Sat Nav Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

darfyjnr

Hi there does anyone know of anyone around Leeds/ Bradford who can loon at a Tom Tom XL. It wont boot up and I have tried reseting etc. The screen comes on but there is a red cross on the SD card. Apparently this is a farily common problem and is known as the "dreaded red cross". Any help would be appreciated.

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
I've heard that this "Dreaded Red Cross" is a sneaky sat-nav virus created by Collins, the map-makers.

Apparently the only way to get rid of this virus is to buy an up-to-date road Atlas, roll it up into a tube and treat your expensive piece of electronic trickery to some good old-fashioned "percussive maintenance"

Then wind your car window down, say bye-bye to Tom-Tom and use the Atlas to get wherever you're going.

Problem solved! [:D]

Last edited:

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Oh FFS Len get serious will you!!!!! The lad has asked a serious question and you answer it in such an irresponsible way. How would you like it if you were out for a stroll and a bleedin' great titsup Tom Tom hit you on the napper? Wait till you get home, stop a few meters from the drive, place Tom Tom under front wheel and run the peice of rubbish over. Sorted.[;)]

Last edited:

nomorelongwalks

Mark Spitz
Site Supporter
Grow up the pair of yer,the man is obviously in trouble and has come on here for help.

Throw out the Tom-Tom,use AA route planner print off at work(saves on copying paper [;)])then Get SWMBO to read directions.

When SWMBO gets it wrong,which she will(women cant read directions [:0][;)]) throw out SWMBO [;)][:p][:D][:D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
ROFLMAO - A Postie giving advice on directions and route planning [:D]

Seriously, if the SatNav is giving you trouble, wrap it, pack it and post it. It'll never be seen again, problem solved [8D][:p]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
If this is a known virus for Tiom Tom (or all satnavs) then I.m sure the Tm Tom website should have a fix. Would it just be a case of connecting your kit up to your computer and downloading the fix?

b-uster175

If you know someone else with a tom tom delete all the info off your card copy the info off there card then paste it to yours. It happened to me a few weeks ago when my g/f dropped it and the card came out it then it wouldn't read the card and came up with the red cross i did the above with my brothers card and it works fine.If it doesn't work you've not really lost anything.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)]Sounds like the card is either damaged or corrupt,if you have backed your tom tom up on your PC, get another card and copy the information to the new card from the back up.[:T]

shootinfishin

Better than slappy
Originally posted by Dave

Seriously, if the SatNav is giving you trouble, wrap it, pack it and post it. It'll never be seen again, problem solved [8D][:p]

Or leave it in an unlocked vehicle.........[:W][;)]

nomorelongwalks

Mark Spitz
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave

Oi!!!!!!!!! low blow

Truthful

But still,a low blow PMSL [:D]

Oh,and i am not a POSTIE [:D]

Red Spike

take it back to Halfords................

if you can find Halfords without it that is!!![:p][:p][:D][:D]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Hi jacking the post somewhat, but ...

My Audi came with a built in DVD satnav four years ago, and very nice it was too.
It's DVD driven, and the DVD version is 2005.

Five years on, and it's out of date. It's pretty obvious where I am most of the time, but it's annoying when one way streets change direction.

So at the last service, I asked them to slap a new DVD in.
They warned me that a DVD disk would be more than 230 ! [:0][:(!]

I've looked for a (ahem) cheaper replacement, but no luck.

How many Tom Toms could I get for that price?

Status
Not open for further replies.