Scotland/midges?

John Step

Site Supporter
Just musing during this heat wave and the dire warnings of a red alert for the next couple of days. This coincides with the annual thrips time which invade from the wheaty fields and make the garden unpleasant. Double whammy.

By next year I should have a campervan up and running and have thought it would be nice to get away at short notice in circumstances like this to a more Northerly place near the coast.
I once went to Kilder Water which I know is still England but the midges were intolerable.
I have heard that the Scottish ones are worse.

Question. Is it true that the midges are predominately in the West and not down the East coast?
Any Scottish members who can answer?

FadingLikeDecay

Question. Is it true that the midges are predominately in the West and not down the East coast?
You can get them all over the country, the East is certainly no safe haven.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Pretty much everywhere but more of them in the west.
Bright sunshine or wind over about 8mph puts them down, only the latter of which is common on the west coast.
Luckily I’m one of those people who seem not to get too bothered by them

The Runner

Site Supporter
They like my sleeve though…
E3B40632-7C76-4E5A-9FE3-D76405FAB0EA.jpeg

Simon R

Site Supporter
"Skin so Soft" by Avon is the recommended product to prevent bites.
I'm not sure if it actively repels midges and mosquitos or if it acts as some sort of barrier cream - either way it's effective and it's only four quid a bottle

Simon

Reuben

Site Supporter
Aye, they’re bugger. The formula for Avon Skin So Soft Original & it’s replacement Woodland Fresh has changed & the Canadian Army is no longer using it as general issue. I now use Smidge which I find works just as well for flying pests including mosquitoes. I get mine from Amazon.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
The beaches and scenery on the West coast are beautiful (if the weather stays fine) but the midges are a pain. Mainly in the early morning and evenings we found them to be a problem. I believe the East side of the country is a lot more midge free. We made the mistake of getting out of the car to excercise the dogs at the layby at the top of Rannoch moor at 5am and we were still finding the damn things crawling on us fifty miles past Fort William.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I spent 12 years working in very rural Northumberland not a million miles away from Kielder water and the midges and Cleggs (horsefly's to the uneducated) could be a nightmare in the summer, we all used to use Jungle Formula insect repellent which seemed to do the trick most days