Running a new Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlon

I am due to collect a new motorbike at the weekend,and i'm wondering
how many miles i need to do to run it in.

The guy in the shop,said take it up to 7 grand in each gear,but open it up in top,run in fore 500 miles..

Any help advice welcome

Its a Yamaha YZF R6 I am getting.....

Cheers

Marlon.

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
Not exactly sure mate but if you want it running in i'll do the job for you [;)][:D]
On a more serious note doesn't it say anything in the handbook?

Mull

Advice given sounds about right.

I was told that the brains in the bike tracked the revs for the run-in period so they could check it was run-in properly. I've also been told that the engines are bench run in. They could both be pants.

With the bikes I've had I've just ridden to say 6k for 500 miles, then 7k for another 100 and just build it up. I think the important thing is not to just go on a motorway for 500 miles. You need to be going up and down the gear box and make the engine work.

I think the only benefit is a couple of extra bhp at most. I'd stick a race can on and get that from the off!

Nice bike by the way.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
The advice from the guy in the shop sounds about right.

What it really means is don't go out and thrash it, when he said "open it up in top" he means you CAN'T red line it in top !!

I don't think it makes any difference, a straight 500 mile run or 500 round town uphill and down dale.
After 500 the important thing is the OIL CHANGE that gets rid of any swarfe out of the engine after the component parts are bedded in with each other.

They probably are bench tested etc before sale but it doesn't compare to being ridden 500 miles.[:D]

If you want it running in, give it to Valentino Rossi.[:D][:D]

Benji

Account Locked
Its not the revs that are the enemy when running in a bike its the load, change gear early and dont let the engine labour. Agree with DavidSenior about the oil change, dont put the best oil you can find in a new engine, you will end up with polished bores and rings, not good for a gas seal.

methodgob

yoda
Or the alternative advice my brother was given was.....

"Why are you running it in?"

"Have you seen what the Moto GP lads do to a new engine?"

He was told modern engines will take a pasting right from the word go.If there is a fault with the engine it will show up early,if not then you won't have any problems anyway.
This did make some sense,as a lot of his friend had engines replaced before stunt shows,drag races and had no ill effects from thrashing them from the start.Lets face it...they're warrantied so why not?

Benji

Account Locked
Its about rebuilt time and expected lifetime, a race engine only has to last a weekend, a road bike has to last the life of the bike. Engineering tolerances is the difference, not to mention balance of components.

pieman

Originally posted by methodgob

Or the alternative advice my brother was given was.....

"Why are you running it in?"

"Have you seen what the Moto GP lads do to a new engine?"

He was told modern engines will take a pasting right from the word go.If there is a fault with the engine it will show up early,if not then you won't have any problems anyway.
This did make some sense,as a lot of his friend had engines replaced before stunt shows,drag races and had no ill effects from thrashing them from the start.Lets face it...they're warrantied so why not?
thats about right methodgob, modern engines, car or bike, don't need running in as such[:D]

marlon

Thanks everyone,what i was told sounds about right...

Marlon..

marlon

Thanks everyone,what i was told sounds about right...

Marlon..

bigdavewsf

id be more worried about running in my tyres mate, they can be slippy as a slippy thing on ice when new, take it a bit easy on the corners, taking it over and over a little at a time, il take a pic of my rear tyres in the morninf to show you how low you can go

Mull

I agree with Benji, you can't compare a gp bike to normal road bike. And does Rossi have to worry about chasing up the warranty if something goes wrong?

As for tyres, 20/30 miles to scrub them in.....but I guess you wont be getting your knee down if you're running it in though! On an R6 you'll be going round the tyre...no need for pictures. It'll handle whatever you throw at it. Those 'hero' blobs are there for a reason :)

If it was mine I'd run it in as most people have said above. Dave Hammond (runs local shop and done Dakar a couple of times) told me to go to 5 K for first 200 miles then and extra 1000 revs for every 100 miles. He also said thrash the doo-dahs off a 250 from the off because its going to go bang anyway!

Benji

Account Locked
Originally posted by bigdavewsf

id be more worried about running in my tyres mate, they can be slippy as a slippy thing on ice when new

Or cheat and break out some sandapaper to remove the mould release agent and the totally smooth surface, dont go crazy, just ruff it up a little.

marlon

I have run in 2 strokes when i have blown then up,350LC,in fact i had an RD 80 LC & A 125 LC and blew both engines up,i have had to scrub tyres in on most of the bikes,i have had including a GSXR 750 and a
CBR600

So i will be taking it easy.....yes

Cheers

Marlon.

Status
Not open for further replies.