Running ledger Hooklength

TonyA

Site Supporter
Hi all, I'm about to try using a Locslide float and a small in-line arlesley bomb down the margins of my local commie for carp.
What length hook length do you think I should start with to avoid burying in the silt, tangling with the lead and the lead spooking the fish.?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I use a hook length from 4 to 6 inch when using a Locslide but I don't use a bomb. I use a 15g inline method. The reason is because the method is flat, there is less chance of it sinking in the silt.

TonyA

Site Supporter
I use a hook length from 4 to 6 inch when using a Locslide but I don't use a bomb. I use a 15g inline method. The reason is because the method is flat, there is less chance of it sinking in the silt.

Now, that makes sense, and I suppose you load the feeder too.? Cheers UKzero1

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Why use a locslide ? They are used in water of a good depth and distance. If you are fishing the margins even up to 8ft deep I would use the lift method.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Now, that makes sense, and I suppose you load the feeder too.? Cheers UKzero1

Yes mate, I do load the feeder with groundbait and sticky 2mm pellet (not at the same time, I swap between the two).

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Why use a locslide ? They are used in water of a good depth and distance. If you are fishing the margins even up to 8ft deep I would use the lift method.

Not always, there are times when a Locslide used in the margins will be a winner. I often use the smaller one in the margins on the clubs waters Also, it's instant depth finding, no plumbing up.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Don't have to plumb up with the lift method ,just set well overdepth and keep winding in until the float shows correctly.

TonyA

Site Supporter
I can see that's two lots of expt. I need to try. Thanks guys.