Scools Open. Really?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
With a senior school, sorry Science College, at the top of the road we would normally see a stream of children morning and afternoon during term time. Today we have seen only one or two sixth formers.

Anyone know why a school has not opened today. Please don't tell me the teachers needed a training day or an extra day to prepare.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Some pupils are going back parttime that could be the reason,.
Ive been out by the volume of traffic i think the lockdowns over

Simon R

Site Supporter
Secondary school near me has reopened - lots of purple blazers streaming down the road earlier.
Next door's kids have returned to primary school too
Can't comment on any others

Simon

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Some secondary schools are taking up to a week to get back up to speed. Our local one is Covid testing two year groups per day (starting with the older pupils) and if clear they restart school the next day. The pupils go in for the test, stay for the results then go straight home, so they're only there for 30-45 minutes.

So no teaching on site today, but should start seeing pupils tomorrow (while the next 2 years are tested) and so on. Should be fully up to speed by Thursday/Friday.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just got in from my first day back. I imagine they are doing the same as more or less every secondary school in the country, who has to test 1000+ students.

So what @spanky said. The last thing we want to do is get everyone in and take them out of lessons for their tests, to find out that Child No.23 tests positive and therefore we start off by about 40 kids (that was the average number in the Autumn Term per positive case) having to self isolate for 10 days. We are back to the full school for Thursday, bigger schools might be Monday next week.

Keith Sparky

With a senior school, sorry Science College, at the top of the road we would normally see a stream of children morning and afternoon during term time. Today we have seen only one or two sixth formers.

Anyone know why a school has not opened today. Please don't tell me the teachers needed a training day or an extra day to prepare.
My daughter is a teacher and has been in work every day during the pandemic either with key worker children or setting home working tasks and most days has been in for 8 home at 6 and continuing working at home in the evenings and weekends. She has followed up a number of vulnerable children cases that should have been in school but were not with social care colleagues. During this time her head , deputy and teaching assistant have all been ill with covid and working with small children there is no social distancing or PPE ..... She is exhausted but cares so much for her pupils that she makes me hugely proud. Your comment is cheap and ill informed.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Lateral flow tests for all kids before they go back.

Took my little cherub in for hers this morning, she goes back tomorrow and has 2 more tests at school this week, score we are equipped with test packs to test her at home twice a week

Can’t say the prospect of sticking a cotton bud up her nose fills me with much joy to be honest.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My daughter is a teacher and has been in work every day during the pandemic either with key worker children or setting home working tasks and most days has been in for 8 home at 6 and continuing working at home in the evenings and weekends. She has followed up a number of vulnerable children cases that should have been in school but were not with social care colleagues. During this time her head , deputy and teaching assistant have all been ill with covid and working with small children there is no social distancing or PPE ..... She is exhausted but cares so much for her pupils that she makes me hugely proud. Your comment is cheap and ill informed.
My apologies, blame it on my ignorance.

Maverick

Site Supporter
I did the school run this morning and this afternoon. My 7yr old Grandaughter was a little nervous this morning but really looking forward to seeing all her friends again. When I picked her up she said she had, had a good day. Its exactly what the kids and Mums need after such a long period of home learning. :hello:

Chervil

Site Supporter
We were back in today. Our students are normally only in 3 days a week and our Level 3s are still working from home one day a week, so there is enough classroom space to social distance.
We took our classes over one at a time for testing, so by Thursday the whole site will have been done twice. They don't just come in for test, but stay and do normal lessons.
Staff got tested at the same time as their class (but not me as, it seems you can't have a lateral flow test for 90 days after a positive test).

After this week they will carry out the tests at home.

I must admit, I very impressed by the way the college has dealt with covid

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
My youngest is also a teacher and has been in school all the time looking after pupils from essential services mostly with a class size of about 12/15.
Today she had a further 10 added and her comment when she came home just "They were a bit rowdy and would not pay attention disrupting all the good work that had gone before"
She is sure they will settle down once they get back into the routine again.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
My son , who is in his last year of sixth form had to go in for two COVID tests last week. One on Monday and another on Friday. He went back to school today, but wouldn’t have been able to, if he had failed last weeks tests.
They also have to do weekly tests here at home.