Running out of venues after all the rain!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So we’ve finally been greeted with nice weather this weekend with no wind or rain and spells of sunshine so I was planning on fishing tomorrow. However the amount of rain we’ve had in the last month has severely limited my options! My favoured local Stillwater isn’t much good this time of year anyway but apparently it’s over the brim anyway and nearly inaccessible, my local reservoir is being used to have water off the roads pumped into it and the Thames is hammering through and finally going over it’s banks in places. I thought the canal would be an option so I took a walk down it this morning but how wrong was I! The Cherwell alongside it has broke its banks big time flooding fields as far as you can see and the canal itself is so full it’s flowing over the lock gates let alone parts of the tow path and has actually broke through it in places! Pretty hard to tell what’s canal, river of field.

Basically left with no idea where if anyway to fish tomorrow now :(

Attachments

• FC2A450C-8779-4CC3-A805-49DCA09152CC.jpeg
    FC2A450C-8779-4CC3-A805-49DCA09152CC.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2047D341-36AB-41D6-AB31-E4BDBB47681E.jpeg
    2047D341-36AB-41D6-AB31-E4BDBB47681E.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 29
  • D8001A6C-EA24-42A8-A552-7A62EA232C47.jpeg
    D8001A6C-EA24-42A8-A552-7A62EA232C47.jpeg
    681.4 KB · Views: 27

adriang

Site Supporter
Crossed the Thames at Tadpole and again at Stanthorpe/Eynesham today, it was across the fields and I saw pics that the Windrush burst its banks in some parts of Witney this morning.. I'm hoping something might be fishable next weekend!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the Thames held out for a good month but it’s finally given in and gone over in multiple places in the last couple days it seems. Decided against going anywhere today as just about everywhere would involve being up to my nuts in mud and water and I don’t really fancy that tbh. Such a shame as looks nice out again today so will have to at least do some outside activity.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Well, from here in the NE part of North Yorkshire I do not think there will be any chance of fishing rivers this year. Not just the volume of water but the debris, colour, temp and access. As I fish where you can park behind your peg you would not get the car safely on or off the fields. Even here ponds are either too full of water, Brooklands - all pegs are under water or they are too crystal clear. Although the day I did get out this week (Brooklands) the weather was fine not cold but the fish were like ice to touch.
There is going to be a lot of missed opportunities this winter as far as rivers go, the season as far as I am concerned has shrunk dramatically .

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I think a lot of anglers dismiss flooded rivers far too quickly. There are many good reasons to avoid them, but not catching is one of the least of them. Extra water certainly doesn't make life easy, but fish still feed. The biggest issue for many anglers is that they never go fishing when a river is flooded so they never find out where fish might hold in less than perfect conditions.

I've fished the Swale and Tees a little less than I might normally expect in the last month or so. However, I've still got out more than just once a week. Even just fishing a float and maggots, I'm yet to blank. Grayling are pretty obliging regardless of the conditions, provided you can find them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You couldn't physically fish the rivers here now they've gone over, you'd have to wade through fields full of a foot of water before you even found the river so it wouldn't be very safe. I've only been fishing rivers regularly for about 12 years but I've never seen flooding like I saw on the canal (still can't believe it was flowing over the lock and had broken through the towpath!) and Cherwell yesterday and now the Thames is in the fields as well apart from in Oxford itself there's no where left accessible. I'm otherwise engaged next weekend so it'll be fortnight before I'm free to fish again so I just hope it's fairly dry between now and then so I actually have somewhere to fish!

MarkW

This is a picture from Medley back in about 2007 with the river nearly a mile wide in the background. The roach is 1-10 and caught on the float. Medley 1.jpg

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
I think a lot of anglers dismiss flooded rivers far too quickly. There are many good reasons to avoid them, but not catching is one of the least of them. Extra water certainly doesn't make life easy, but fish still feed. The biggest issue for many anglers is that they never go fishing when a river is flooded so they never find out where fish might hold in less than perfect conditions.

I've fished the Swale and Tees a little less than I might normally expect in the last month or so. However, I've still got out more than just once a week. Even just fishing a float and maggots, I'm yet to blank. Grayling are pretty obliging regardless of the conditions, provided you can find them.
Sam,I do not think anyone on this post is dismissing a flooded river as the reason for fish to be uncatchable. We are talking about different and exceptional times. I presume we all are of an age where we have experienced winter conditions and fished on. But as we all get older we hope get wiser. Its not just the ability to catch the fish, we do know how to in winter mode. Its the bigger picture, the access, the safety, the unpredictability of these exceptional times and we are not as young as we used to be. A do or die attitude does not cut it with me at this stage in my life. I have nothing to prove to anyone or myself that doing for the sake of it could lead to dying for the sake of it. Nobody is looking for excuses not to fish.
Yes there will be those who will go and catch, and I wish I was there too. We can only judge what OUR circumstances are, river levels, access, safety, time available and ability to cope and make that judgement to go or not. Our ability to catch fish on a flooded river only comes into play when all the other factors are met and nobody on here as I have said has used that as the excuse not to go.
Anyway, "SHE" has told me I am not going on a river till it has become safe ;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s a pretty impressive picture Mark, it’s in the meadow there at the moment but not that bad. Clapping through though a bloke from my club had a barbel out last weekend and needed 4oz to hold bottom which is mad given it barely flows there most the time. Good roach as well, my biggest medley and in fact Thames roach full stop has not even be weigh worthy at probably not much over a pound.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Sam,I do not think anyone on this post is dismissing a flooded river as the reason for fish to be uncatchable. We are talking about different and exceptional times. I presume we all are of an age where we have experienced winter conditions and fished on. But as we all get older we hope get wiser. Its not just the ability to catch the fish, we do know how to in winter mode. Its the bigger picture, the access, the safety, the unpredictability of these exceptional times and we are not as young as we used to be. A do or die attitude does not cut it with me at this stage in my life. I have nothing to prove to anyone or myself that doing for the sake of it could lead to dying for the sake of it. Nobody is looking for excuses not to fish.
Yes there will be those who will go and catch, and I wish I was there too. We can only judge what OUR circumstances are, river levels, access, safety, time available and ability to cope and make that judgement to go or not. Our ability to catch fish on a flooded river only comes into play when all the other factors are met and nobody on here as I have said has used that as the excuse not to go.
Anyway, "SHE" has told me I am not going on a river till it has become safe ;)

As I said, there are plenty of good reasons for avoiding a flooded river. I wouldn't dream of putting myself in danger just for the sake of a fish. However, I'll stand by my statement that an awful lot of anglers dismiss the notion of fishing a river with extra water in far too easily. Suits me though, some of the best summer fishing involves a flooded river. Winter floods are a bit tougher, but the majority staying away means that you've got plenty of space to rove and find some fish. The north east rivers are stupidly quick to rise, but they drop quickly too. Neither Swale nor Tees have been at normal levels for over a month. I don't think it's been particularly exceptional though. However, they have got within a foot or so fairly regularly. If you can jump on at such times, it can be perfectly safe to fish if you pick your stetches well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When we get flooded here it’s always late autumn or winter, there’s normally next to no chance of the Thames getting particularly high June to October given how the levels are controlled but it’s been up since mid October this year but has taken a month for it to finally go over.

IanG1

Site Supporter
iI's fell just right for me, took a few weeks away from the bank till my next silvers league match at the end of the month to catch up on a bit of decorating to keep her in doors sweet. Everywhere local is in the fields be it river or pond so don't feel like I'm missing too much.

John Step

Site Supporter
Just had a walk round my club lake whilst the regulars fish the winter league. The weather forecast was for mostly dry today. Its chucking it down.
The road North out of town is closed due to flooding. Access to another lake is therefore blocked.
As for rivers the nearest to me is the Witham. Pictures have been widely put on the news of the farmhouse that is now on an island in his fields adjoining the Witham.
I doubt that will be even approachable for a month.

Freesolo82

Have not been out on the river in over 2 weeks and it must be getting to me as I am contemplating fishing a stillwater! Need to get some barbless hooks though

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only 2 weeks it's been 2 months since my last river session back in the balmy summer conditions of mid September! Even my last Stillwater session was a month ago!

Started off with my time being taken up by the rugby World Cup as much as the weather but now whilst the weekend weather has improved since the World Cup the rain on the weekdays has obviously ruined everything. Is incredibly frustrating not fishing on a nice dry and windless day at any time of year let alone at this time of year when it's only going to get harder with each passing week. Just hope I can get a session in somewhere the weekend after next before it gets really cold.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Just as an adjunct to this thread; does anyone agree with me that since the weather forecasting has taken on these %'s and it is all the forecasters its not as helpful and user friendly as the "old school" forecasting. In another life I lived and breathed the daily forecast my job and well being depended on it. Now, I do not think I could have depended on this way of presenting it. I want to know if and how much I will get rain not what are my chances of getting some rain of undetermined amount. I could be opening myself up to ridicule here but hey ho !