Scam.

davylad

Site Supporter
I got a text today informing me my son had changed his mobile number, and a new number was given to replace the old one. Nothing unusual about that, it happens quite frequently. I got another text supposedly from him telling me he'd lost all his files, after water ingress on his old phone. You guessed it, I then got another text saying he needed a couple of bills paying, as his online banking would take a day or two to set up, and would I pay them for him. A quick phone call to him, and he knew nothing at all about it. As scams go it would have been easy to fall for it, for anyone not on the ball. I would like to know how the scammer has got our contacts info, or maybe someone has lost a phone with our contacts on.
I was thinking about going ahead with how they wanted paying, say maybe a bank number, together with phone number and pass it on to the cyber crime dept, but just binned it and blocked the number.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The scammers are getting more sophisticated and it amazes me how many otherwise intelligent and tech savvy people fall for them. My sister had one she thought was a scam, gave them her bank details, then realised what she'd done, so cancelled all her cards, then later realised it was legitimate.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My missus got the same a while back supposedly from one of our daughters. Had she got access to online banking I reckon she would have gone along with it as she was that convinced by it. However she told them they'd have to wait until I got home, luckily

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
There are several websites that describe scams and detail new ones.
Experian have a site:

It is not often I scan a QR code but this really puts me off them:
  • QR codes: QR codes have gained popularity as a touchless option to do things like read a restaurant menu or make a payment during the pandemic. However, scammers place their QR codes in inconspicuous spots, and scanning the code could prompt you to make a small purchase or enter your credentials on a look-alike website.