Sad day

SeanB

Site Supporter
Earlier today in a park a few minutes away, the body of a 17 boy was found. It seems that he had taken his own life. My daughter knew him, not as well as some of her friends, but is now crying and really distraught.
I'm sharing this because she is not just upset about this boys tragic passing but because she says she feels guilty and selfish that it could have been her. When she was 12, she was bullied badly at school and it wasn't dealt with. Her mental health deteriorated, she began to self harm and eventually attempted suicide on more than one occasion.
It's taken 5 years of struggle and fighting and we are starting to get her back on track but it could so easily have ended differently.
I know I have never met most of the members of the site but I would ask, beg even, that if you are worried or have any concerns about anyone you know that might be in need of help, please talk to them. It doesn't have to be a deep conversation, a quick chat or share a joke, anything that can make them feel a little less alone could save a life.

Not all heroes wear a Cape, some wear a bait apron 👍

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
You are right Sean , it is always sad when a young person feels they have no other option but to take their own life ! Of course I would also encourage anyone who thinks someone is having a bad time to talk to them and even more important to listen to them. That said I would also appeal to anyone who thinks their own child might be taking part in the bullying to talk to them as well. We all like to think our kids wouldn't do it, but someone's kids are !

SeanB

Site Supporter
Your absolutely right Kevin. Part of the problem we had was that the school was fully aware and did nothing, often they sided with the bully. All they did was drag us to a child protection conference (bearing in mind that I was a child protection social worker at the time) then illegally remove her from the school role. They refused to complete an education and health care plan because "it means writing it all down" meaning that as well as forcing us to try and provide her with an education privately we weren't eligible for any funding or support.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Sean i wish you and your Clan all the best mate and if anything in my life could make anyone suffering mental health better they could have it in a heartbeat. Ive seen Very good Mates take their own lives and cannot begin to think about what they were going through. Bullying no matter at what age is WRONG and i hate Bullies and dont give a toss how big or hard they think they are they are the weakest of the weak. Ive said it before on here if any of yers want a ear to bend PM me.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Thanks mate, really appreciate that 👍
I didn't mean to sound like a pity party but once I start I just get angry again. The thing I wanted to say was just for us all to be that little bit more mindful of others,a little gesture or just asking "are you OK?" might just prevent a lot of heartache and grief.