of Course Anglers, and the Scottish Anglers National Association have lent their support to this project.

The FRM would be grateful if Scottish anglers can contribute to this survey. They are interested in all course fish locations, including those that are not accessable to anglers at present. FRM has developed a simple online form which can be found at their website
www.frmltd.com and will submit your contribution automatically.

Alternatively, you can obtain tick box survey forms which can be completed and returned via Freepost by contacting;

Dr Mark James on Tel No 01796 474 473 or Fax 01796 472856
Email on coursefishsurvey@frmltd.com

Scottish Ministers have now decided on a sustainable future for course fishing in Scottland. As such, I urge all Scottish course anglers to try and take part in this six month survey.

Regards,

Lee.

things are looking up for the scots, lets hope our own goverment take heed & do the same thing.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin
Datafile.gif

BOB

Hi Trogg,agood bit of information,as there is a shortage of coarse fisheries in scotland.[:)][:)]

Bob

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
You're not joking mate

We've spent a bit of time in the north (Embo, inverness area) & we've always said if we win the lottery we'll buy a big house with loads of land & build a coarse fishery up there, with log cabins on the grounds for the anglers.

It'd be a northern version of anglers paradise only we wouldn't have the Koi or other "ornimentals", it would be stocked with proper coarse fish only.

Another thing about this is the fact the Scots anglers stand in unity & are getting something done about their fishing instead of moaning & complaining about it, they are actually making the Scots parliment take notice of them, ain't it a shame the english (& welsh) anglers can't do the same[:(]

Alan

Last edited:

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Yeah it is! It would be nice to have some more coarse Fisheries in Scotland and thats always been my dream to buy some land then build some lakes with only proper coarse fish in them and have my house by the pond side. 1 Day [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
the one thing the goverment can't tax or take away (at the moment anyway) are your dreams Gran , so keep going & one day it might become a reality.

Alan

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with having a fishery as ar north as Inverness is the inclement weather. I used to live there, 25 miles North of Inverness between Bonar Bridge and Alness.

A guy in Rosshsire tried to put coarse fish in a small lake he had but none survived.

Plenty of pike and trout in the lochs though.

mind you Trogg - live in Scotland.

Scotland is a beautiful place, only 4 million things spoil it. I will leave it to you to guess what they are.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Status
Not open for further replies.