runs but no fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggy

St Ives Fishing
hi all, went tenching on thursday and bagged a new pb of 7lb 6oz which was bril,l but i had 10 good screaming runs that turned into nothin after just a few seconds, what am i doing wrong, i know i got the baits right, and i was in the right place as i got the runs(i know i'm setting myself up for some grief with that comment so let rip fellas lol) so i boiled it down to my rigs being the problem. i was using carp gear, just scaled my hooklink and hooks down as the tench in my water go to 10lb+ and theres a good head of em'in there. i was using semi-fixed 2oz bolt rigs with 6lb fluro hook lengths to size 14 kamasan animal barbed hooks with mini boilies or fake corn on hair rigs. i know my tackle wasnt truly balanced but its an incredibly snaggy swim and you really need to turn the fish quickly before they get buried in em. about 5 of the runs didnt even last long enuff for me to pick up the rods and were just dropped so i know it wasnt all down to that, help!!! [:0]

Miggy

St Ives Fishing
i'm not getting into the whats right and wrong debate, but i will answer your question, i feel barbed hook turn less in the fishes mouth and cause far less damage to the fish as a result, but only if your compitent at unhooking fish properly and safely.

Dean07

I Aint Gonna Get Into The Whole Barb Hook Thing. But Congrats On Your PB :D
And I Good Luck At Gettin A 10lb One!!
As For The Runs, Im Not Too Sure :S
Maybe They Were Line Bites
Or Smaller Fish

steve-keen-15

personally i would use a 10 or probably an 8 but this has to be balanced to your bait size some people have problems with their hair rigs being too long so when the fish takes the bait it hasnt hooked or got much of the hook also carp rigs can have an angle from line to hook where you put on tubing i would not advise this for tenching as carp and tench take bait differently IM NOT GETTINTG INTO A DEBATE BUT I AGREE AS LONG AS YOU CAN UNHOOK PROPERLY BARBED HOOKS ARE MILES BETTER AS THE STAY STILL RATHER THAN BARBLESS MOVING AROUND. BY THE WAY CONGRATS ON YOUR PB

Ady

Formerly Adymon
I was going to say, id stick a size 10 on mate, but if your not confident with this size hook then try something else. I know my hook pulled with a size 12 fishing meat quite alot last week, changed to a Fox size 8 Carp hook and the fish went nowhere but my net lol

vwt4

I would agree I would say your hair rig is either too long or the bait to small so the bait is not close enough to the hook, so the fish is running with just the bait in its mouth and when it feels resistance on the run ejects the bait, shorten the hair or enlarge the bait.

Last edited:

crowder

i cant help on the topic because i know nothing about fishing, miggy sorry about the barbed hook comment, it wasnt a dig at you i was just curious, congrats on your PB.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Are there many bream in the water?

Bream have a habit of picking-up boilies, pellets etc between their protuding lips and moving off before they've actually taken the bait (and more importantly) the hook into their mouths.

Try a much shorter hair (so the bait is practically touching the bend of the hook) or just hook the baits themselves.

Simon

Ricky24

Rich
Common problems 1) Hair-rig too long 2) hooklength too long and 3) Hook size too small/Big

Don

I had two manic runs on one rod after the other and was on my rods in a flash to pull into what seemed like fresh air! The lad in the next swim had the same thing happen on both rods and again nothing.
Later that day I hooked a carp of about 9lbs trailing a length of line behind it complete with styl weights. It seemed to me that this carp had been swimming around dragging this line across ours and giving a false indication ,leastways until it got hungry enough to have a go at a bait. Maybe thats what happened in your case?

Status
Not open for further replies.