Schoolboys 'Record' Roach

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
His family don't fish otherwise they would have said "straight arms, add a couple of pounds"

Whatever it weighs, it looks good.

tincatim

It doesn’t look like a pure roach to me, neither does it look 4lb. For comparison below is Daniel Woollcott’s 4lb 2oz roach from his record breaking brace.

3BDE3B82-BEC0-4C95-919D-B605DC36D017.jpeg

D284ECB8-F153-4B38-816E-AB67B36A44D8.jpeg

It’s hard to tell from photos but the second one looks much bigger to me.

Even if it’s not the record, it’s still a great fish to catch for the lad.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It's definitely a nice fish. It's not often that a silver of that size is caught. But when you compare it the fish of Daniel Woolcott, you can tell it's probably not a pure roach. But we shall never truly know, and if the venue in question get a few extra bookings off the back of this fish, then good luck to them

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Any fish gracing the AT automatically gains 2lb or more -some carp up to 6lb more, must part of their T&C when submitting a picture.
Also in the AT every rod,pole, reel, product tested never scores under 8/10
When you see the reviews in the AT, what they don't tell you, is that they have been paid to review the item of tackle. But often, they back up the printed review with a film on YouTube, and on there, they legally have to declare that it features a paid promotion.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Any fish gracing the AT automatically gains 2lb or more -some carp up to 6lb more, must part of their T&C when submitting a picture.
Also in the AT every rod,pole, reel, product tested never scores under 8/10
That is libellous and completely untrue - I worked there for years. On one occasion the newsdesk refused to believe ther weight of a pike because it looked so small in the angler's hands,, so I went and interviewed the angler, who turned out to be about 6 ft 6 in with huge hands...and the news desk still didn;t believe it!

Frankly I think that fish could weigh 4 lb, whatever it is. Only a scale count would decide that. Anyone who has caught a big roach knows that they weigh probabably heavier for their size than any other species.

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
That is libellous and completely untrue - I worked there for years. On one occasion the newsdesk refused to believe ther weight of a pike because it looked so small in the angler's hands,, so I went and interviewed the angler, who turned out to be about 6 ft 6 in with huge hands...and the news desk still didn;t believe it!

Frankly I think that fish could weigh 4 lb, whatever it is. Only a scale count would decide that. Anyone who has caught a big roach knows that they weigh probabably heavier for their size than any other species.
The report doesn't claim that its a "4lb Roach"...

The report claims that it's a record shattering 4lb8oz Roach, from the picture it's not just debatable - it's outright satire.

...coming from the AT, that Roach looks a solid 2lb short of 4lb 8oz, so @rudd is probably bang on the money, it's not libel if it's true ;)

bryan white

Site Supporter
Don’t know exactly why I’m drawn to his left arm that’s straight, but his fingers are in a strange place in comparison

StuH

Site Supporter
Weight is too hard to say as I posted earlier, if I was betting on it I'd say it's nothing like the claimed weight but photos lie. What I am sure about is that it's not pure roach.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter

Calm down sunny jim, it’s a tongue in cheek comment 😉

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
The report doesn't claim that its a "4lb Roach"...

The report claims that it's a record shattering 4lb8oz Roach, from the picture it's not just debatable - it's outright satire.

...coming from the AT, that Roach looks a solid 2lb short of 4lb 8oz, so @rudd is probably bang on the money, it's not libel if it's true ;)
Oddly I fished twice last week and caught what I think was the same 2lb Roach/Bream hybrid in both outings.
The excitement of a 2lb Roach in the net turns into disappointment very quickly!

Robwooly

Its funny how some think the weight is the issue whereas some think it's not a true roach, it shows how even a clear full photo can deceive as we can't all be right. I'm thinking it's more likely a true roach than a fish over 4lb. I get some weird looking ones on the canals near me, many roach only fill out to that classic roach shape we all know and love if they have a bit of depth to play with, shallow rivers, canals and ponds that are around 3ft or less tend to produce elongated fish.

It's still a cracking fish regardless and maybe the headline is a bit clickbaity, perhaps the AT knew that the fish is borderline and would get a lot of interest, if so they are spot on as this thread has run to multiple pages, so mission achieved for the magazine. and they say print is dead lol

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Well angled, hope he was made up too, but wouldn't count i'm afraid, probably full of boilies and from a commercial i suspect. Half the age of a river one that has eked out an existence for probably three times longer to get to that size.