Saving prepared Expanders

Tennis Elbow

I over estimated the need for expanders today ( blew a gale!) and have 4+6 mm pellets sat in small screw top pots. They have all been sat in Dynamite Scopex since preparation 24 hours ago.

Will they keep in the fridge and for roughly how long?

Cheers

Total

Site Supporter
Sonubaits pro’s. ( Very good they are too!)
They'll keep in the fridge in water for a week ok.....Any longer than that freeze them.....You can freeze and thaw them approximately three times before I'd throw them away.....But please be aware they will get softer and not be quite so firm after each time you freeze and thaw them...

Last edited:

Tennis Elbow

@Tennis Elbow ....What make of expanders are they?.....(Dynamite, Sonubaits Pro Expanders etc)
Sonubaits pro’s. ( Very good they are too!
They'll keep in the fridge in water for a week ok.....Any longer than that freeze them.....You can freeze and thaw them approximately three times before I'd throw them away.....But please be aware they will softer and not quite so firm after each time you freeze and thaw them...
I assume that just dilutes the scopex and away we go? I doubt I’ll freeze them but there will be ample for next weeks session, so saves me a job and saves wasting bait.

Thanks for your advice!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve kept leftover Sonu Pro Expanders in their screwtop in the fridge for a week or two previously and they are fine, I like to dip them in Sonu bait booster when on the hook rather than soaking them in additive but I doubt it makes a difference.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Curious, I've never been able to keep expanders for longer than 24h. They've always gone soft and broken up when I put them on the hook. Mind, these are Ringers (pumped), maybe that means all the difference?

Tennis Elbow

Curious, I've never been able to keep expanders for longer than 24h. They've always gone soft and broken up when I put them on the hook. Mind, these are Ringers (pumped), maybe that means all the difference?

I have one of the Vacu Vin ( Maggotdrowners pump) which I find redundant now that the Sonubaits Expanders are available. They have held together extremely well and as a result of my original question they sit in scopex in my fishing fridge ready for next week. I checked yesterday and they look and feel like the day I produced them!

Time will tell, but the advice given so far has proved spot on!

Thanks all

Gomez1958

Pumping them pressures the water through the pellet to make them sink, I had the same trouble when I used to do then that way, I now only use Sonubaits expanders, watch the youtube video by Des Shipp on preparation using ice cold water, excellent outcome 👍

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
That was
Pumping them pressures the water through the pellet to make them sink, I had the same trouble when I used to do then that way, I now only use Sonubaits expanders, watch the youtube video by Des Shipp on preparation using ice cold water, excellent outcome 👍
That was my initial thought upon reading this post, however I prefer my Ringers over Sonubaits expanders so I'll stick to what I know regardless, a pity however as it'd be nice to freeze some up.

Tennis Elbow

Its amazing how few expanders you actually need, 1 packet will last forever
Yes we always over estimate. Went last week mixed up 6 lots of expanders, two sizes 3 colours, 4.5 pint measure of dry ground bait and 2 pints of hemp on top of the normal micros chopped worms and dead maggots.

4 tangerine balls of ground bait/ dead maggot/ chopped worm and caught all day long in two snow storms using 1/4 pint of live maggots at 11 m.

Bream, skimmers , roach and rudd .

The margin carp must have loved it after I departed. The ground bait mix went in the bushes though!

markyboy

Site Supporter
I find if you freeze the sonu expanders after use when they defrost they are a bit more rubbery so can be used on rod and line as well as pole.