Running a Dog over

Total

Site Supporter
^^@Dave.....And I hope for any costs Re: future increase on your/T's insurance? :unsure:

richox12

Why do people try to wriggle out of what is clearly their responsibility ??? I thought your offer was more than fair. The claim will go on your record anyway for 3 - 5 years so you could still be at a disadvantage.

Maybe you'll now get a claim for their vets bills.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well the car is booked in for a fortnights time with the excess to pay on completion so I've given them the opportunity of settling the excess directly with the garage via credit card if he wishes. I've got it in black and white that the owner has accepted liability so no issue there if it has to go to court.
Just would be better if people were more honourable in the first place.

Ah well, it gives me something else to do :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well here we go, spoke to the dog's owner earlier today, they aren't insured, I offered them the option of paying our excess on the policy (£200) as we were to go through the insurer for the repair, to which they agreed to pay.

Then got a message asking for photos of the damage to which were sent, payment offered sometime this afternoon via bank transfer.

Then another message saying they respectfully decline the offer to pay the excess and have we any photos of the damage at the scene of the accident.

I've told them the insurers will be notified and I will pursue them for the excess

....Small Claims Court here we come

Why are people such pillocks?
Does'nt money change people ? ??

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Earlier this afternoon whilst out with my missus, we had the misfortune of hitting a dog that ran across the road from the local park. A medium-sized Spaniel that the owners had only recently got and for some reason trusted it near a main road off it's lead. It had seen a Squirrel by all accounts.
Anyway, the fault was entirely that of the owners, my missus who was driving never got the chance to brake, hit it with the OSF corner of the car, and luckily it went under the car and out the rear without being run over by the wheels.

My missus was obviously upset, the owners were screaming we should have stopped, my main concern was the dog which was semi-conscious and bleeding slightly from the mouth, but no external physical injuries.
I got the dog to the side of the road and called the emergency vets whilst telling the woman owner to shut up and think of the dog, covered the dog up and immobilised it, explained the situation to the vet and passed my phone over to the owner who'd calmed down some.

Arrangements made to take the dog to the vets, the bloke owner got his car and I lifted the dog into it which by now was more alert but obviously shocked and in pain. They had satnav so bid them good luck and off they went.
My missus was okay just shocked as she'd never hit anything before and it all happened so quickly and out of the blue.

Once we got home I looked at the front of the car and there's a fair bit of damage to the underside of the bumper, plastic wheel arch inner, underskirt and parking sensor. Nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of care, a glue gun and some pop-rivets if need be.
Anyroad, I gave it half an hour longer and called the vets, they were there by then, and asked the receptionist if she could tactfully enquire to see if the owners/dog was insured. If not the instruction was to leave it at that and we'll sort it out at this end. It turns out they think they are so name and number has been passed to me and I said I'll call her tomorrow - now's not the time really.

The damage is immaterial really, what annoys me more than anything else are dog owners who credit their dogs with the same level of intelligence and road awareness as themselves, or maybe not re the intelligence factor. All my dogs, past and present, have been trained with road sense, they're trained to halt on command no matter what they're chasing. and even so, I would never let any of them off the lead near a main road, any road for that matter.
Why do people do it?
I would never walk a dog off the lead near a road ,its asking for trouble if it sees a cat another dog or in this case a squirrel. The owners are the ones in blame ,very careless.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's all in hand. I've sent them another message to tell them the car goes in for repair on the 13th. At the end of the repair they can pay the excess directly to the garage by credit card, please advise.

If I don't get a satisfactory reply back before the end of tomorrow I'll post them a pro-form invoice dated for the 13th. No payment, court action, no further reminders.

The daft thing is they recently moved into the area, I've got their address which isn't 2miles away, and if I was that way inclined it would be just as easy to go collecting :)

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Dave a similar thing happened with one of my neighbours a few years ago. His elderly mother was walking there dogs when one was hit by a car and unfortunately killed. They had no ins on the dog but they had something on the house ins thay they did'nt realise that paid for the damage caused to the car, Might be worth a mention to them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tbf I've been more than nice to them, even my wife's insurance wasn't interested in chasing them for payment of their costs.
I sorted their dog out for them, sorted the vets out for them, even hung back to give them some breathing time, was as nice as could be, then a sudden change of mind at their end and they've gone back on their word.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You've got me all mixed up with someone else lol ;)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
It's all in hand. I've sent them another message to tell them the car goes in for repair on the 13th. At the end of the repair they can pay the excess directly to the garage by credit card, please advise.

If I don't get a satisfactory reply back before the end of tomorrow I'll post them a pro-form invoice dated for the 13th. No payment, court action, no further reminders.

The daft thing is they recently moved into the area, I've got their address which isn't 2miles away, and if I was that way inclined it would be just as easy to go collecting :)
See if there are any dog hairs were the bumper is split, that will prove it's their dog and roadside accident