RW fishing depth markers

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I was given the “heads-up” on these , self adhesive depth markers, good reference points, when looking for certain depths, when F1 fishing in the winter ..I’ve put them on all my black kits as a quick reference...I know a lot of anglers put tape around the pole to mark each foot , but this just makes things a bit neater ...You can buy them for your shallow fishing grey tops as well, with inch markers... but mine are done with black marker, so I didn’t need them ......they go from 1ft to 8ft, cost a pound a top kit 🤷‍♂️...yes you can use tape, you can use tippex, this is just a lot neater 👍. 3988D6F6-993E-47AB-BA45-EB6678259972.jpeg 93846CBF-4581-464E-863A-93C9396D3729.jpeg

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice and tidy without looking gaudy. :upthumb:
Printed matt finished vinyl I'm assuming Gaz?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Up until now I’ve always put a wrap of insulation tape, every foot, but it looks scruffy, basically If I think the fish will be in 3ft, I set the float at it, and then plumb up until I find it 🤷‍♂️
I’ll get some and give my dad my roll of insulation tape. Then he won’t be coming over every five minutes, skylining my peg and asking for tape. 🙄🤣🤣

dave brittain 1

When you start getting older, your mind plays tricks on you and you think was it the No 2 or the number 3 marker, where I set the depth because your float has slid between them when you were bagging and you're not quite sure :unsure:

You then start talking to yourself and trying to convince yourself which one it was :ROFLMAO:

Eventually common sense prevails and you get the plummet out to double check wasting valuable minutes.

For that reason and possibly because I'm old school I tend to stick with tipex and if I'm honest I'd be lost without it.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
When you start getting older, your mind plays tricks on you and you think was it the No 2 or the number 3 marker, where I set the depth because your float has slid between them when you were bagging and you're not quite sure :unsure:

You then start talking to yourself and trying to convince yourself which one it was :ROFLMAO:

Eventually common sense prevails and you get the plummet out to double check wasting valuable minutes.

For that reason and possibly because I'm old school I tend to stick with tipex and if I'm honest I'd be lost without it.
I still mark absolute depth with a band, I tend to use these more for looking for a specific depth in winter at tunnel...I’ll set it at 3ft and plumb up till I find a nice spot at that, and same with 5ft , there the most common depths they’ll be at 👍and all my grey tops are marked in inch increments to 48”. 6A16FF60-F5EE-46FE-A028-A64443DBA125.jpeg

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Put a back shot above float on firm t hat wont move . That will tell you then which marker you used , just an idea

dave brittain 1

Put a back shot above float on firm t hat wont move . That will tell you then which marker you used , just an idea
Robert I always use a back shot have done for more than 30 odd years. The problem is down here we fish for bigger than average fish, and despite having 3 silicone sleeves and backshot, if the fish takes you through rubbish the whole lot can move.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Robert I always use a back shot have done for more than 30 odd years. The problem is down here we fish for bigger than average fish, and despite having 3 silicone sleeves and backshot, if the fish takes you through rubbish the whole lot can move.
I new you would use back shot , i can tell your a top angler

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
.I’ll set it at 3ft and plumb up till I find a nice spot at that, and same with 5ft , there the most common depths they’ll be at 👍
That's interesting, genuinely - do fish feel water pressure at certain depths and stay where they feel settled or is it the light or temperature that keeps them there?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
That's interesting, genuinely - do fish feel water pressure at certain depths and stay where they feel settled or is it the light or temperature that keeps them there?
F1,s have their own rules Dave 🤷‍♂️Sometimes on the coldest day, you would expect to catch in 5ft, and they’ll all be sat in 3 ft, you have to find out quickly, where they are and put more lines in that depth to rotate 😀