Sat Navs

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitespringsboy

do you use them and have you ever got lost or stuck with them

i ask this because in my local village there's a country lane that's really narrow, its an old roman road, in the bottom of the valley there's a ford which hasn't seen a car pass it in more than twenty years

obviously tractors and extreme off road 4x4 can pass but not a standard car

over the last 14 months more and more sat nav guided vehicles have been guided down this lane and getting stuck in the mud track lane at the very bottom

has anyone else ever been stuck because of this modern technology

read press story here

Last edited:

pegasus

benny
buy a map book they are cheaper scum dont want to pinch em and they never send you in the wrong direction

Mark274

Cowboy
You do need a bit of common sense with sat nav.

If it says turn left and you are next to a railway track it doesn't mean turn onto track it means turn left on next bit of available road.

Pegasus
Some of the idiots following sat nav blindly would do the same if they used a map book [8)][:eek:)]

Mark

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2007/1/18/225289.html

Some people are so stupid, they really shouldn't be allowed out on their own..........

And in answer to the original question, this is a village near me, that has been turned into a rat run by sat nav's.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/08/satnav_menaces_somerset_village/

Last edited:

Benji

Account Locked
Map book, then make notes onto post it notes, stick on steering wheel, no problem, no annoying voice blathering on, about turn around when possible. And why do people require them stuck to there windscreens for every journey they do, they leave home to go to their place of work, they have been going to for years and still they have it on. Ban them.

Paul_D

Why on earth ban them? Banning Post It notes from cars would be more sensible....

pegasus

benny
[:D][:D]one of my neighbours tswitches his on in the morning before he sets off to work it makes me laugh cos he`s been driving to the same factory for 20 years.[:D]

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
Never had a problem with mine and I use it as my handsfree for the mobile phone. Maps are no good if there is an accident up ahead as they give you no notice which a sat nav will do and it will get you off the carriageway well before the incident is visible.

stevieb

Shakin
Site Supporter
I also think they should be banned..... IMHO they are just as dangerous as using a mobile phone whilst driving. I have been numerous times driving behind someone who is weaving all over the road, I'm thinking what the hell are they playing at.... when I suddenly spot they are trying to read a map on tha sat nav as they are driving!!!
Steve

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I think unless youre a rep or someone doing lots of new journeys i'm struggling to see why youd want one tbh.

Agree with point about traffic and think some also have speed camera information on?, but if your local driving then youll know the camera hot spots etc...

Local radio covers the traffic?

I wanted one for 'gadget' value but then thought about it and couldnt see one journey in last year i'd need it for....even going on uk holidays you can get within 5 miles of anywhere i'd guess.

Plus with sat nav dont you have to get post code to be in with better chance of getting there?

Benji

Account Locked
Originally posted by stevieb

I also think they should be banned..... IMHO they are just as dangerous as using a mobile phone whilst driving. I have been numerous times driving behind someone who is weaving all over the road, I'm thinking what the hell are they playing at.... when I suddenly spot they are trying to read a map on tha sat nav as they are driving!!!
Steve

Thanks Stevie exactly one of the reasons, not to mention the other one of the people who insist on setting a route whilst driving. Then there is the blind spot creation, you see people stick them in the silliest places, places that if you had a stone chip there your car would fail its mot no questions.

Mine is in the center of the windscreen as low as possible. I use it for work for finding new shops, some of the shops out in the sticks at fisheries are a nightmare to find, with a satnav it is very easy. It has cut down my travelling time and fuel consumption, would not be without one now. I have 250+ tackle shops on my area, can't remember all the locations, its my age !!

Isaak

alter Freund
I got one as part of a Palm Computer with an extremely bossy woman who keeps sending me the wrong way. The trouble is that I argue with it and get quite abusive[:D][:D][:D]
Only use it if I am going somewhere new and I am not sure exactly where it is I am going.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sat Navs are for those who do not have the ablity to read

maps

<Eddited by Norm>

Maps are fine, but the temptation is to have a look when you are driving. Still take my maps with me. Its ok if you are only travelling a few miles, I can do 1000+ per week.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Geoff P

Sat Navs are for those who do not have the ablity to read

maps

<Eddited by Norm>

Now I know norm can spell and would have spelt the underlined part coretcyl curretcly right

Status
Not open for further replies.