Same lake, same method, not one bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

I returned yesterday to the scene of my triumphant victory over the crucians last monday. I took an extra quiver rod this time. I set up, plumbed the depth and fished next to a patch of water lillies. I fished the same float, same bait, same groundbait, hook and breaking strain hook length. The only difference was a different swim. The quiver I first sent out with luncheon meat, then sweetcorn, then swimfeeder with maggot, then swimfeeder with worm. All over a bed of hempseed and hook bait samples. Do you know - I didn't even get one bite!!! icon_smile_blackeye.gificon_smile_blackeye.gif crybaby2.gif crybaby2.gif
Not one touch on the float, not one tap on the quiver. There was a match being fished on the same lake and everybody was complaining of not catching anything. Locals saying they hadn't seen anything like it.
What possible reasons could there be? The fish were moving alright, I could see the carp in front of me, feeding bubbles all around my float, and fish rising and jumping, but not even a nibble.
I was fishing a double maggot on the bottom - surely enough to warrant even a little look.
I just saw a program on Discovery channel that said that fish feed frantically in the build up to a thunderstorm. Could atmospheric pressure have had an effect? The weather's been a bit dull and drizzly lately, but nothing outrageous.
My new found confidence has taken a serious knock. Until tomorrow evening, when I shall wreak my revenge tenfold.

DJ.gif

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Did you try shallowing up. Fishing up in the water. Always worth a go I find if nothing is happening on the bottom.

Set your float so the bait drops slowly through the water, then if you get a take as the float is settling you know the fish are up off the bottom.

Better luck tomorrow.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Oh the joys of fishing !!!! Yes fish do respond to changes in weather, air pressure and temperature. Just a small change is enough a drop of 1 - 2 deg. can put them off feeding. The advice Geoff gives is good. The last time I was out the tench were fizzing like mad so I fed g/bait hemp and chopped meat made sure it was topped up well and sat back recasting the feeder. Result nothing tench still fizzing. Changed to a leger and the bobbin wouldnt stay still line bites knocks etc. Eventually 6 positive takes and 3 tench landed best approx 3 1/2 lb. All I can put this down to was the spalsh of the feeder putting them off.

The previous days fishing is always a good place to start but be prepared to change baits and experiment.

chill out go fishing

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ain't fishing great!!!!!!!!!!
Beebs,Crucians are one of the most frustrating fish which is what makes them such a challenge.One day they appear to want anything that you can throw at them........The next you would swear that there isn't a single one present.
One trick (assuming you don't have a pole)is to set up a pole rig on your float rod,it will allow you much finer presentation than normal float tackle.Dot it right down and strike at the slightest indication.
They really can be the most delicate of feeders on somedays and as bold as brass on others.Easy it isn't,but very rewarding when it all comes together.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Beebs

I tried fishing all depths and various weighted floats. I would have expected a little perch or something to show, but I didn't even get a sucked maggot skin. I think the bubbles were the fish talking and laughing at me. "Look at that dick, sitting there all day throwing in all that nice food, we'll wait for him to naff off home and move in and hoover it all up!!!"
I'm going to fish a different lake tonite, but the crucians will pay another time for their insubordination. "I'll be back!" I believe Arnie would say. cursing2.gif cursing2.gif cursing2.gif DJ.gif

darryl

it happens to all of us ,especially with crucians one tip is to watch the surface water around the float if a slite ripple apears strike para.gif

work`s for them who can`t fish

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Yup bleebs. That is why they call it "fishing" rather than "catching".

The trick is always to figure out what they want instead of what they wanted before or what you want to give em. Or maybe they want the same thing but in a different place. Or sometimes they just go on a hunger strike and won't take anything at all.

Some fun. I think it is what keeps us going back year after year.

I went yesterday for a half-day with lures. 2 bass wanted a red worm fished slowly on the bottom in 4 feet of water. And at about the same time. As far as I can tell, the other few million in the lake just weren't having that or anything else I thought to try. But I kept believing if I could get to where and give them what, I would start catching again. Didn't but had lots of fun trying it.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.