Sad day today 😔

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I’ve just been in to Mitre Tackle in York before it closes it’s doors for the last time tomorrow. Adele and Pete have been absolutely brilliant- tackle, top tips and banter- and while I’ll be sad not to see so much of them, I’m excited for a new season of life for them.

As an aside, I was genuinely shocked to hear Del say to me recently that almost nobody ever says please or thank you when they come into the shop and how demanding and/or entitled a certain subsection of the angling public can be 😳

While I’m sure that none of us on MD are cantankerous or entitled, can I propose a “thank your local tackle shop proprietor” day if you happen to be visiting one tomorrow? I think they’d probably appreciate it more than you’d imagine. And if you can, why not give them a little treat (chocolates or a bottle of wine) while you’re at it? Even just a card...?

Cheers Pete and Del and all the best for the future ❤️

62tucker

Site Supporter
Overheard in my local tackle shop yesterday the owner saying that the big 2 companies cannot keep going and 1 will fail. 🤷‍♂️. He said one of them. Fishing republic I think had parked a van in angling direct car park and was trying to pinch punters. Or maybe it was the other way around.
Must be hard for local shop when a go outdoors and angling direct have opened within 5 miles in the last year.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I much prefer my local tackle shop and use it when I can, which I have been doing now since 1992. I hope to continue to do so, as the owners and staff are a great bunch of guys. Other local shops have closed in recent years, but this one has kept going for obvious reasons. While I do buy regularly from Bob Co, I tend to use AD and Fishing Republic as a last resort these days.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
At the moment in Oxford I suppose it's lucky in a way that there is no angling direct and go outdoors has stopped doing fishing tackle .
There are 3 decent shops in the area ,
Top Tackle , Ace Tackle and States Tackle . The latter is about 25 minutes from me , Ace Tackle around 15 minutes Both are like Aladdin's caves . Top Tackle is around 10 minutes .
I support all three depending on what venue I am going to , always call in and spend around £20 " for the pint of maggots" I originally went in for .
All 3 give great service and advice .

MarkW

At the moment in Oxford I suppose it's lucky in a way that there is no angling direct and go outdoors has stopped doing fishing tackle .
There are 3 decent shops in the area ,
Top Tackle, Ace Tackle and States Tackle . The latter is about 25 minutes from me , Ace Tackle around 15 minutes Both are like Aladdin's caves . Top Tackle is around 10 minutes.
I support all three depending on what venue I am going to, always call in and spend around £20 " for the pint of maggots" I originally went in for.
All 3 give great service and advice.
Over many years I used a few tackle shops actually in Oxford, only one of those I've used is still around - Top Tackle (formerly Fat Phil's), in no particular order, Venable's, Arthur Smith, Fred Taylor (later Isis Tackle), North Oxford Tackle (Steve Johnson), Dells, and the one that started it all, Waltonian Tackle.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I used to love the banter in Terry Dormans tiny shop in Radford.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
My local shop gets a treat if I use them and charge over the odds for the pleasure, buy them a present 🤣

Cobweb

Site Supporter
My local shop gets a treat if I use them and charge over the odds for the pleasure, buy them a present 🤣
Can't say that I have experienced that with my guys at Maidstone Angling - I usually get a good deal for stuff like rods, and barrows. As a course angler, I'd not be able to find a local tackle shop that offers such a good choice across my range of needs, but what really makes it worthwhile to visit a local tackle shop is the knowledge base of local venues, and general advice across all angling disciplines

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I only send for fishing items if I can't get them from a local tackle shop - mainly floats from Benwick Sports. I have always bought big stuff from shops - jackets, rods, poles etc etc. I greatly value my local tackle shops and will not, ever, buy stuff elsewhere if they can supply it. I have never dealt with the big cut-price stores (except that I once went with a mate to Angling Direct and bought a carp mat). So it wouldn't bother me at all if the big stores closed for ever. If I can't afford to pay the tackle shop price I'll go without!

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Always stop for a coffee and a chat with Mel at Reel Fishing in Bridgend. Poor Keith the owner is hard at work whilst his mrs is chin wagging with this idiot about all sorts of paff. Always get them an Xmas card and choccies though, l always get a good deal on larger more expensive items. 👍

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Use my local Tackle shop Melton Angling a lot, had my Matrix seatbox, reels etc from there. Good bunch in there, very helpful if you have any questions.
Bit further afield is X Sport / Tackle Direct Beaumont Leys Leicester and Future Fishing in Farndon.

I'll search their websites if I am after a particular manufacturers product and if no joy then I go online, Few favourites Benwick Sports, Bobco, Banks & Burr in Rugby and AD,

Talking about saying please and thank you, when I worked in a pub on the rare occasions the Landlady worked behind the bar, she would serve someone and say 'sorry I didn't catch that ?' Usually the customer would say 'nothing else.' she would reply 'Oh for a minute there I could have sworn you said thank you !' Usually elicited a sheepish response. :D I make a point of saying please & thank you to anyone that serves me, having been the other side of the counter/bar it is appreciated.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Use my local Tackle shop Melton Angling a lot, had my Matrix seatbox, reels etc from there. Good bunch in there, very helpful if you have any questions.
Bit further afield is X Sport / Tackle Direct Beaumont Leys Leicester and Future Fishing in Farndon.

I'll search their websites if I am after a particular manufacturers product and if no joy then I go online, Few favourites Benwick Sports, Bobco, Banks & Burr in Rugby and AD,

Talking about saying please and thank you, when I worked in a pub on the rare occasions the Landlady worked behind the bar, she would serve someone and say 'sorry I didn't catch that ?' Usually the customer would say 'nothing else.' she would reply 'Oh for a minute there I could have sworn you said thank you !' Usually elicited a sheepish response. :D I make a point of saying please & thank you to anyone that serves me, having been the other side of the counter/bar it is appreciated.
Me too 8 years working behind a bar! learned early in the 70s what the meaning of "put a head on it" meant. How anyone paid for mild or mild and bitter I never understood;)

Don’tTellEmYourName

Site Supporter
Unfortunately I’d be a bit stuffed if it wasn’t for the big online stores as my nearest tackle shop is a 50 mile round trip. That’s a gallon of petrol plus parking charges. That said, recently bought a reel from North Notts Tackle online which I wouldn’t describe as one of the large outfits. They were very quick at sending reel out.

Edit: actually probably more like a gallon and a half in my old heap.

Last edited:

Rich123

Sadly guys it's a vicious circle, and while we would all love a local tackle shop on our doorstep, these people have to make a living in a very tough environment. I buy 99% online now, and buy at the best prices. So I'm no help to these local shops, but we don't have a local shop anyway in my area? Two new tackle shops opened in Grantham over the past 5 years, both failed, losing the owners money.

davvo

Site Supporter
Only an hour or so from York A.D have opened a store which will have an effect on local tackle shops, once people start seeing cheaper prices. Hopefully though, my local shop might not be hit too hard as he's been matching A.D's prices for some time now.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
I think one of the most gutting things must be when customers come in and waggle a rod or whatever and then push off and order it online or go to a big shop like an AD.
Keith will price match, if you show him an online price for a new item he will match it for his regulars.
The local club Glamorgan Anglers also get a 10% discount on all purchases.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That is the downside of modern retailing, not only specific to fishing tackle.
It's one of the bugbears with pole and rod alleys, where else can you try before you buy, especially if you have a few options to try? However, the modern day approach is to go to a local tackle 'showroom', have a play with their stock, decide which you want to buy, then go home and jump on the 'net.
Companies such as AD and FR have driven down the cost of fishing tackle to the point where they are dictating the prices that others need to sell at in order to turnaround stock, and let's not kid ourselves, with some prices and lack of mark-up that's all the shops are doing once running costs are taken into account. A lot of smaller shops cannot compete with the big boys unless they run the shop as a hobby instead of a business.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Actually works the other way for me - I look at all different models in the big stores, then ask my local shop what they can do it for. Last big purchase was a seatbox and local shop did a good deal

Alantherose

Site Supporter
That is the downside of modern retailing, not only specific to fishing tackle.
It's one of the bugbears with pole and rod alleys, where else can you try before you buy, especially if you have a few options to try? However, the modern day approach is to go to a local tackle 'showroom', have a play with their stock, decide which you want to buy, then go home and jump on the 'net.
Companies such as AD and FR have driven down the cost of fishing tackle to the point where they are dictating the prices that others need to sell at in order to turnaround stock, and let's not kid ourselves, with some prices and lack of mark-up that's all the shops are doing once running costs are taken into account. A lot of smaller shops cannot compete with the big boys unless they run the shop as a hobby instead of a business.

You’re absolutely right Dave, but there’s not many that can afford to run a shop as a hobby.