scalded maggots and gozzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

are scalded maggots used as a feed on commercial fisheries in matches and if so does anyone flavour them and how.also does anyone still breed their own hook maggots. been away from the match scene for awhile, i used to breed my own gozzers and the difference in bites was very noticable. just wondered if anyone still bothered.

strat2

gozzers that is an australian term lol.

i wouldnt feed dead maggot or use it on anything other than a method

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by strat2

gozzers that is an australian term lol.

Shows how little you know[:p]
A gozzer is a home produced maggot (usually bred on a sheeps heart) which is generally a little larger than a standard maggot and a lot softer.

Can be deadly for shy bream and roach.
Everyone fishing the big matches on the Welland and Witham in the seventies would have a few home-produced gozzers (or possibly sour-bran specials[;)]) together with anattos and squatts.

I haven't bred any for years but the way the bream fishing is going on the Tees at the moment, I might have to start getting the biscuit tins, sawdust and bran out again[;)]

Simon

Don

Simons covered the Gozzers so I'll have a go at your maggots lol, dont scald them if you want to flavour them instead put some flavouring in a freezer bag then put in your maggots after you have riddled all the sawdust and dead skins etc off them. Tie the bag tightly and place in a freezer for a couple of days and you will be left with soft flavoured maggots which you can use for feeding or as hookbaits. Take a look at Archie Braddocks book "Fantastic Feeder Fishing" or check his website out as he is the dead maggot "king" IMHO. Scalded maggots are fine but they always seem a little rubbery to me to be honest.

Matches nowadays are fished with Pellets,Paste and Cat Meat to name but a few of the changes in bait you will see when you get back into the match scene!

Status
Not open for further replies.