Running water or still.....

Joe C

Site Supporter
I’m off roach fishing tomorrow. Meant to be high pressure and sunny. Unsure whether to get on a The Bristol Avon and fish for roach and chub, or just head to a Stillwater and fish purely for roach, there are some good commercials with good roach nearby, but also odd swims of the Avon that do have some big roach swimming in them.
I haven’t got enough experience with river fishing to know whether the conditions and water levels will be right for roach and chub.

If anyone could help I would be most grateful!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
High pressure and sunny? The fish aren't going to like it.

Joe C

Site Supporter
That’s why I thought maybe a commercial over a river? I’m under the impression that roach and perch tend to be the best species to fish for when it’s sunny and high pressure in winter?

happy to be corrected though!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
It might well be right but I've learned over the years not to bother when the air pressure and the sun is high. That's why I made a beeline for the bank on Saturday. Low air pressure and cloudy.
I'll be interested on others thoughts.

Joe C

Site Supporter
It might well be right but I've learned over the years not to bother when the air pressure and the sun is high. That's why I made a beeline for the bank on Saturday. Low air pressure and cloudy.
I'll be interested on others thoughts.
In that case I may head to a commercial, more chance of a bite I would guess?

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Settled weather and I used to go on the river. Now I have a good roach water near me but if you are in the right area then the river should be ok

squimp

Site Supporter
On the B Avon you want colour and warmth for the bigger roach. If it is lower and clearer and maybe even cold, then target the chub. Or maybe pike.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I used to think that but I've had too many good sessions in bright conditions now to believe sun alone kills it. I think it's clear water and proper heat or proper cold in addition to sun that kills it. I do of course tend to catch better early in the day before the sun really gets up and on generally cloudy days but they can feed well enough in the sun at time as well with assisting factors. I find provided it's fairly warm or at least mild and the water has some colour to it the brightness is negated a bit plus a bit of shade on the water can help.

In answer to the OP go on the river. We've got a couple mild cloudy days coming up and most rivers are only a day or two off being at decent levels. That's followed by a colder spell that will make things much more difficult so take your chance now whilst you can.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Avon is spot on at the minute, pick your spot and you’ll catch.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I’ve seen lots of reports of people fishing the Avon today, like Chris said it looks spot on at the mo